Whales in North DR

luvulongtime

Dec 28, 2005
Hi all,
Another question since everyone has been so helpful so far.
I'll be coming down from Jan 15 to Jan 25 and the LP states that this is the beginning of whale watching season.
I've always spent my time in the south in La Romana and not made it up north yet.

So I'm considering heading up there to try and catch this event. But first......

1) What are the chance of actually seeing the whales. I know nothing is ever guaranteed but.....
2) Is it best to take a flight or drive. We'll be in La Romana, or maybe Santo Domingo?
3) What is the best area to head to to see this spectacle?
4) Do you just hire a fisherman to take you out or is this an organized tour sort of thing?
5) Is this actually a good time to go?

Any experiences- good or bad are welcome

Thanks much all

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am surprised that you haven't been already told this: Get in touch with Kim Bedell in Saman?...she has a website and that its the wat to go. She is the expert.

As for how to get there--
Lots of ways. Go to Sabana de la Mar and take the ferry across.
Go to Santo Domingo and catch a Metro bus to Saman?..

HB :D:D

You will never forget it, that is for sure!

ESOLTeacher wrote this in March of last year:

Go only with KIM BEDALL and Victoria Marine. Her boats are the most comfortable in the high seas and she is the most knowledgeable. In Samana, her office is 10 feet back from the Malecon (main street). Behind BAMBOO restaurant (used to be called CAMILO'S). Try to reserve ahead of time. She is well worth whatever she charges you, and is fair and honnest.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38566&highlight=Whale+watching

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The best place to go to see whales is Samana. Samana Bay is popular with the Humpback whales During mid to late February, the height of the season, there may be as many as 250 in the Bay of Samana on any given day. In late January there won't be as many, but still chances are good you will see whales.

Usually the excursions start around the 15th of January. I would suggest planning your whale excursion for near the end of your visit to improve your chances of seeing whales.

During whale season in Samana, there are a lot of people eager to take your money, but your best chance of seeing whales is with Kim Beddall. She is the founder of whale watching in Samana Bay and is the only excursion operator really interested in and knowledgeable about the whales. If you do a Google search for Kim Beddall you will get lots of hits from people with very positive things to say about her.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
I've been whale watching in Samana before but last year was my first with Kim. She clearly is the best choice for at least two reasons. First, she is the most knowledgeable and second, her boat has life perservers. Maybe those are out of order but i'm sure you will not regret going with Kim. Last years trip was extended an extra hour because she followed a pod going further in the bay than most had ever seen before. Always great to be a part of something new.