Not Dominican Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatGirlSlim

Jan 4, 2006
I'm a native-born Dominican, raised in NYC. I had not visted DR until I became an adult. While visiting DR recently, people in different parts of the country would tell me that I was not really Dominican. Without knowing me, one guy told me, "Tu niega tu pa?s". I think that's terribly rude. Others simply didn't even believe I was born there. I'm trige?a and have a strong Dominican upbringing. I speak lousy Spanish but I can defend myself. When I was in a resort in Saman?, I was treated well for several days until one of the waiters found out I was Dominican. Initially, he thought I was Canadian or Puerto Rican. Suddenly, my drinks and food stopped coming and the service worsened. I was also sexually harrassed on the telephone. I'm thinking WTF? I thought it was an isolated incident but traveling throughout the country, I found that many so-called "real Dominicans" had an issue with me. I don't look black and I'm certainly not gringa. I'm extremely proud of being Dominican but I feel like I don't belong to any group. Do some of you have this experience?

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Yeah I can relate to that!

My parents are both Dominican with strong Dominican traditions use in the home as I was growing up, but once you hit school in the U.S. you learn to follow the American way of living which is not bad, but very different from Dominican culture for sure.

As I got older I began to associate myself with the Dominican community a little more, became a member of a social club in all, got into the music business etc, but just like you I thought maybe going to the island you would try and get in touch with that side, and see how you fit in, but as I ventured out there for several month's, I realized how American I really was, I believed that more folks there would be more open to how other sociaty's live but in D.R. it was either there way or face there harsh opinion on who they believe you are or are not, but you what!..I'm glad I made the trip, I learned alot about the natives, and most of all about myself.

I will advise this to you...don't crack you head over it, either way and in a weird way, you are a different breed of Dominican, just don't mine those who have a problem accepting you for who you are, and try not become someone you are not for the sake of fitting in, or to prove that you belong... Alex Rodriquez right now is feeling that same dilema... so remember they have the problem and not you!: Peace to you my sista:classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wierd, huh? I remember way, way back when, my mother telling me that even though she and her family had lived and worked and had been educated in the city where I was born, she would never be fully "accepted" there....

I have lived here longer than you have been alive and I will never be fully accepted here, either. Just a fact of how people are, I suppose.

However, service is supposed to be service and that was inexcusible....

Do come back and look at Santiago, as we are a nice place, at least to my way of thinking....

HB :D:D:D:D

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
FatGirlSlim said:
"Tu niega tu pa?s".

You should have told them "yeah, the one where people are stupid, ignorant and corrupted. The one that cannot provide food and basic needs for its people" all that but in Spanish and you see this would shut them up right away. When Dominican tells me "Tu niega a tu pais" I say "y con orgullo que lo niego".

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
When I go to the resorts, this is usually the chain of events. They see me and talk to me in English, When I speak to them in Spanish they ask if I'm from Puerto Rico or Cuba. When I tell them I'm Dominican, they say, oh you must be from Santiago. Never fails!

However, once they find out I'm of Dominican descent at the resorts, I actually get better service. It also helps that I always tip.

No one has ever told me "que yo niego el pais." If they did, I'd ask them why? or how does someone who's visiting the country, deny it? I think they problem they had with the original poster is her lack of Spanish. Tiene que apprender la lengua.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Medals and money

There was an article in the local paper about a year and a half ago about this very subject. The author summed it up by stating how Dominicans jump to claim someone as their own if they have money or a gold medal. But the kid born in Haiti to Dominican parents is never really "Dominican".

ARod is an American who recently decided to "embrace" his Dominican side because Pedro/Manny/David Ortiz are worshipped here and he was on the **** list.

Feliz Sanchez is the funniest. He was born, raised, educated, trained and coached in the US. Undoubtably the fastest man in the world at the time of his winning but due to a bad day he did not make the US team for the Pan Am Games. He ran for the DR and went on to win the Olympics. You would have thought that they discovered fire by the reaction. They even renamed the Juan Pablo Duarte Stadium (one of the founders of the DR) after Sanchez...because he can run fast. :)

Medals and money was a spot on article.

Yes, I know that many of the athletes in the US come from other countries. But in the US when someone becomes a citizen they start calling themselves an American and it is accepted. If you move to any other country in the world and become a citizen (Italy, the DR, wherever) and started calling yourself an Italian, Dominican etc. they would laugh you out of the place.

Be proud of wherever you are from but be realistic too. And if they treated you like a "sellout" it is only because you have had opportunities that they know they never will. Also, only a tacky, uneducated person would make those comments to you.

Scandall

Scandall

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
It's a shame that you had to deal with such ignorant behavior and mentality

The only point I would like to input in this thread is that no one denies who you are or what you identify with. Your identity forms via the culture your parents exposed you to which is Dominican and regardless where you live, what you think, feel, say, believe will always have Dominican elements whether you live in country or not. The only advice I have for you is: tienes que aprender el espa?ol and that's not difficult. Make that your goal so the next time someone tries to insult you about your culture and who you are you can answer back in Spanish.

Buena suerte y no te des por vencida.

LDG.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Every country has its share of ignorant people, although most people are ignorant in one thing or another.

There are many types of Dominicans in all sense of the word, please don't judge the entire country based on those who are shallow in their approach.

In anycase, improve your Spanish by taking courses. Perhaps, you would want to take a course here (either the capital or Santiago). The experience will most likely be much more different and welcoming since the type of people who actually attend courses of any kind tend to be open minded people. Open minded people tend to have better social class and they actually think before they talk or say something.

Also, as a rule of thumb, you will be considered an expatriate Dominican or dominicanyork. There is a negative connotation to such people, but if you present yourself well to people and show them that you are worthy of knowing, usually people will respond in kind, except for the most shallow of people.

Next time you come, make sure you don't let the rude people ruin your stay. I'm sure there were many people who were nice to you, but somehow the negative people caused such an impact in you that the good nature of the nice dominicans towards you was overshadowed. Perhaps that is what occured, which is understandable.

Little people always try to make you feel bad, but great people will make you feel great too! Thus, avoid the little people or ignore them all together and only associate yourself with those who give you a reason to be happy rather than miserable.

This means that next time you come, mingle with different types of people and of different classes. There will be a group that will accept you for who you are and those are the people that will benefit from your goodwill and vice versa.

-NAL

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Scandall said:
I know that many of the athletes in the US come from other countries. But in the US when someone becomes a citizen they start calling themselves an American and it is accepted. If you move to any other country in the world and become a citizen (Italy, the DR, wherever) and started calling yourself an Italian, Dominican etc. they would laugh you out of the place.

Be proud of wherever you are from but be realistic too. And if they treated you like a "sellout" it is only because you have had opportunities that they know they never will. Also, only a tacky, uneducated person would make those comments to you.

Scandall

Scandall

There are many Dominicans that do sell out and it is only unfortunate that we have to only listen to fatGirlSlim's side of the story.

Maybe she asked for a seafood soup and complained to the waiter that there was a giant spider in her soup when it was just a crab "the food her mother raised her on"

He probably brought her some tostones to snack on and she probably made weird faces.

Then she probably asked them to bring her the special day dessert only to scream to the manager that her Habichuelas were sweet.

Then most likely they brought her a mango and she asked if that funny looking thing was eatible.

SELLING OUT IS WHEN YOU ALTERNATE ALL THE THINGS THAT YOU LOVE OR USED TO LOVE AS A DOMINICAN TO THINK THAT YOU DISTANCIATE YOURSELF MORE FROM BEING DOMINICAN BY DISLIKING YOUR OWN PEOPLE OR THE CUSTOMS YOU WERE RAISED WITH.

Plus I bet that FatG was very demanding which is something very dominican after they shake their dust off their pants and move to the big city.

Sexual Harassment?....even my pet monkey would get harassed if i put a skirt on him.

Your drinks probably stopped coming because you were not tipping too generously. I doubt that they would've stop your drinks if you kept tipping specially since for most dominicans money has no ethnicity, color, country or gender.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Mr_DR said:
There are many Dominicans that do sell out and it is only unfortunate that we have to only listen to fatGirlSlim's side of the story.

Maybe she asked for a seafood soup and complained to the waiter that there was a giant spider in her soup when it was just a crab "the food her mother raised her on"

He probably brought her some tostones to snack on and she probably made weird faces.

Then she probably asked them to bring her the special day dessert only to scream to the manager that her Habichuelas were sweet.

Then most likely they brought her a mango and she asked if that funny looking thing was eatible.

SELLING OUT IS WHEN YOU ALTERNATE ALL THE THINGS THAT YOU LOVE OR USED TO LOVE AS A DOMINICAN TO THINK THAT YOU DISTANCIATE YOURSELF MORE FROM BEING DOMINICAN BY DISLIKING YOUR OWN PEOPLE OR THE CUSTOMS YOU WERE RAISED WITH.

Plus I bet that FatG was very demanding which is something very dominican after they shake their dust off their pants and move to the big city.

Sexual Harassment?....even my pet monkey would get harassed if i put a skirt on him.

Your drinks probably stopped coming because you were not tipping too generously. I doubt that they would've stop your drinks if you kept tipping specially since for most dominicans money has no ethnicity, color, country or gender.

I can see you are probably one of those "little" people that Nals was talking about. Why do you assume that she did anything wrong?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Not at all!

Mr_DR said:
This is NOT TRUE!. I know because I had a similar experience a few moons ago:

I was at a resort where a waiter was treating me like a king and all of a sudden he asked me " you speak great spanish, where are you from?". When I told him that I was born in the DR, he immediately responded: " but you are white, you don't look like a Dominican, what's your last name". After I told him, he said "Oh, you are one of the XXXXXses" and walked away.

All of a sudden, he started to ignore me. Even though he was stopping by my table about every 5 minutes, he stopped serving me. I called him once and he ignored me, even though he was not busy. I called him a second time and he again ignored me. Another waiter tried to serve me but I declined because I needed to get to the bottom of why this guy, all of a sudden, started to ignore me after being so cordial and friendly at the beginning.

I just got up, went straight to him and asked him what his problem was. Guess this, he told me that "ustedes, los Dominicanos blancos se creen que el pais es de ustedes(white Dominicans, like you, think that you own the country). I really do not know where this was coming from. I treated him very, very nicely.

Well, since I give respect and I demand respect, I called the resort owner, who happens to be my brother's best friend/childhood friend and told him what had just happened, while telling him that I did not wanted him to fire the waiter. He gave the guy a choice: serve me or lose his job. After a few apologies, he started serving us and only us. And since I have no patience with ignorant people, I just let him do his job and ignored him 100%. I really felt sorry for him being so ignorant.

What is jealousy?, I don't know'. Was it inferiority in his part?, I don't know. All I know is that he, all of a sudden, decided to stop serving me and I was not going to stand there and take his disrespect!.

Bottom line, it happens. It happened to me and I see it happening to many Dominicans when I visit resorts, especially the dark-skinned Dominicans.

In my case, it had NOTHING to do with being a lousy tipper or being indifferent to him, it had everything to do with a prick that had a inferiority problem. Oh well.

And btw, DO NOT think that I did something wrong or that I was out of line. Those DR1 members that have spent time with me on get-togethers can attest that the real Miguel is 1,000% different than the "computer Miguel". Outspoken, yes, but very, very respectful!.

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
miguel said:
And btw, DO NOT think that I did something wrong or that I was out of line. Those DR1 members that have spent time with me on get-togethers can attest that the real Miguel is 1,000% different than the "computer Miguel". Outspoken, yes, but very, very respectful!.
I would not doubt you.

My coment was more directed to the pauper.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
bob saunders said:
I can see you are probably one of those "little" people that Nals was talking about. Why do you assume that she did anything wrong?

For the same reason that people think that every dominican knows how to dance merengue.

For the same reason that people think that you are not dominican if you don't eat CHIVO.

For the same reason that people think that you are not dominican if you are white.

For the same reason that people think that you are not dominican if you are early to a meeting.

For the same reason why people think that you are not dominican if your not loud.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
miguel said:
I just got up, went straight to him and asked him what his problem was. Guess this, he told me that "ustedes, los Dominicanos blancos se creen que el pais es de ustedes(white Dominicans, like you, think that you own the country).

Technically, isn't this statement true?

:)

Just kidding.

Scandall

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
he told me that "ustedes, los Dominicanos blancos se creen que el pais es de ustedes(white Dominicans, like you, think that you own the country). I really do not know where this was coming from. I treated him very, very nicely.

Nothing dispells this myth more than going to the owner of the resort, whom you personally know, to complain. ;)

Malafama

Mar 17, 2005
About 2 years ago i went to the island with my fiance, who happens to be Native American.. While making the line in Burger King to get lunch (That is what she wanted to eat, i wanted Mofongo) i was asking her what she wanted, of course i'm asking her in English because she doesn't know any spanish. The person behind me said "I hate when these people learn a little english and act like they don't know or can't talk spanish anymore. Acting like they are better than everybody else" I was very offended and she asked me what was going on but i decided to keep it to myself because i do tend to get upset really fast and i was with her and my little son. In my case, it is not the "white Dominican" thing because i'm dark, i guess you can just call it ignorance.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
miguel said:
What is jealousy?, I don't know'. Was it inferiority in his part?, I don't know. All I know is that he, all of a sudden, decided to stop serving me and I was not going to stand there and take his disrespect!.
Jealousy? Jealous of what? It can't be jealous, unless he is jealous that you can afford to vacation in the resort he works in, but he himself can't afford to do the same. Since you're dominican as himself, why not vent the anger by using a false pretence such as skin color... perhaps this is what happened.

Or

Inferiority? Let's think about this for a moment. There could be inferiority in his perception of himself and disliking himself, this could lead to ackward moments when he encounters a dominican who may look the way he "wants" to look or wishes to look like or something along those lines.

Another way of inferiority complex arising is if he grew up being comfortable with himself (and since he's a guy this probably was the case since Dominican males tend to be much more comfortable with themselves than do Dominican women who are constantly changing their looks, worrying about their appearance, etc). The inferiority could have arisen as he meets people from other countries in the resort where he works are begin to acquire foreign ways of looking at different people. This could also happen with acquaintances that he might have living abroad who are subjected to foreign ways of looking at race and they influence him.

And, of course, the other inferiority complex could arise if he is disgruntled with his life accomplishments or lack of such and he will take his personal discomfort on a dominican of higher status, which by the fact that you are able to vacation in the place where he works puts you in a higher status, at least for the vacation time period.

This could also be a case of what I will begin to call the "tourist effect". The tourist effect is when tourists of higher economic positions than Dominican resort workers or average Dominicans in general, come to the country and begin to associate with those Dominicans of lower class. Since many of the tourists comparable Dominicans will rarely mingle with lower class Dominicans, the lower class Dominican begins to develop hatred towards upper class Dominicans given that "upper class" foreigner come and mingle with him while upper class Dominican simply don't do such thing.

What he, of course, does not sees is that many of the tourist mingle with lower class Dominicans, but they don't mingle with the lower class of their own country! But, people only believe what's in front of their eyes, especially when it comes to lower class Dominicans who often need to see something in order to believe and no book, expert, or otherwise will be able to change their minds until they see it with their eyes.

All of this are traits of "little people" who simply live to make others feel bad. The only reason a person would want to make others feel bad is if he/she feels inferior to that other person. Insults, disrespect, envy, and jealousy are some of the most clear signs of a person's admiration towards you. They admire you to the point of disliking you, all with you doing absolutely nothing other than breathing and being alive in his/her presence.

Let's simply thank God that there are more important things in life than dealing with human beings who lower themselves to inferiority by their own thoughtless actions. Why do I say this? Because when Miguel saw the Dominican resort worker for the first time, he probably thought nothing bad of him. In fact, he probably felt happy for the worker since he has a job at the resort! I'm sure after the ackward experience, Miguel's perception of the resort worker was along the lines of pity and of less caliber than before.

Notice, Miguel did nothing to make the resort worker feel or be seen as inferior in Miguel's eyes. The resort worker did that on his own.

Again, typical of little people.

-NAL

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Maybe yes, maybe no; I don't know!

Nal0whs said:
Jealousy? Jealous of what? It can't be jealous, unless he is jealous that you can afford to vacation in the resort he works in, but he himself can't afford to do the same. Since you're dominican as himself, why not vent the anger by using a false pretence such as skin color... perhaps this is what happened.

Or

Inferiority? Let's think about this for a moment. There could be inferiority in his perception of himself and disliking himself, this could lead to ackward moments when he encounters a dominican who may look the way he "wants" to look or wishes to look like or something along those lines.

Another way of inferiority complex arising is if he grew up being comfortable with himself (and since he's a guy this probably was the case since Dominican males tend to be much more comfortable with themselves than do Dominican women who are constantly changing their looks, worrying about their appearance, etc). The inferiority could have arisen as he meets people from other countries in the resort where he works are begin to acquire foreign ways of looking at different people. This could also happen with acquaintances that he might have living abroad who are subjected to foreign ways of looking at race and they influence him.

And, of course, the other inferiority complex could arise if he is disgruntled with his life accomplishments or lack of such and he will take his personal discomfort on a dominican of higher status, which by the fact that you are able to vacation in the place where he works puts you in a higher status, at least for the vacation time period.

This could also be a case of what I will begin to call the "tourist effect". The tourist effect is when tourists of higher economic positions than Dominican resort workers or average Dominicans in general, come to the country and begin to associate with those Dominicans of lower class. Since many of the tourists comparable Dominicans will rarely mingle with lower class Dominicans, the lower class Dominican begins to develop hatred towards upper class Dominicans given that "upper class" foreigner come and mingle with him while upper class Dominican simply don't do such thing.

What he, of course, does not sees is that many of the tourist mingle with lower class Dominicans, but they don't mingle with the lower class of their own country! But, people only believe what's in front of their eyes, especially when it comes to lower class Dominicans who often need to see something in order to believe and no book, expert, or otherwise will be able to change their minds until they see it with their eyes.

All of this are traits of "little people" who simply live to make others feel bad. The only reason a person would want to make others feel bad is if he/she feels inferior to that other person. Insults, disrespect, envy, and jealousy are some of the most clear signs of a person's admiration towards you. They admire you to the point of disliking you, all with you doing absolutely nothing other than breathing and being alive in his/her presence.

Let's simply thank God that there are more important things in life than dealing with human beings who lower themselves to inferiority by their own thoughtless actions. Why do I say this? Because when Miguel saw the Dominican resort worker for the first time, he probably thought nothing bad of him. In fact, he probably felt happy for the worker since he has a job at the resort! I'm sure after the ackward experience, Miguel's perception of the resort worker was along the lines of pity and of less caliber than before.

Notice, Miguel did nothing to make the resort worker feel or be seen as inferior in Miguel's eyes. The resort worker did that on his own.

-NAL
When I said "jealousy", I meant it as him thinking that since I was born in the DR, he should not waste his time dealing/serving a Dominican.

All your examples could be true. I really do not know.

All I know is that I try to treat EVERYBODY, poor, rich, white, black, orange, with the same respect and when I sew that someone was disrespecting me, I confronted him. I did not make an scene. I went very quietly to him and our conversation was only heard by him and I. When he made a stupid comment, I knew that nothing I say would change his mind so I just did the next best thing, make his boss aware of the situation. I mean, SOME of us are always complaining that a resort worker was rude to us and we do nothing about it. SOME tourists resort to yelling and make the worker feel like garbage. I did not, I did not yelled or made an scene. I had his boss talk with him in private.

Actually Nals, you are more than correct. I felt very sorry for him. Sorry because he truly seemed like a nice guy. And I really felt sorry because I really did not wanted him to think that I thought that I was better than him because I am just his equal.

After the episode, it was a little awkward so we left and since I believe in "two wrongs don't make a right", on my way out, I just padded him in the back without saying a word. I just wanted to let him know that in my case, he was wrong.

Simbul

May 26, 2005
Nal0whs said:

Or

-NAL

Very POWERFUL argument/opinion/point. I agree.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
I have to disagree with you about the sell-out issue..

Mr_DR said:

SELLING OUT IS WHEN YOU ALTERNATE ALL THE THINGS THAT YOU LOVE OR USED TO LOVE AS A DOMINICAN TO THINK THAT YOU DISTANCIATE YOURSELF MORE FROM BEING DOMINICAN BY DISLIKING YOUR OWN PEOPLE OR THE CUSTOMS YOU WERE RAISED WITH...

Look! this may shock you but...I don't like: bachata, presidente beer, Fernando Villalona, playing Domininoes, the Serie del Caribe, Pedro Martinez, Mamajuana, Juan Luis Guerra, abichuela con Dulce, arepa, drinking alcohol, obsessed with baseball..etc, this doesn't mean that I'm a sell-out!...these are called "choices" there not the most popular one's, but this is just me, My parents and grandparents, aunts and uncles are so Dominican that you would think that after living in the U.S. for so 15 or 20 yrs they would at least try a hot dog with relish and sourkraut I may add or a braut, sweet potatoe pie, a big Mac for cryin out loud! :ermm: but no sir! it la Bandera, batata, yaotia, platonos, yuca or bust!! Amazing...

My parents understand that they raised seven American children, who love NFL and College football, listen to Rap and R&B music, some married caucasian girls, others Puerto Rican and a jamaican girl, but in a weird way we demand of our spouses to learn Dominican cuisines, and tolerate and listen to our parents talk loud and pull your a-ss out of a chair and dance merengue all night long!..these are the benefits of living in two worlds my friends.. different yeah! sell-outs na!! we are of Dominican heritage non the less, were just not soaking and swimming in it as others do, to many things on this earth to do, and to explore, and learn, to be just a typical Dominican. Hang with me and we will have some fun, and still be Dominican in the end:nervous: I've been to a live marilyn mansion concert, bruce springstein, no doubt with my daughter, wu tang clan, Dominican festivals, Tailgate parties, Daytona 500, Def Comedy jams, Brian Mc Knight concerts, Super bowls, Final four championships, WWF events, sat down in Dallas Texas and listened to Yolanda Adams and the reverend T.J. Takes speak the word of God... and how to be a man and what not, pure goose bumps.. and so many many other things...but I am still Dominican! :classic: unbelievable:surprised

And if by speaking spanish you think that this will gain you more points in the D.R. then think again...they profile you, and heavily criticize you if you don't carry that Dominican slang of speech, go deep voiced and hold your verbs for a long time with strong jestures, and that witty comedic style of humor, if you don't posses those characters they will tell you that your from somewhere else regardless, speak to perfect:ermm: speak to broken:ermm: don't speak it at all :angry: to me culture means limitation and a form of segregation...there should be more focus on being a good human open and diversified, then dwelling in cultural differences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.