What Level Of Security Is Required?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I have a friend looking at purchasing real estate along the north coast somewhere...anywhere from Sosua to Cabrera. He wants to build a nice big home. We were discussing security and I believe you need a fortress. He seems to think that is going overboard. I think...wall, dogs, gun, and someone to watch your home when you are away. Is that to much? I don't live on the N. Coast. I know to some degree it depends on exactly where the house would be located. A guarded community would be different from the lone house.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I live in a gated community on the north coast and some of my neighbors have been broken into. I have four dogs and a wall and it seems to keep the bastards out. I also have a simple alarm system hooked up to the doors just in case.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Security is such a relative issue, however, a starting point could be the truism that different people have differing needs. And an even more truism is that a flaunting exhibitionist person needs more protection and security than a modest unpretentious one. For example, I have a relative living right off the road between Sosua and Cabrera, sitting on over one million square meters of ocean-front land, just a few kilometers down from Playa Grande. His house is humble looking, except for the tell-tale array of antennas on his two story house (he's a ham radio operator), and has has two helpers to tend the farm that provides all the family's basic sustenance. His wife and children are trained in the use of firearms, even the youngest girl, and have designed their daily routines to minimize exposure to crime. They are very happy, and don't want to move. Notwithstanding, the rest of the family are in the process of selling the land.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
We will be moving into a gated community in Sosua. Since we are not comfortable with guns, we will be buying a dog to go along with our largely symbolic fence. My hope is that if intruders get by the community's security, the dog will make enough noise to alert us and the guards. Personally, I am not willing to live in an area where that is not enough protection. - D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Danny W said:
We will be moving into a gated community in Sosua. Since we are not comfortable with guns, we will be buying a dog to go along with our largely symbolic fence. My hope is that if intruders get by the community's security, the dog will make enough noise to alert us and the guards. Personally, I am not willing to live in an area where that is not enough protection. - D

Not trying to undermine your faith in the effectiveness of canine protection, but a very common ploy of burglars is to treat household dogs to appetizing morsels, poisoned of course, before breaking in. Good luck!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Mirador said:
Not trying to undermine your faith in the effectiveness of canine protection, but a very common ploy of burglars is to treat household dogs to appetizing morsels, poisoned of course, before breaking in. Good luck!

I know that's possible, but that's all I can do. I would consider myself lucky if our house was robbed while we were out. While we're in, hopefully the dog would bark a few times as the stranger approaches. We will have security, and the community is small. I also plan to have some kind of alarm system. Those little battery operated units are actually quite loud. - D

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
If I lived in dr and I really wanted to keep my home secure I would put up a few signs that say "DANGER!!! LAND MINES" in spanish. Then I would pay some beggar guy in a wheelchair or missing a leg like US$100 in pesos (half now half later) to go around town telling everybody of how he lost his leg to the crazy gringo with landmines surrounding his house. :)

Sep 19, 2005
I am a life member of the nra , and as such know lots about guns, gun laws and statistics dealing with crime. It is used by the nra to prove our view of the right to keep and bear arms. That said it has been written many times over that criminals dont want to confront you, they dont want to be identified. Obviously for the very very rare cases where murder is the intent, or isnt worried about by the perpitrator this would not apply, but dogs are the biggest deterant to breakins. Not giving the idea that there is something VERY worth while to steal is also very important. Having a military or police friend stop by and say hello sends a message. the dominicans bad guys want to stay clear of ****ing off some high ranking officers friend. Even if he isnt that good a friend!!!!!!!!! Lights are a big deterrant as well Motion sensors. Walls that are not EASILY climbed are good as well. good luck Bob

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Sensor activated lights, inside bars on all windows, (can't be jacked out or cut easily & don't rust), exterior bars on all outside doors, heavy bolts inside solid wood bedroom doors, timer activated inside lights & a radio, a loud siren that can be activated from the bedroom, a cel phone in the bedroom with a list of appropriate numbers, a watchdog, (Dominicans are petrified of dogs).
Watchie-men are useless. Canadian Bob.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
k1w1 said:
wow I have an island (alcatraz) I could sell ya.
Is this mainly city living??

This is gated communities. Part of DR for expats, not DR.;)

I live in a cityhouse downtown Puerto Plata, close to the Amber Museum if you know where that is.
I have steelbars on every window, a gate, like every middle or upper middleclass Dominican house has. No more.

I also have the best security in the world, that is neighours I know and that care for their street.
Many (most ) people living here permanent, old members of this board , do not live in ways described in this thread.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Living in the DR is hard, petty crime is a way of life. Unfortunately it has only become worse in the past 10 years with all of the inflation and increased poverty. The middle class has pretty much disappeared. Believe it or not there was a pretty large middle class 15 years ago.

Anyways, here is how my family keeps our house locked down:

Bars on every single window, AND barred doors. If you have a home, build a VERY HIGH WALL. I'm not talking the pathetic 6 foot walls, I mean 15 foot walls. Place something sharp on the top of the walls, if you want to go cheap the old dominican way is broken bottle shards. The walls are so high you can't see it anyways. Or you could put barbed wire embedded in the cement.

