Several left homeless in Sosua

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
A major fire this afternoon destroyed a housing area in Sosua.
People urgently need anything you can spare. Beds, clothes, etc.
Don't know the details as of yet. Caused apparently by an electrical short circuit. Calle Ayuntamiento heading down towards Larimar. Bring any stuff you can spare.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whoa, that is just down the street from the Sports Bar!!

Thanks for the heads up. Please keep us informed.

HB :D:D

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Whoa, that is just down the street from the Sports Bar!!

Thanks for the heads up. Please keep us informed.

HB :D:D
Will do. The wife was down there earlier with a buch of old clothes we had. People were bringing in some matresses etc. Hope people will help these folks out.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
OMG, Eddy. Where exactly was it? Was anyone hurt? I'm kinda worried about Angel's family in El Batey, but they're up by Plaza Caribe.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
trina said:
OMG, Eddy. Where exactly was it? Was anyone hurt? I'm kinda worried about Angel's family in El Batey, but they're up by Plaza Caribe.
It's on the same street as the bar. Further down towards Larimar. It was a little place on the right housing (Don't know how many) people. No reports about anyone hurt. There were fire truck form all over the place. I didn't get a chance to go down in the day time but was there a while ago. To dark to get any decent photos. Elena went down earlier and gave the people a bunch of clothes we had and was telling me that there were a lot of people there looking for help. They are mainly looking for beds and bedding to sleep and clothes. Should have more information tomorrow.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Eddy said:
A major fire this afternoon destroyed a housing area in Sosua.
People urgently need anything you can spare. Beds, clothes, etc.
Don't know the details as of yet. Caused apparently by an electrical short circuit. Calle Ayuntamiento heading down towards Larimar. Bring any stuff you can spare.
I know the place you mean, Eddy.
I'm going to head down there now and see what the scoop is.
Thanks for letting us know.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For anybody who lives in the immediate area and wants to help, drop by Rocky's or phone/PM/email me.
The fellow who owns the piece of land where all those little shacks were, that burned down, is a real good guy and as straight as an arrow.
He's part of the military and has been taking care of General Imbert's property next door to his, for as long as I've been in this country.
I can vouch for his honesty, and could be trusted to share the wealth of any things you might have to contribute to the families who are now homeless.

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thank you for the updates. I don't know why, but I just cannot picture where it might be...I recall little businesses along there, but don't remember seeing "houses" or shacks. I feel a little better knowing it's not where my aunt and uncle live, however, whenever something terrible happens in Sosua, I always get this horrible feeling.

Also, thank you (and Rocky) for doing what you can to help these people.

Take good care
Trina

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I,m will be in Sosua on the 19th of January,If you need anything that you can't get in Sosua let me know.I will try to bring it with me.
There will be three of us so I can bring some small appliances if needed...ie toaster,pots,pans,clothes,toys.
I know it might be a little late but I'm here if you need me.