Wood Burning Stove "Pot Belly" type service

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Looking for a store selling wood burning stoves or maybe someone who may be able to fabricate one. Its service would be as a heat source in a mountain cottage to take the chill out the house during the cold winter nights and as a place to gather to put your feet up on the rail and chew the fat.

Regards,
PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Why not get one on the internet and ship in in?

HB

H.B. The internet is a valid option and I have researched a site. Yet, there may be a source that can be found in our own back yard that may be more convenient and economic than having one shipped from offshore. Somebody on the island may know of a local vendor.

Regards,
PJT

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
PJT said:
H.B. The internet is a valid option and I have researched a site. Yet, there may be a source that can be found in our own back yard that may be more convenient and economic than having one shipped from offshore. Somebody on the island may know of a local vendor.

Regards,
PJT
I think the guy in Santo Domingo that has the Western Snow Plow dealership also has the Vermont Castings wood stoves franchise.

Seriously though, I would be very cautious with a wood stove inside the house here in the DR. In Vermont we usually have to allow wood about 6 months after cutting to dry so that it is suitable for firewood use. This is using hardwoods such as oak. If you burn wood that is not properly seasoned it not only produces little heat, but large amounts of creosote. Creosote deposited in you chimney or flue is a sure means to a chimney fire. I can't imagine where you will get suitable firewood and how you will season it with the high humidity of the DR. Although a wood stove is a great look, a propane heater is much safer.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While the idea is appealing, I am not sure if it is at all feasible. Up in Constanza it would be fabulous (Or Jarabacoa)
Wood:Mesquite and Aroma, leucaena. I hope someone chirps in here with some other suitable woods.

HOWMAR: I was going to suggest that place down by the ski shop that sharpens ice skates and has ice fishing huts for rent :p:p:p:p

HB :D:D