Good Gas Station In Santiago???

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I'm getting a 'pinging' noise in my engine. I believe it is related to the gas I use as sometimes I fill up and the noise goes away. Perhaps I need to move to Premium. Fine. I would like to buy from an honest source. A station where I can be somewhat assured they are not selling me dirty or watered gas. I understand the North Coasters enjoy their Preferred Location. Anyone have a similar location for Santiago?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Haven't found a good one, but I have found some bad ones. The shell station in Los Jardines on 27 de Febrero hasn't straight up ripped me off yet, but several other Shell stations (also on 27 de Febrero) have.

The Texaco near Supermercado National has been known to pump around 80% of the gas they charge me for.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Snuffy said:
I'm getting a 'pinging' noise in my engine. I believe it is related to the gas I use as sometimes I fill up and the noise goes away. Perhaps I need to move to Premium. Fine. I would like to buy from an honest source. A station where I can be somewhat assured they are not selling me dirty or watered gas. I understand the North Coasters enjoy their Preferred Location. Anyone have a similar location for Santiago?

When in doubt, always drive up to the pump where all the motoconchos use (they know something we in yipetas don't), and if the attendant tries to usher you to another pump, stand your ground, and say something funny like 'this is my lucky pump' ;-). Also, have the attendant hand pump not preprogram the amount. For example, ask for three gallons, then make a production about finding more money in your wallet, and ask for three more galons, and so on. However, never say 'filler-up sir'. It works for me ;-)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
#1 is The ESSO station on the highway before the second light...

Run by Combustibles del Caribe and are very straight(They'll deliver diesel to your house). One of the sons is afflicted with Downs Syndrome and is often in charge of the pumps....don't let it throw you, they guy is really cool. They will never over-charge you. You can always ask for Carlos Guillermo(who plays golf with my son Marco) and tell him I sent you. Jokingly tell him I am worried about the Porche Cayenne getting dusty :D:D:p

Next is the Texaco station on the road to Tamboril just past Plaza Alfa. The owner is another old buddy, an agronomical engineer and his son, who is graduated from our Univ in Business Admin. Rafael Rodriguez was president of ANADEGAS and runs a straight up operation. (He used to own the Texaco there on the corner of 27 and Estrella Sadhal? before Nacional bought him out (big, big $$, cause he owned the station)

Next is the same Shell station on 27 de Febrero by the second light after the elevado, but I swore I wouldn't ever buy diesel there ever again because they refused to sell me some just before a price hike, the b@stards!!
The station was opened by a guy named Morrobel and my daughter was his accountant and asst. manager. It was bought by a Dominican-York for an outrageous price, and the same guy has since bought the one in front of the PUCMM....a real chopo type of guy...he bought it for his daughter....go figure..

HB :ermm:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
YUP! :p
You get on the highway at the last light (closest to the Monument, there by the entrance to Robert's place), and then take the side road (Be careful, it is a two-way roadway) that parallels the Hwy-South. It will be on your right hand side.

HB:D:D

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Sounds like a real problem..

I wonder how many times I've been taken for a sucker. I pump at Isla, Shell, Esso. Always ask for premiun gas (la buena .. as if the guy have tasted it).

My Bimmer can't run on a low-on-gas tank. So I keep more than half a tank full.:tired:

Great info, HB. Gracias..

Zeus (primus inter pares).. see ya in July..:nervous: