Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Japanese restaurant

Samurai maintains its leadership as by far the best Japanese restaurant in Dominican Republic.

Last night had dinner at the Samurai Restaurant's new location. Have good news and bad news. First the good news. The place is outstanding. They have really outdone themselves. They are now located on the street that runs parallel to Abraham Lincoln, behind Unicentro Plaza. North of Radio Shack. Just don't remember the exact name of that street.

This facility that has nothing to rival any Japanese restaurant around the world.
    They have several areas for different Japanese foods. If you want to impress someone, take them there. Food is good.

Do not expect any bargain, actually it is quite expensive, more so the drinks at RD$230 + 16% + 10% for a bloody mary. But given the settings, if you can get someone to invite you there, or splurge once in a while, then go for it. First class.

The bad news is that they have eliminated the very popular and extremely good value Sunday brunch buffet -- all you can eat.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I have three teenage boys (17, 15 and 13). They are all in top shape (capoiera practioners) and slim but it is impressive how they could pack in all the sushis and sashimis. Samurai is now off limits for the boys. I have not yet told them.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to hijack, but for the North Coast, Wabisabi in Cabarete is far and away the best sushi/sashimi restaurant. Also not cheap, but quality costs and they went out of their way to do it right. They even serve Sapporo and Kirin beer!

I highly recommend it, and I've actually lived and worked in Japan.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you been to the new Samurai in Santo Domingo? Please visit and tell me which is a better restaurant, taking into consideration the facility and the food variety. Next time I am in Cabarete, will try to make it to the Wabisabi restaurant to cast my vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1w1
    Good for you. Sounds like you're on top of things. (I recall what I use to be able to eat while on the national swim team and it still grosses me out!! haha)
    I'm interested whether
    a) any locals (natives) would venture into sushi? (or does economics prevent this)
    b) any locals (natives) would perceive 'all you can eat' as a value? (I'm under the impression that food is purely 'sustenance' (sp) and not 'recreation' )
    thanx & rgds
    I haven't had the pleasure of going to Samurai and probably won't for the foreseeable future , but when I've gone to restaurants that serve sushi at least 90% of the customers are Dominican.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

seems there are still people out there who believe that every Dominican lives in the barrio and eats only platano and rice. Wrong. Plenty of Dominicans with money...lots of money.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores
    Samurai maintains its leadership as by far the best Japanese restaurant in Dominican Republic.

Last night had dinner at the Samurai Restaurant's new location. Have good news and bad news. First the good news. The place is outstanding. They have really outdone themselves. They are now located on the street that runs parallel to Abraham Lincoln, behind Unicentro Plaza. North of Radio Shack. Just don't remember the exact name of that street.

This facility that has nothing to rival any Japanese restaurant around the world.
    They have several areas for different Japanese foods. If you want to impress someone, take them there. Food is good.

Do not expect any bargain, actually it is quite expensive, more so the drinks at RD$230 + 16% + 10% for a bloody mary. But given the settings, if you can get someone to invite you there, or splurge once in a while, then go for it. First class.

The bad news is that they have eliminated the very popular and extremely good value Sunday brunch buffet -- all you can eat.
    Went there tonight, paid about US$100 for 15 salmon sushi (part of the bill, the total for 2 persons was US$250). Expensive. Salmon sushi is better in AKA for me. As well as Miso soup and ensalada de algas. I will never go there again. AKA is the best sushi place in Santo Domingo for me. And AKA is cheaper. And I'm a real sushi lover, I've visited all Nobu restaraunts around the world, I love to make sushi by myself and I know what I'm talking about. Even a soy-sauce is not the best in Samurai and wasabi is too dry.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joecanada
    Not to hijack, but for the North Coast, Wabisabi in Cabarete is far and away the best sushi/sashimi restaurant. Also not cheap, but quality costs and they went out of their way to do it right. They even serve Sapporo and Kirin beer!

I highly recommend it, and I've actually lived and worked in Japan.
    Hmm,hmmm,hmmm You guys are now making me crave the perfect combo, Sushi and Sake.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to add: a place that is positioning itself as a luxury japeneese restaraunt MUST have ume-shu (japaneese plum wine). Menus are ugly too, design and cosiness are so-so too, but of-course ten thousand times better then it was in Samurai on Lincoln. Checks are hand-writed, salmon roll had a smoked salmon instead of fresh (which I asked), I haven't eat it, but they charged me for it anyway. By the way, does anybody knows what are their plans with their property on Lincoln?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1w1
    Excellent point Snuffster! My bad and most humble apologies to you & yours. I guess I'm wondering how often you see your bretheren (or whatever) out there spending US$250 for two people to eat sushi? Please school me.
    Most appreciated. (My impression (admittedley mostly from DR1) is not so often. I'd love to hear otherwise. Thanx again)
    Plenty of money being spent in the nicer restaurants.

DR1 is not a good reflection of the DR, the majority of the posters here are casual visitors or tourists, so they never get to see or feel the "real" DR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast