Best Sports Bar in Sosua/Cab and maybe POP

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
My vote goes to Eddie's Sports Bar in Sosua. Here's why:

Big screen tv with a proper sound system.

Eddie is a Sosua original who's been there for the community before many of us had even heard of Sosua

Pretty good service -- my beer never got empty, which is a nice surprise in most bars in town

Eddie will take event requests and actually take the time to find what you're looking for on the net and get it. You never have to ask him twice for something. I've tried to get other bars to put on an event and it was like pulling teeth.

Eddie actively promotes his place. He takes the time to do simple things like bringing by an up-to-date events list to the resorts. A simple thing, I know, but you'd be surprised at how many people don't do that. Also, he asked for permission before putting up his advertising -- can you believe that many people just drop in, post their crap up lke they own the place and never even have the courtesy to say please or thank-you?

They will also change their schedule depending on what the people in the bar want. Point in case, last night I showed up with 4 other people to watch some mixed martial arts. The rest of the patrons were more interested in that than in what was on the list, so right away the MMA gets on the big screen and the rest to the small screen. A small adjustment, but it shows they're on the ball instead of just going through the motions.

Eddie does what most people would expect from a Sports bar -- but unfortunately most bar owners here don't do -- he adapts to his clients. Add to that the fact that he's a nice guy and spends time mixing with his patrons and he gets my business every time.

Best,

joe

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Eddy is tops!!!

I have known Eddy nearly 10 years and he has always been a class guy. The man has a heart of gold! I liked him so much that I stayed at the condos for many years where he and his wonderful wife Elena managed. Eddy will sit down at your table and buy you a beer. He will do whatever it takes to make your stay a wonderful one.

He deserves our business, we deserve his friendship!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
STUPID QUESTION!!!

LIKE, is there any other?????? HUH???? Where the facilities are fabulous, up to date, with great service, cold beer and good people all the time? HUH????

The fame of Eddy's is far and wide...and so well deserved!

HB, with the WORD

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Eddy said:
You're bringing tears to my eyes.

Now if you will only stop measuring the whiskey like it is gold we will love you even more.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Good reasons. I'd also add two reasons:

1-heavy duty satellite systems. . .if Eddys can't get it in. . . .you aint watchin it

2- bar staff is pretty easy on the eyes and a friendly group of girls.

I was at Eddys long after the thanksgiving bash and these girls that had worked their butts of all day. . .instead of crashing and sitting down slumped in their chairs to recuperate. . . . .were like. . ."when can we dance"?

Only in the DR, up on the bar, crank up the tunes and the girls had a blast. . . . .

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Eddie is a nice guy

Plus you watch all your sporting events..... in a nice friendly atmosphere and great service, by his pretty staff..... all in one.;)

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Eddies Bar is the place. We live here now and found Eddies place for the SuperBowl. He is a great guy, sorry to hear he sold it, will miss him. Is there a Sports Bar in POP?

thanks Phil&Gerry

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Is there a Sports Bar in POP?

Hemmingways in Playa Dorada...feels/looks/menu kind of like a TGIFridays or Bennigans. Food and drinks are ok, but a little overpriced...I think they have 6 or 8 decent-sized tv's (maybe 36") but didnt notice a big screen... maybe they have one for big events...

And in Cabarete... there's Jose Ohea's which does have a big screen and several other tv's..is on the beach, and basically fits the description of Hemmingway's...with a slight Irish accent...

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Jose O's in Cabarete has the full NFL package and has all the game on. Happy hr. is 4-7 I think. So we watch the games and the bill isn't too bad. They'll put on any event you want. All you have to do is ask. Eddy's is great, but we don't live in Sosua and I don't drive if I drink. Their both great. You can't lose.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Downwinder in Cabarete

The Downwinder has been open a few months. Great TVs with sattelite. Also nice owners, good food and AC. It's on the east end of Cabarete near Janets market.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
The Shark Bar

The Shark Bar in Sosua is on Pedro Clisante, near Dr Rosen. Great food and all are very welcome!:glasses:

My vote goes to Eddie's Sports Bar in Sosua. Here's why:

Big screen tv with a proper sound system.

Eddie is a Sosua original who's been there for the community before many of us had even heard of Sosua

Pretty good service -- my beer never got empty, which is a nice surprise in most bars in town

Eddie will take event requests and actually take the time to find what you're looking for on the net and get it. You never have to ask him twice for something. I've tried to get other bars to put on an event and it was like pulling teeth.

Eddie actively promotes his place. He takes the time to do simple things like bringing by an up-to-date events list to the resorts. A simple thing, I know, but you'd be surprised at how many people don't do that. Also, he asked for permission before putting up his advertising -- can you believe that many people just drop in, post their crap up lke they own the place and never even have the courtesy to say please or thank-you?

They will also change their schedule depending on what the people in the bar want. Point in case, last night I showed up with 4 other people to watch some mixed martial arts. The rest of the patrons were more interested in that than in what was on the list, so right away the MMA gets on the big screen and the rest to the small screen. A small adjustment, but it shows they're on the ball instead of just going through the motions.

Eddie does what most people would expect from a Sports bar -- but unfortunately most bar owners here don't do -- he adapts to his clients. Add to that the fact that he's a nice guy and spends time mixing with his patrons and he gets my business every time.

Best,

joe

Eddy no longer owns the establishment and since he has left the place has always been a ghost town when i pass by. Eddy I do miss ya.

Jose O's in Cabarete has the full NFL package and has all the game on. Happy hr. is 4-7 I think. So we watch the games and the bill isn't too bad. They'll put on any event you want. All you have to do is ask. Eddy's is great, but we don't live in Sosua and I don't drive if I drink. Their both great. You can't lose.

Jose Oshays is great to watch American football because he has all the games but don't say the bill isn't so bad, They have prices right up there with the Shark bar but it is a much more classy joint right on the beach. Cheap Jose Oshays is not, It is a tourist trap but does serve its purpose at least on NFL sundays, other than that I would go elsewhere.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
I think the guys at Eddies are a decent lot though. Its an english family running it and it is still a warm and friendly welcome when you go in.
Its still a sports bar with its own kitchen doing food but without the orgional Eddie.
Eddie was one in a million and a great guy - but things move on.......
Its still worth a visit!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
downwinder is good and well priced, but sharks and oshays....way way overpriced .... like rd320 for a burger....downwinder 150 for the same....plus beer is well priced there too and they have the stanley cup as well..... hammerdown