Anyone scared to death, planning to leave?

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
The media in DR and also the U.S. has reported an increase in violent crimes in D.R. (some never heard of before)...

I always felt safe in my country, but the recent news reports and warnings I have received from some fellow Dominicans (living there and abroad) have made me feel concerned.

I am currently living in the U.S. , and would appreciate getting feedbacks about the reports from those currently living in D.R. Is the situation really out of control or do you think it is being exaggerated? If true, how do you feel, are you planning to leave?

MeDominican

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
All is normal here. I see no crime anywhere.
you look for crime, you find crime.
AZB

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Not according to this report

This is just but a small excerpt from online report from Wordworx Travel, regarding incidents of crimes in DR.

CRIME ^
Crime is on the increase throughout the Dominican Republic... reports of violent crime against both foreigners and locals are growing. Criminals are becoming increasingly more dangerous and visitors walking the streets should always be aware of their surroundings...

Passengers in private taxis (known locally as ?carros publicos?) are frequently the victims of pick pocketing and passengers have on occasion been robbed by the carros publicos drivers. Visitors to the Dominican Republic are strongly advised to take only hotel taxis or taxis operated by services whose cabs are arranged in advance by phone and can subsequently be identified and tracked.

Burglaries of private residences have increased, as have crimes of violence. Home invasions have become more frequent and increasingly violent. The U.S. Embassy is aware of at least two home invasion robberies since August 2003 in which the victims were U.S. citizens. In each case, the Americans were robbed and held hostage for several hours.

(MeDominican)

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
El Listin Diario

I read El Listin Diario (online) on a daily basis, and this paper has been increasingly reporting incidence of violent crimes throughout the country, i.e. armed robberies, assaults, murders, kidnapping.... etc., and in the case of Santo Domingo, the crimes reported, have taken place not only in the barrios, but also in nice residential areas of the capital... and also the universities.

Last month the paper reported that the government assigned hundreds or more cops to patrol the Avenidas de las Americas to prevent crimes against Dominicans living abroad, and arriving in D.R. for the holidays. This sounds very serious to me... I never heard of anything like that being done before.

Anyway, like I mentioned in my original post, just want to get feedbacks about the reports from the people living there. Thanks to all that answers.

MEDOMINICAN

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
There is crime in every country in the world.

I never had a problem in the Dominican Republic.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Crime is everywhere

I live in a small town of about 18,000 people just north of NYC. People have been murdered, robbed, mugged, beat and raped in this town too. Do I flee here also? I have also been living in the DR (La Union) since 1995. Other then a few idiot tourists getting beat up by usually (other tourists) and some Dominicans getting crazy with other Dominicans (usually their women) I have yet to see anything which would warrant me exiting this country. Sure, there is violence in the DR but there is violence everywhere, EVERYWHERE.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
DominicanScotty said:
I live in a small town of about 18,000 people just north of NYC. People have been murdered, robbed, mugged, beat and raped in this town too. Do I flee here also? I have also been living in the DR (La Union) since 1995. Other then a few idiot tourists getting beat up by usually (other tourists) and some Dominicans getting crazy with other Dominicans (usually their women) I have yet to see anything which would warrant me exiting this country. Sure, there is violence in the DR but there is violence everywhere, EVERYWHERE.

EXACTLY!!!

Violence and crime is everywhere.

I never had a problem in the Dominican Republic. :classic:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I live here.
In the heart of Puerto Plata.
Yes, I also read that crime is encreasing, and I do not know on what basis, i.e old statistics vv new etc, so I can not on comment that.
But I can comment on life here.

Home safety is an issue, have always been. Meaning steelbars etc.
Dog, yes.
I, as most other people, do not have more money on me than I need for my errand/outing. Cellphone in pocket. etc etc.
Certain areas can not expect a visit from me, day or night time.
The usual things, as in any town or place in the world.

On the other hand, as I am writing this now, both my entrance door and patiodoor are open, and I would not feel safer anywhere else.

Scared? In daily life, NO.
Scared of the scene in a big picture, what is happening in the world, YES, but that is another thread.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
While its true that violent crime has been on the rise in the DR, this is mostly notable because there has normally been so little of it. It is still less violent than the US.

So where would you go if you were to "leave" ?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I also live and work in Puerto Plata and feel very safe! YOu have to use your head and take precautions like anywhere. From what you read it appears that some forms of crime are up, but my guess is that could be worldwide. And we all know what actually sells newspapers ..... bad news, so that is what we hear.

Quote: The U.S. Embassy is aware of at least two home invasion robberies since August 2003 in which the victims were U.S. citizens. In each case, the Americans were robbed and held hostage for several hours.

Well I supposed that 2 home invasions is quite a lot over 2 1/2 years....... Sounds to me like they are fear mongering, my question would be WHY? What are they trying to sell?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I hardly ever let security threats stop me from going somewhere, unless it's Ha?ti-like insecurity, and have hardly ever felt really unsafe in the DR, even in barrios that are supposedly off-limits to whiteys like me. But yes, you do notice the very high private security level, steel bars, dogs, private security guards with shot guns, something completely absent from where I live. This might be an indication of higher security risks, or at least higher perceptions of security risks.
There have been threads about expats having maids; my question: does anyone here have a private security guard? How did you take the decision to hire one? Because of experiences in your neighbourhood, because of advise from people that know, because they're relatively cheap and everyone has one?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since I am the old curmudgeon of this board, please allow me to Tsk Tsk this fear mongering.

