moving to puerto plata

alyssas

Dec 31, 2005
hi. I'm new on here, I've browsed on the site a few times and found alot of useful information. I'm moving to Puerto Plata in May and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I've been to the consulates and they can't seem to give me a straight anwser. So I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice. Here's what I'm doing, I'm moving there with enough money to live if I can't get a job right away. But I would like to move there for a couple of months look for a job and if I can't find a job then I leave when I run out of money. What type of visa or tourist card do I need for this process.I hope someone can help me.

alyssas

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
moving to pop

alyssas said:
hi. I'm new on here, I've browsed on the site a few times and found alot of useful information. I'm moving to Puerto Plata in May and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I've been to the consulates and they can't seem to give me a straight anwser. So I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice. Here's what I'm doing, I'm moving there with enough money to live if I can't get a job right away. But I would like to move there for a couple of months look for a job and if I can't find a job then I leave when I run out of money. What type of visa or tourist card do I need for this process.I hope someone can help me.

alyssas
where are you coming from???US,Canada????

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Alyssas, I suggest coming in on a tourist card. You can see about renewing it while here, or pay the small fine if you aren't able to find work and return home. If you find work, you should think about making your status more permanent. But a tourist card should do you while you are making up your mind whether to stay or go.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Ken is correct, come in on your tourist card and then stay. Should you decide to leave after a few months, pay the fine for overstaying. SHould you decide to stay longer apply for residency, the fee will include the fine for overstaying. It's that simple.

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
tourist card

Do you automatically receive a tourist card when you visit or do you need to request/apply for one for a certain time of stay?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ambre said:
Do you automatically receive a tourist card when you visit or do you need to request/apply for one for a certain time of stay?
The tourist card is purchased for $10US upon arrival. It is good for 14 days. Stays longer than that will require additional payments when you leave the country. See page 4 for exact amounts.

They recently changed the system and they now take the card right after you purchase it. It the past you kept it until you left the country.