Orang or Verizon Compatible Cell Phones - Again

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
This has been hashed and re-hashed so many times on the board, I know but please bear with me as when I searched I couldn't find anything that actually answered my question completely.

Here it is: Which phones bought outside of the DR are Orange or Verizon compatible?

I am under the impression that a triband unlocked or GSM (or 'world') phone works with an Orange SIM card .... is this correct?

What about Verizon?

Thanks for your patience!

Stay well,
Amy

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
amy2761 said:
I am under the impression that a triband unlocked or GSM (or 'world') phone works with an Orange SIM card .... is this correct?

That is correct - if it's unlocked and triband, then you can use an Orange DR sim in it.

I am not sure about Verizon though because Verizon phones don't have a sim.......??

Daydream

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Ok - thanks for clearing that up ... Orange dealt with, now on to Verizon ....
Anybody know about Verizon?

Stay well,
Amy

Katy76

Sep 27, 2005
Verizon is so much better- go with them if you can- we have a phone with them and one with Orange, which drops calls and never seems to find a signal, but maybe if you are in a bigger city (we?re not) with more cell towers the service is similar?

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
In Orange you will need only your passport to activate the pre pay service, and the most of Orange phone loose the signal so many times, it?s the same every where, you can check centennial service too, if you will be in the area where they have coverage they have nice prices, and in weekends all local calls and calls to USA cost 50% less. www.centennialwireless.com

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Verizon

amy2761 said:
Ok - thanks for clearing that up ... Orange dealt with, now on to Verizon ....
Anybody know about Verizon?

Stay well,
Amy

Last November I bought my 5 year old Samsung CDMA phone to the D.R. with me. (from Canada) Not tri band. I took it in to the 3-Com store in Cabarete and he hooked it into the computer and got it working just like that with a new D.R. Verizon phone number. 400:p which included 300:p air time. A great deal I felt.

Orange couldn't do anything for me but that was because they didn't have a technician in the store I think. I know others who have hooked the same phone into Orange with the chip in behind the battery.

I don't know anything about locked or unlocked but thats how easy it was for me. Couldn't recommend the Cabarete 3-Com store more highly. That was last November anyway, lol.

Theres my Verizon experience Amy. Hope its some help.

Kiwi Bruce

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Thanks Bruce - I have a friend that may bring me a phone from the UK, I'm leaning towards Verizon as we have no Orange signal where we live so your post made my mind up :D Thanks!

Stay well,
Amy

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Kiwicanuck said:
Last November I bought my 5 year old Samsung CDMA phone to the D.R. with me. (from Canada) Not tri band. I took it in to the 3-Com store in Cabarete and he hooked it into the computer and got it working just like that with a new D.R. Verizon phone number. 400:p which included 300:p air time. A great deal I felt.

Orange couldn't do anything for me but that was because they didn't have a technician in the store I think. I know others who have hooked the same phone into Orange with the chip in behind the battery.

I don't know anything about locked or unlocked but thats how easy it was for me. Couldn't recommend the Cabarete 3-Com store more highly. That was last November anyway, lol.

Theres my Verizon experience Amy. Hope its some help.

Kiwi Bruce

Excuse my lack of tech terms, but what's a CDMA phone? Can any phone which normally takes a sim card be hooked up to Verizon in the DR?

I have a Sony Erricson 750i and I currently use an Orange DR sim but the reception with Orange isn't good.....am thinking that I might try and hook it up to Verizon, if possible??

Once connected to Verizon......is it still possible to put an Orange pay as you go sim in if you wanted?

Thanks in advance for any help
Daydream

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
daydream said:
Excuse my lack of tech terms, but what's a CDMA phone? Can any phone which normally takes a sim card be hooked up to Verizon in the DR?

I have a Sony Erricson 750i and I currently use an Orange DR sim but the reception with Orange isn't good.....am thinking that I might try and hook it up to Verizon, if possible??

Once connected to Verizon......is it still possible to put an Orange pay as you go sim in if you wanted?

Daydream

There is no way to get your phone hooked up to Verizon. If it's got a sim card then it won't work with Verizon as they don't use sim cards.

Stay well,
Amy

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
daydream said:
Excuse my lack of tech terms, but what's a CDMA phone?
Daydream

I think this is somewhat accurate.

There are two types of cell phones that operate on two different frequencies.

GSM is one and the other is CDMA. ( older phones anyway )

Kiwi Bruce

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Kiwicanuck said:
I think this is somewhat accurate.

There are two types of cell phones that operate on two different frequencies.

GSM is one and the other is CDMA. ( older phones anyway )

Kiwi Bruce

Yes, and Orange works with GSM, Verizon works with CDMA as I understand it.

But both GSM and CDMA have several different frequencies that they work on right? So which ones work in the DR?

Apparently if you have a tri-band (mulitple frequency) GSM phone you're set for the DR ..... What about the CDMA phones?

Is 'frequency' the correct term then for GSM and CDMA? lol - this is getting confusing.

Stay well,
Amy

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
it get confusing thats for sure

amy2761 said:
Yes, and Orange works with GSM, Verizon works with CDMA as I understand it.

But both GSM and CDMA have several different frequencies that they work on right? So which ones work in the DR?

Apparently if you have a tri-band (mulitple frequency) GSM phone you're set for the DR ..... What about the CDMA phones?

Is 'frequency' the correct term then for GSM and CDMA? lol - this is getting confusing.

Stay well,
Amy

After reading Nal's post on posters stating things as 'fact' one gets a bit gun shy.

If you read your and my posts on this subject in this thread I think we have done a pretty good job.

One can read the archivies like people suggest and end up more confused than ever. You clearly tried with your opening post to get a definitive answer to a complicated question.

I replied with something I knew to be fact because I actually wrote what worked for me last November.

In reply to the question about the difference between GSM and CDMA phones I started with 'I think this is somewhat accurate'. A pretty good qualifier I think.

I think I now probably fall into Nal's other catergory of people rambling on to long to make there point, lol.

Anyway, I think it's time to forget this thread as it appears that it's a subject that can only be answered definitively by somebody knowledgeable enough who is probably in the business.

I did state that my older Samsug CDMA phone is hooked up to Verizon and I believe it can also be used on Orange with the little chip they put in it.

Kiwi Bruce

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Kiwicanuck said:
I did state that my older Samsug CDMA phone is hooked up to Verizon and I believe it can also be used on Orange with the little chip they put in it.
I'm not sure that is correct. I'm might be wrong but I thought only phones with the GSM technology can use the Orange SIM cards.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Thats what I mean about being confusing

rellosk said:
I'm not sure that is correct. I'm might be wrong but I thought only phones with the GSM technology can use the Orange SIM cards.

I don't believe all Orange phones have to have sim cards. I had friends a year ago on Orange who had the chip put in under the battery. They were not sim card phones. They were the exact same Samsung ( dual band ) phone I had which is now on Verizon.

Kiwi Bruce

tgood1

Jan 1, 2005
GSM and CDMA use different frequencies, but in addition the main difference is they use a different protocol (I.E. Windows VS Apple OS) For whats its worth GSM is Global Standard for Mobile Communications while CDMA is Code Division Mutiple Access.

GSM works with Orange and generally has a sim card. CDMA works with Verizon. Verizon US, US Cellular and a few others use CDMA. Cingular (AT&T, T-Mobile, Unicel, etc) use GSM.

There is a third protocal called TDMA, which will not work in the DR.

The long and short of it, get a tri band GSM phone if you want to use Orange. Get a CDMA phone if you want to use Verizon. If you don't own one you can either buy one in the DR or get one on ebay for less than $100. Be careful because phones may look exactly alike but be a different mode. Make sure if you get a GSM it is "Tri band" (works on all 3 GSM frequencies).

There is a new CDMA thechnology coming out called "world mode" which will work on both CDMA and GSM and in theory should work anywhere in the world that has cell service. I haven't seen one yet, but it is promising.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Would the following phone work with Orange (would say yes but want to double check before buying)....Thanks Tom

Hop On 1806 SIM-Free GSM Cell Phone
Hop On board the GSM bandwagon with this terrific little SIM-Free cell phone. Hop On gave us an extraordinary deal on these tri-band (900/1800/1900 MHz) GSM phones and we?re passing on the savings. The Hop On 1806 sports a great looking colored screen, lightweight compact design and a wealth of terrific features including SMS messaging, predictive text input, 200 entry phone book, speed dialing, as well as buzzer and vibration call alert. Also includes extensive calling features and a rechargeable, lithium ion battery. Hop On?s Model 1806 SIM-Free GSM?an entry-level price for a full-featured cell phone.
Specifications
Cellular Technology GSM
Band / Mode GSM 900
GSM 1800
GSM 1900
Talk Time 4 hours
Style Candy Bar

tgood1 said:
GSM and CDMA use different frequencies, but in addition the main difference is they use a different protocol (I.E. Windows VS Apple OS) For whats its worth GSM is Global Standard for Mobile Communications while CDMA is Code Division Mutiple Access.

GSM works with Orange and generally has a sim card. CDMA works with Verizon. Verizon US, US Cellular and a few others use CDMA. Cingular (AT&T, T-Mobile, Unicel, etc) use GSM.

There is a third protocal called TDMA, which will not work in the DR.

The long and short of it, get a tri band GSM phone if you want to use Orange. Get a CDMA phone if you want to use Verizon. If you don't own one you can either buy one in the DR or get one on ebay for less than $100. Be careful because phones may look exactly alike but be a different mode. Make sure if you get a GSM it is "Tri band" (works on all 3 GSM frequencies).

There is a new CDMA thechnology coming out called "world mode" which will work on both CDMA and GSM and in theory should work anywhere in the world that has cell service. I haven't seen one yet, but it is promising.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I bring cellphones to the DR each time I travel there. I activate several of them (using one for my personal use during the duration of my trip) and give them away to friends and relatives or to others as "tips".

Here are some specific brands and models I've used there. They are all flip-phones.

Motorola T720
Motorola T730
Motorola E815
Samsung A460
Samsung A650
Samsung A670

All are CDMA phones; some are dual band while others are tri-band. All work well on the Verizon network. Some of them were purchased for less than $10.

Swede