Update - May 2006 Opening of 2 Bahia Principe Hotels in Samana

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
there are a lot of hotels construction, re-modeling etc in samana.

I noticed a few days ago that they had demolished the hotel by the bridge on the bahia (I forget the name of it...I think its Hotel Gran Bahia) and rebuilt it as a 5 star.

then there's another on the route to las galeras ( I forget the name of that one too) which is either going to demolish and rebuilt part of it or constructing a whole new wing.

then there's the action around las Terrenas.

Jasper said:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The hotel overlooking Samana harbor and by the "bridge to nowhere" is the hotel Cuyacoa and has been extensively remodeled and added to. The hotel on the way to Las Galeras is the Gran Bahia and it too is under renovation as is the third area hotel, the one on Cayo Levantado. None are being demolished, but extensively upgraded.

In anticipation of the new international airport opening this year in el Catey and the new Santo Domingo-Samana highway that will be finished in a few years there is a lot on construction now on the Samana peninsula.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
and this from www.dr1.com news

9. Metro minister is big investor in Samana
The director of the department building Santo Domingo's controversial first metro line, Diandino Pena is a leading investor in the largest tourism development under way in Samana, Las Terrenas Country Club, according to a report in Mercado Magazine, carried by Cicom's Resumen Turistico.
Joan Giacinti, former operator of airline services at Las Americas International Airport is the spokesperson for the project, and says that it is part of a plan to convert Las Terrenas Country Club into another Biarritz or St. Tropez, destinations where luxury is combined with beach and sun. He says Samana does this better, because it also offers exuberant vegetation and Dominican hospitality.
Mercado magazine reports that this is an initial investment of US$60 million. Giacinti explained that the golf course is the work of Andy Dye Designs. The Las Terrenas Country Club covers an area of 1.2 million square meters, and the golf course occupies two thirds of the project. Villas, apartments and lots are for sale.
Giacinti says they seek to attract, among others, retired Europeans with pensions of EUR2,000 to EUR3,000 a month. Since its discovery as a tourist destination, Samana has been popular with the French and European markets. Giacinti says that an air ambulance service to travel to Santo Domingo, Puerto Rico or Miami will be available.
Real estate in Samana has increased significantly in value, with the progress being made on the new airport under construction west of Samana and prospects for the completion of the highway that will reduce the driving distance from Santo Domingo to Samana to two hours.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"Real estate in Samana has increased significantly in value, with the progress being made on the new airport under construction west of Samana and prospects for the completion of the highway that will reduce the driving distance from Santo Domingo to Samana to two hours."

Jasper,
And we've been saying this for how long now? Funny, we don't hear so much from Samana's detractors now. The gorilla wakes.

Andy B

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Contact Infor for Cuyacoa

Andy B said:
The hotel overlooking Samana harbor and by the "bridge to nowhere" is the hotel Cuyacoa and has been extensively remodeled and added to. The hotel on the way to Las Galeras is the Gran Bahia and it too is under renovation as is the third area hotel, the one on Cayo Levantado. None are being demolished, but extensively upgraded.

In anticipation of the new international airport opening this year in el Catey and the new Santo Domingo-Samana highway that will be finished in a few years there is a lot on construction now on the Samana peninsula.

If someone could provide an email or phone number for the Hotel Cuyacoa it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Budson

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
If you will click on the link to the Bahia-Principe website Jasper provided in the first posting in this thread you will see a contact Bahia-Principe link. As the hotel has been closed for a while, there is no local telephone listing in the phone book. BTW, it is Cayacoa and not Cuyacoa as I spelled it.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
noviembre de 2006

I quote from the article referenced in the prior post:

"El ministro de Turismo dominicano, F?lix Jim?nez, tambi?n presente en la rueda de prensa, explic? que Saman? ser? el referente del turismo de su pa?s despu?s de que se inaugure el nuevo Aeropuerto Internacional de esta ciudad, en noviembre de 2006."

So, it is opening in May, or in November??? Andy??

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Two Bahia Prinicipe hotels are slated to open in May, El Catey should start operations in November.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Oops, my bad. Too much Brugal, and not enough Cafe Puro. Thank you for setting me straight!

I guess it makes sense for the hotels to start in low season as they train their hundreds of new employees.

About their employees, anyone know where the lower level staff will come from? I doubt there are enough bodies in Samana/La Galera to cover those three hotels, PLUS the airport?

Will they bring in seasoned vets from other resorts that they own in the RD (for low level) and seasoned international vets for higher level? How does that work?

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
they will come from all over the country. wherever there is work, people will follow. the area - and the country for that matter - really needs a trade school for the tourism industry.