Schools?

Malin

Jan 5, 2006
I'm trying to find information about englishspeaking schools (for children below the age of 15) on the north coast and also if someone has any experience of different schools!?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
In Puerto Plata for the age you asked about ( below 15 ):
ALIC SCHOOL.
All is teached in English before lunch break, and after in Spanish. (8 a.m. -3 p.m. )
Private school ( as they all are ), about 2200 pesos per month, plus school supplies, books, uniforms, lunch.
My son went there the first year we were here, now he goes in a Spanish speaking private school.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
No Malin, they don?t.
Are you out for just general information, or any specific?
Maybe I, or someone else here, can help?

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
The International School in Sousua teaches in english. They also use a U.S. based curriculum. When I finally move to the D.R. on a permanent basis, that is where I will be sending my kids

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I've said it once and I'll say it again.

What are you planning for your children's future?

For example: Can you afford US$40,000 a year to send them to university in the US? If not, think of sending them to university in the DR. If their higher education is to be in the DR, then their education should be in the best Spanish language institution you can afford.
Remember, kids are language sponges below the age of 15 or 16....they put all adults to shame in that respect.
If you speak to them in English, they will never lose it, and you can encourage reading in English and on the Internet with faraway friends. As bi-linguals, your children will be equipped to do graduate studies in a plethora of universities.

And where will the children live? Here? There? Life is good as a bi-lingual...in both places..

HB :D:D

Malin

Jan 5, 2006
We are thinking about maybe moving to DR, but I want to check out everything carefully before making any decisions. The north coast is where we want to live but we have not decided exactly where, so therefore I'm trying to find as much information about the different schools as possible. our children are 6 and 11. They both speak english (do not write it very well though) and their mothertounge is swedish. What are the entry requirements for the International school in Sosua? And waht about ALIC in Puerto Plata, do they need to know any spanish? Where are the children from at that school? Any expat kids? I was thinking that maybe living in Sosua will make it easier for the kids to adapt to their new environment? Does anyone on the forum have any ideas, inputs or personal experience about this matter?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
At Alic in Puerto Plata you?ll find a mixture of children, both expats and Dominican children.
They do not need to know Spanish.
The first year I was here, I asked to skip the French lessons for my son, as Spanish was enough. When class had French he had private lessons in Spanish instead.
Kids do pick up the language fast, in playing, in meetings with people.

As for picking a place to live, come here first on a longer term, feel the places.
Ask yourself issues such as where do you and your family want to live, what is important to you.
Are you talking about adapting to a more expat society ( Sosua ) or the local society ( Puerto Plata, Santiago etc ).

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
For the 6 year old, the Garden Kids school in Sosua can't be beat. Check out there wesite which gives a very accurate picture. I have a 6 year old there, and he is getting a more advanced education that his counterparts in the US. He has 2 teachers - one of whom is American and speaks no spanish. He is dominican with no backgroung in English (I live in New York), and he is picking up english very quickly. There are students from all over the world. It is a wonderful school - an inexpensicve.

The international school is probably the place for the 11 year old. It's expensive, but excellent. There is another highly recommended school in Sosua - The Learning Center. It goes to the 12th grade as well. The founder of the Garden Kids school sends her children there, so it must be excellent. The International School is the biggest and most expensive.

If you are living in Sosua, Puerto Plata is too far to send your kids, in my opinion. And there is really no need. - D

smitty

Jan 11, 2006
carina said:
In Puerto Plata for the age you asked about ( below 15 ):
ALIC SCHOOL.
All is teached in English before lunch break, and after in Spanish. (8 a.m. -3 p.m. )
Private school ( as they all are ), about 2200 pesos per month, plus school supplies, books, uniforms, lunch.
My son went there the first year we were here, now he goes in a Spanish speaking private school.
I am glad you informed members are sharing your experiences. I am new to DR1. Your comments are very helpful.
Does anyone know of other spanish/english (junior high and high) schools on the north coast in the same price range? Any less expensive? How about the expat / local ratios in some of these other schools which have no web pages?
We would like to find a junior high school and a high school in the north. Can anyone give some specifics.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
If you want English speaking schools in Puerto Plata there is ALIC, and also COLLEGIO COSTAMBAR, a small school by just outside town ( not in Costambar though ).
In Sosua there is International School Of Sosua.
So it depends on where you will live, as it is two different areas.

The English schools are never cheaper though than the above.
The private Dominican Schools are about the same, some cost a little less.
In Puerto Plata there are 1/2 day private schools ( in spanish ) that are private for around 800 pesos as well.

Books, food, uniforms, supplies is always extra, as the inscription fee.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
School Ratings

Here is a link to a private schools rating, as conducted by the Secretariat of Education.

Luis Hess(Christobal Colon) is listed as the best school in Sosua(1-B-Excelente)

It's followed by ISS (2-A- Muy Bueno)

and Garden School (2-B-Muy Bueno)

Last edited: