health question...

Katy76

Sep 27, 2005
Hi everyone-

Ok, so we?ve been here in the DR for about 5 weeks now, and our baby has all these red blister marks all over him- the doctors told me that it was from the water that we used for his bath, but I changed that and he still has them. Anyone experienced this? Any cures that you know of?

Thanks!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Get another doctors opinion. Sometimes it takes three or four to get the right answers. First find a really good doctor.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sounds wrong.

Bath water won't give the baby a rash. Sounds like bugs or something.

Where are you? If you are near Santago, go see Robinson Abreu at the Clinica Corominas....

Get some Calamine lotion and put it on the baby. Check for small spiders around the crib, or tiny ants that might feed on the dribble after feeding.

.HB :D:D Been there, done that.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
To add to the Hillbilly's comments - how old is the baby? Direct sunlight can also cause these little blisters on skin that has never been exposed to strong sun. Go see a good Doctor.

Katy76

Sep 27, 2005
Thanks for the input- I only get to the internet once a week, so sorry for the slow response. The baby is 9 mos., to answer your question- he is getting better, but now my 3 year old and I have it too! My husband- native Dominican, although lived many years in the states- seems to be immune!

We got a second opinion (still the water)- and shelled out almost $2,000 for the anibiotics- hope they work- walking around with big sores on our skin isn?t gonna make us too many new friends around here!

Jan 5, 2006
I seriously doubt that it's the water. Other more likely possibilities are allergic reactions to a new bath soap, laundry detergent, plants, animals, foods or bug bites.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think HM is right. During the first year I was here, periodically I got a huge blister on my ankle. Looked like a bug bite or spot of poison ivy gone wild.

The dermatologist told me that it was common for people new to the country to get a strong reaction to something new to their system.

After that first year, I never had another problem with the blister on the ankle, even though my life didn't change. I think what happened was that my body built up a resistence to whatever it was that caused the problem.

This would also help explain why your husband isn't bothered but you and the children are. Even though he has lived for many years in the US, he probably has some acquired or inherited immunity.