The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.... of DR1

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Good: Sharing information with people.

Bad: Reading misinformation people post as facts!

And you? What do you like/hate the most of DR1?

-NAL

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Nal0whs said:

-NAL

Good: People who are concise and make their points quickly.

Bad: People who babble endlessly to make their point.

Scandall

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Good: 1. The never ending learning experience of what is Dominican.
2. I love it when we get on a silly roll, it makes up for the bad.

Bad: when people fight. It wears me out.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Not sure about this one

Nal0whs said:

-NAL

Lets look at the bad, 'reading misinformation people post as fact'.

If people state that its in there opinion ( IMHO or IMO ) isn't that a fair qualifier that they are just stating it how they see it.

Do you ( Nal ) feel that if they don't qualify it then you feel they are stating it as a 'fact'.

Don't we as the reader of a 'post' have the responsibility to interpret it how we feel fit. Doesn't this whole question fall into the hazards of reading a 'message board' and really is unavoidable.

I am curious tho how you (Nal ) feel about a post whether it has a IMO qualifier in it or not. Does that determine how much respect you are going to feel towards the poster ?

That's my feed back.

Kiwi Bruce

Sep 19, 2005
is it a secret who the ugly is??????????????????

ha ha ha.....
the good: super concentrated information dump.....its all in there!!!

the bad: the people who post and JUST to bad mouth and have no intention of addressing the issue or answering the question at hand.

the ugly:...... the girl you picked up the night before in Sosua thats was JUST good enough for 4:30 am when the taxi was leaving for the hotel....

bob

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Just like the real world DR1 has good points and bad points

Good:

1) Having great discussions with level headed people about a common interest which always leads to a great exchange of information.

2) Meeting wonderful and sincere people.

Bad:

1) People who post in a thread but have actually nothing to contribute except a nasty remark, insult, or an attempt to degrade someone etc. Usually those types of posts have no factual or value added information.

2) Senseless nationality bashing. I read those posts and consider the misconception as an eye opener about the world in general.

LDG.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Kiwicanuck said:
Lets look at the bad, 'reading misinformation people post as fact'.

If people state that its in there opinion ( IMHO or IMO ) isn't that a fair qualifier that they are just stating it how they see it.

Do you ( Nal ) feel that if they don't qualify it then you feel they are stating it as a 'fact'.

Don't we as the reader of a 'post' have the responsibility to interpret it how we feel fit. Doesn't this whole question fall into the hazards of reading a 'message board' and really is unavoidable.

I am curious tho how you (Nal ) feel about a post whether it has a IMO qualifier in it or not. Does that determine how much respect you are going to feel towards the poster ?

That's my feed back.

Kiwi Bruce
Kiwi, this thread is not meant to be a debate. This thread I made for people to share their opinions on what they like best and worst of this site.

However, I will answer you question this one time. I will not follow up, but if you want a follow up, simply PM me.

When people state misinformation (ie. claim something that is incorrect, they are corrected by other members and the person continues to claim the incorrect assumption), it does lowers the quality of the site because from that point forward a thread goes from being a learning experience to a test of who can be more persuasive.

-NAL

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Scandall said:
Good: People who are concise and make their points quickly.

Bad: People who babble endlessly to make their point.

Scandall
What would you say the OP's original post is?

Concise or babble? :surprised

-NAL:classic:

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
The Bad:
I do agree with the fact that people do post misinformation on DR1
some examples are; someone who said that you need 75,000 pesos a month to be able to make ends meet in DR that is exageration
another person says that DR is a very unsafe place in fact you are twice as likely to get shot in puerto rico the USA,and jamaica than in DR.This information comes from actual statistics I researched on the net.

The bad is also:
People who have nothing positive to say about DR. If you have nothing positive to say about DR why would you visit or relocate there anyway?

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Thanks Nal

Nal0whs said:
Kiwi, this thread is not meant to be a debate. This thread I made for people to share their opinions on what they like best and worst of this site.

However, I will answer you question this one time. I will not follow up, but if you want a follow up, simply PM me.

When people state misinformation (ie. claim something that is incorrect, they are corrected by other members and the person continues to claim the incorrect assumption), it does lowers the quality of the site because from that point forward a thread goes from being a learning experience to a test of who can be more persuasive.

-NAL

Thanks for your answer, a good answer IMO.

Sometimes I think my argumentive Irish ancestry just gets the best of me.

Lets see if I have learnt anything.

I especially enjoy the most simple threads that come out of nowhere and quickly end up being very funny.

The bad is not having a spell-check built into the board.

The worst is the insulting posts that have nothing to do with the object of the thread.

Kiwi Bruce

illwill76

Oct 11, 2005
THE GOOD:The information and most of the members on DR1
THE BAD:The hate that some of you members have for other nationalities

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We do have one now. It's on the right side when you're in the reply window. I had to download it the first time but it's there forever now.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Me, me, me!

Nal0whs said:

-NAL

The good:

Nals(this man is a fricking walking encyclopedia), suarezn, AZB(my brother from another mother), chuckuindy(my grandpa), carina, MommC, Cleff and maybe 1 or 2 more members. I love reading these people's posts, whether I agree with them or not!.

The bad:

Those members who think that no Dominican can do/be any good. And those that live in the DR and still do not care to associate themselves with Dominicans because to them, they ALL are just waiting to take advantage of them. And those that think that ALL Dominicans are bad, even thought their spouses are Dominicans, whom they met while in the DR. Go figure.

The ugly:

Well, let's say that they don't post anymore!.

May I add a different category?.

The most amusing and interesting forum:

Hands down, the sankie forum, er, the Men/Women forum.
Not only that it keeps me amused, but it's refreshing to know that there are others that are sicker than I, LOL.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
The best part of DR1:
  • Meeting people in person and making friendships.
  • Solving problems using knowledge gained on the site
  • Reading about how people live in the country--real world advice and experience
  • The search function

The worst:
  • One-hit wonders who post frantically about nothing
  • All those who have been sankified and want to tell the world about it--repeatedly
  • Argumentative types or know-it-alls who can't admit when they are wrong
  • People who don't use the search function

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Anna Coniglio said:
We do have one now. It's on the right side when you're in the reply window. I had to download it the first time but it's there forever now.

Well here I am in the reply window and looking for the spell checker, where are you, lol. Can't seem to find the little devil.

Kiwi Bruce :hurt:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
jrxp93.jpg

:classic: :classic: :classic: