Land prices

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
I'm looking for prices of land in the DR. I would like to research the whole country if I could. I want to buy an 1/4 acre somewhere.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
First off, you are then looking to buy either 1000 meters or 2 tareas. (1 acre is approx. 4000 sq meters and one tarea is about 630 square meters.)

Then, it depends on the location. I have been told that you could buy the corner of Ave Lincoln and 27 de Febrero (presently a "car lot") in Santo Domingo for about RD$80,000 per meter. Too high?

Then you could go to Gazcue in Santo Domingo and buy a teardown house on about 1000 meters for about RD$8000 to $10,000 a meter. Too high?

Then you could go to the east side of Santo Domingo near Ave San Isidro, or the north side of Santo Domingo near Villa Mella ,and probably pick up 1000 meters of raw land for about RD$2000 to RD$5000 a meter, but no chance in the foreseeable future of reliable electricity and no water from the city. Also, you would need a watchieman on the payroll for protection in either area.

Too high? Go out in the country, find a dominicano with a big piece of land, and tell him you want to buy a small piece of his. Wave about US$8,000 to $10,000 in cash in his face, and then carve out about 2 or 3 tareas, and then spend another year getting the title changed so it covers just your land. Also plan on supplying your own electricity, own water, and having to use a cell phone. And, if you will be gone for any length of time, building a small watchieman house, and hiring someone to live there and protect your investment.

Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You know? For an off-the-cuff answer, that is pretty good.

You can find rural property that is still reasonable, and if you look around, read the distress notices in the papers and visit the banks and savings and loan companies you can find urban bargains. It takes a bit of legwork, but it is doable.

HB :D

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
tarea
a traditional unit of land area in the Dominican Republic and some parts of Central America. The tarea is generally equal to 900 square varas, so it is the area of a square 30 varas (about 25.05 meters) on a side. In the Dominican Republic, the tarea equals about 628 square meters or 751 square yards; this is 0.0628 hectare or 0.155 acre. The Spanish word tarea means a task or job, so this unit, like many land area units, originated as the area which could be "worked" in a given time.

Here in El Seybo in the country you can get a tarea for as little as 4 or 5 tounsand pesos per. The problem with this land at that price is that all or some of it is on the side of a mountain. The Dominicans have no problem with this as they can plant and farm anywhere but if you want to build a house on said land it helps if one leg is shorter then the other.

Rick

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
GringoCArlos said:
First off, you are then looking to buy either 1000 meters or 2 tareas. (1 acre is approx. 4000 sq meters and one tarea is about 630 square meters.)

Then, it depends on the location. I have been told that you could buy the corner of Ave Lincoln and 27 de Febrero (presently a "car lot") in Santo Domingo for about RD$80,000 per meter. Too high?

Then you could go to Gazcue in Santo Domingo and buy a teardown house on about 1000 meters for about RD$8000 to $10,000 a meter. Too high?

Then you could go to the east side of Santo Domingo near Ave San Isidro, or the north side of Santo Domingo near Villa Mella ,and probably pick up 1000 meters of raw land for about RD$2000 to RD$5000 a meter, but no chance in the foreseeable future of reliable electricity and no water from the city. Also, you would need a watchieman on the payroll for protection in either area.

Too high? Go out in the country, find a dominicano with a big piece of land, and tell him you want to buy a small piece of his. Wave about US$8,000 to $10,000 in cash in his face, and then carve out about 2 or 3 tareas, and then spend another year getting the title changed so it covers just your land. Also plan on supplying your own electricity, own water, and having to use a cell phone. And, if you will be gone for any length of time, building a small watchieman house, and hiring someone to live there and protect your investment.

Good luck.

Quik, someone find me a farmer with some land near or close proximity to the coast, any coast away from Santo Domingo. Surely it must be possible to get electricity and running water. Never the less, I'm focusing on just the right location to build a house in the future. The future being 5,6,7 years down the road. We wanted to start looking for a lot now as we see this as the most difficult and most important part of building a dream. I fancy the Boca Chica area or perhaps the north, seems like all of Canada lives up there. Anyway, as we are only in our late 20's we expect this lot searching to take quite a while and did not want to "miss the boat". After all nothing is getting any cheaper!