Dehumidifier

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I goofed on my first attempt and asked about humidifier, which is just what is not needed.

Any suggestions on where a dehumidifier can be purchased in Puerto Plata, Santiago, or Santo Domingo?

Loaded

Dec 26, 2005
Ken,

Although I do not know what your exact applicaiton is; but both dehumidifiers and air conditioners use about the same amount of electricity. I would think you could use an air conditioner set on med or low to achieve a excellent level of drying while also bringing down the temperature. Just a thought as when I lived in tropical climates without many basements dehumidifiers seem to be unavailable. Another reason, dehumidifiers produce lots of heat, in hot tropical climates this would be a serious negative. AC acomplishes this same drying effect but places the hot air outside. Just my .02

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Loaded, for your response. The person for whom I asked the question first tried using the dehumidifier setting on the AC, but that made it too cold for comfort.

Loaded

Dec 26, 2005
Ken,

This may sound silly, but if this made it to cold, if it was a window unit, they could just place the unit inside effectively just removing the water. You would need to set the unit up on a stand and collect the drops of water. But this would also rasie the temperature slightly. I have tried all sorts of things in my day. My only other suggestion would be to find an old fridge, and take the coils and compressor out and blow a fan over the coils with a collection plate. This is a easy to make dehumidifer. Takes some mechanical inclination but fairly easy. I suggest 4 guys and old fridge a hacksaw and 3 cases of presidente!!! :)