If you live near another home, make sure your walls aren't accessible from the other home. Having 15 foot walls do nothing if a burglar can access that wall from the ceiling of a neighboring home. In that case, build the wall even higher on that side.

A dog is a must, preferably more than one. Also, if you have a 2 story home, ensure you have a solid, steel or wood door at the top of the stairs blocking access to the second floor from the downstairs portion of the home. This door should also have a strong metal gate. Security systems are also useful, with very loud alarms. Floodlights outside you can turn on from your bedroom is also a must.

Really, nothing is going overboard in the DR. However, you need to realize if you are an obvious foreigner living in a poor area you WILL be targeted regardless of the amount of security you possess. For those of you who live in a high rise in Santo Domingo, it is also CRUCIAL you have bars on your patio glass doors. Too often people overlook this purely due to being on the 4th floor or higher. Patio doors are very simple to break into.

Hope this helps. Oh yes, I personally hate guns but BUY ONE! Make sure everyone knows you carry it. Keep it outside of your belt buckle, the locals will notice. If there is a shooting range, go shoot a lot. It's actually quite fun. Shoot little guns, big guns...........talk to people. Be that crazy NRA american they know will shoot them in a second.

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Is it worth it?

I have been reading the posts on this thread and others on one I posted regarding the rise in crime in D.R., and cannot help but wonder why is it that if you have to do so much, as you reported, to secure yourselves / properties, you choose to live there.... I would think that most of you would not choose to live in a dangerous neighborhood in your own country, so why have you chosen to live this way there? I am curious.:surprised

MeDominican (and I love my country)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I think expats who manage to survive here have a side to them that loves the element of danger, the challenge, all the obstacles that have to be overcome in order to get along here. Probably makes us feel like we are living versus being part of a society where everything is regulated.

I came up with a good definition for this place. It is like a good drunk and a bad hangover. It can be a lot of fun living here and a headache dealing with all the negatives.

Security is a serious issue we have to deal with here. Remember when people went west and lived alone on the land...they were their own security. They had to be very alive...I mean alert.

Keeps you on your toes.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Snuffy said:
I think expats who manage to survive here have a side to them that loves the element of danger, the challenge, all the obstacles that have to be overcome in order to get along here. Probably makes us feel like we are living versus being part of a society where everything is regulated.

I came up with a good definition for this place. It is like a good drunk and a bad hangover. It can be a lot of fun living here and a headache dealing with all the negatives.

Security is a serious issue we have to deal with here. Remember when people went west and lived alone on the land...they were their own security. They had to be very alive...I mean alert.

Keeps you on your toes.

I don't agree with you about the danger aspect. But I do feel that I am looking at things from a fresh perspective when i am in the DR, and it makes life a little more exciting. Travel in general does that to a person. - D

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Robberies are certainly on the increase. The robbers tend to target old or crippled folk. Violence also seems to be increasing, probably due to Dominican Yorks who learned all the tricks while in US jails. Don't for a moment underestimate the thieves here, Dominican or Haitian. The fact remains that the jails here are simply a rotating door system (unless drugs or a murder is involved.) After a thief is arrested, he will be released after 3 days (yes, 3 days) unless swift action is made through a Dominican Lawyer. Even that may not be enough to keep the person in jail for long. Notice I said "person", as a lot of thievery is by women. The thieves are remarkably observant, curiously agile and very persistent. Take care! Canadian Bob (Only mugged once....)

A

apostropheman

be very careful while walking alone in isolated areas. that is any area without other people in sight. between xmas and new years i as relieved of just over 5000 pesos, at knifepoint, by 2 guys on a moto. this happened on a lonely stretch of road just north of the highway between the Trade Winds and the German butcher in early afternoon. there is nothing in that area except a field with a cow to the west and a stand of trees to the east. since it was 2 young guys, one with a knife, and i value my life more that $150 USD i quickly handed over the cash rather than risk the alternatives. humbling to say the least. :surprised

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
apostropheman said:
be very careful while walking alone in isolated areas. that is any area without other people in sight. between xmas and new years i as relieved of just over 5000 pesos, at knifepoint, by 2 guys on a moto. this happened on a lonely stretch of road just north of the highway between the Trade Winds and the German butcher in early afternoon. there is nothing in that area except a field with a cow to the west and a stand of trees to the east. since it was 2 young guys, one with a knife, and i value my life more that $150 USD i quickly handed over the cash rather than risk the alternatives. humbling to say the least. :surprised

That's a very dangerous location at night. I had an apartment on the corner accross from the German restaurant. My girlfriend used to hear people getting mugged on that little stretch of road very often.

With all due respect to the people who don't like having crime discussed, there is no such thing as too much security, but too little can be fatal. I have health insurance policies that I hope I will never use, but I have them just in case. I won't have a gun and I won't have a high wall or barbed wire. I won't even have an attack dog - but it is irresponsible to criticize those who do. - D

A

apostropheman

i looked at an apartment near there in May...a 2 or 3 story white building in a culdesac with a villa at the end of the road?

anyway...i'd heard it was potentially a problem area...at night but not in broad daylight. changed my perspective of Sosua somewhat.

A

apostropheman

will there be cannons and artillery?:nervous: :rambo: