Samana Intl Airport to Open December 1st, 2006 (unofficially)

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
http://www.hoy.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=49284

as per this article and executives of aerodom speaking off the record. keep in mind that contract with World Bank stipulates that Aerodom must have work completed by (end) of 1st quarter 2007 but it would make perfect business sense to open prior to peak season - early december.

if anyone has any updated photos and can post them, it would be appreciated.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
We passed by the new airport about three weeks ago and stopped in to see what was going on. We were not allowed entry beyond the heavy equipment compound where we were stopped by a guard. Unfortunately I had forgotten the business card of the resident engineer in charge and did not remember his name. We could see the columns rising in the distance for the terminal building and the aduana area and there were quite a few huge dump trucks full of dirt passing back and forth from where they were mining it to the construction site. As we will probably go shopping again in San Francisco de Macoris in several weeks and will pass by the site, we'll contact the engineer beforehand and see if we can schedule a visit for photographs.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Snuffy said:
One year away and no photos. What do you think is going to happen?

actually if you do a google search for "el catey" and hit images only, then you'll see a few decent shots - all of which seem outdated. would be great if andy can add some more.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
like I have said in the past...I was there not to long ago and took pics. I can email them to anyone that wants to see them. They do not tell a story of an airport being one year away from opening. But if they step on the gas at supersonic speeds they might accomplish it. I just don't think so.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Jasper,
We're not going to be able to get back to SFM shortly as planned so go ahead and send someone to get the pics. Just clear it with Aerodom first so entrance won't be denied.