Those that have travelled with me at one time or another will have noted that I do not detour around "hot" barrios and always seem to find somebody to say "HI!" to. That is the secret..make friends in high and low places.

Now, that said, I have to admit that crime, mostly petty crime, has been on the increase, yes it has. These are robberies of every sort, and for the most part they are committed against Dominican by Dominicans (many of whom are graduates of the US Prison System University). Kidnappings are up. But just about every single one has been solved and nobody hurt. And, as has been hinted at, a lot has to do with sex, drugs (and rock and roll? Nah!) and lack of opportunity.

MOve? He!! NO!

HB :D:D:D

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
A visitors point of view

I am presently in POP and this is my 4th trip in about 6 months. I had the pleasure the other day of being given the local tour by Carina. We walked throughout the downtown area of POP, and it was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had here. At no time did I ever feel threatened in any way, although I admit that I am always on alert here, just as I am back at home. I make it a point not to appear as if I am a tourist (you know, walking around looking up and around as if I am new here), but, it may also help that I look Dominican as well.

In any event, it is my opinion that you have no more to fear here than you would anywhere else in the world. I think if you carry yourself like a potential victim, you increase your chances of becoming one.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Hillbilly said:
(many of whom are graduates of the US Prison System University).
HB :D:D:D
I believe this is having the biggest impact on the crime rate in the DR. As long as ConAir delivers 70-100 released felons to the DR every trip, the crime rate will continue to rise. If they were released in the US there would at least be some parole and/or probation supervision. In the DR they are turned loose and either eat or be eaten.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Questions On The Crime Rate In the DR Will Always Be Worthless On DR1!

And in any public forum for that matter.
Those who respond all have their own "Agenda" , here on DR1 as well!
Some,like "AZB" ,have "several" points of view ,if you have a "Memory",or care to search their posts, he supports both sides of the issue,depending on how he feels on any given day !;)
If you want to know,read the daily newspapers,watch the "Talk Shows" on TV,and include what you "see" on DR1 as part of a big picture.
I have visited here for more than 20 years,and lived,worked,and raised a family for ten."Crime" :bandit: is up in all catagories! I take precautions to safeguard my family and property,that I did not feel were needed as little as five years ago."Am I afraid to live here?" "Hell No!"
Would I have any fear of coming here to vacation,or live?" ."HELL NO!"

But can't "SOMETHING" be done about the numbers of prostitutes calling my office all day long with promises of "HOT SEX"????????;)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Criss Colon said:
And in any public forum for that matter.
Those who respond all have their own "Agenda" , here on DR1 as well!
Some,like "AZB" ,have "several" points of view ,if you have a "Memory",or care to search their posts, he supports both sides of the issue,depending on how he feels on any given day !;)
If you want to know,read the daily newspapers,watch the "Talk Shows" on TV,and include what you "see" on DR1 as part of a big picture.
I have visited here for more than 20 years,and lived,worked,and raised a family for ten."Crime" :bandit: is up in all catagories! I take precautions to safeguard my family and property,that I did not feel were needed as little as five years ago."Am I afraid to live here?" "Hell No!"
Would I have any fear of coming here to vacation,or live?" ."HELL NO!"

But can't "SOMETHING" be done about the numbers of prostitutes calling my office all day long with promises of "HOT SEX"????????;)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Solution: Meet up with them and have some fun during your lunch break. ;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I have never been the victum of a crime in the DR nor have I ever felt threatened. Neither have my friends who have lived there much longer than I.

I walk to streets at night in SD and never feel threatened. Then again, I stay in good neighborhoods.

There is crime in the DR just like anywhere else. Like AZB said, "you look for crime, you find crime."

Larry

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Remember everyone here in DR1 lives in high class country clubs...

Or maybe even gated communities:ermm: I can only think that Dominicans in the island have become so use to there conditions that the minority there, hear no evil, nor see no evil....people down there are obsessed with los ladrones, y atracadores...and if you walk around or act as if everything is normal, the locals will constantly remind you...and oh! those iron bars, and one ton garage doors, glass filled block walls and bob-wire all around the homes is not a constant reminder, then try and focus on all those folks who walk around with those un-concealed loaded guns in the front of there pants, or is that just normal cultural behavior....if that is not a clear and cut sign of a crime issue then what do think it is! "Don't you think":ermm: sociaty there is paranoid and terrified of becoming robbed or mugged on a consistant basis...I believe D.R. can be a low crime island if the police were more visual and legitamently respected!....till then.. D.R. has major crime issues for such a small island!

P.S. for those of you again..who make constant comparisions to the U.S.
remember this country must handle other countries misfits like:
1. Italian mafias
2. Russian mafias
3. Chinese mafias
4. Local terrorist cells
5. Mexican drug lords
6. Mexican Gangs
7. Puerto Rican gangs
8. Dominican Drug lords
9. Jamaican Drug lords
10. African American gangs
11. Colombian dealers
12. Cuban Dealers
Ironically Haitians haven't met this nations high crimes list yet..Hymmm!;)
but if they had criminals, the country would have to deal with them too.:ermm: