President's Choice products are in town

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Today I went into Supermercado Nacional here in Santo Domingo and spent more than an hour walking the aisles with a big grin on my face; a bit like when we expat go back home in our supermarkets and rediscover our food products. President?s Choice products are from Canada, carried by Loblaws and for those of you who don?t know them here is a link: http://www.presidentschoice.ca/

Today I saw lots of good stuff; from Taco products, frozen products, BBQ Sauces, Decadent chocolate chip cookies, Salad dressings, No name product and more. I got so excited that after my rounds I went to talk with the manager to ask if they would bring more variety of the President?s Choice products. I want to get my hands on my favorite marinade, ?Memories of Szechwan, Spicy Peanut Satay Sauce? (perfect for Juanita's BBQ). The man was kind enough to ask which products I would like to see and took note and said he would order them, maybe he just felt bad to take the grin off my face but he seemed serious! Now if they could only import Kraft Peanut Butter and Maple Sirup I would be in food heaven! :classic:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
That is unbelievable! (they have the BEST cookies!) Now if only we could get Dominican products shipped here...:angry:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There were big glossy ads placed in the newspapers. I had no idea that these were well-known products. Hummm.....

Let us hope that they catch on and continue to carry them. I shall ask the local manager here in Santiago about that Szechuan stuff.....

HB :D:D:D

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Excellent! and Very Canadian!

I also enjoy President's Choice products and I am curious to know how marketing it in the DR came about. At any rate if anyone in the DR asks me about it I will give good feedback. Their products sell very well in Montreal and Toronto. They have a big part of the market share in TO.

LDG.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I don't know how it happened that more PC products made it down here, but I'm glad they did. I lived in Canada for almost two years and PC has some great stuff. They even brought in Bison burgers, I am not sure how many Dominicans know what they would be buying but I am happy to stockpile my freezer....yummy.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Phyllo Pastry dough: $97 pesos (3.40 cnd)
Frozen no-name spinach: $32 pesos (1.14 cnd)
Honey Garlic BBQ Sauce: $92 pesos (3.2 cnd)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As promised, I talked with the Santiago store manager today and she promised to forward my brilliant thoughts on to Santo Domingo HQ.
I am sure if any of you visit the Santiago Supermercado Nacional and talk to Karla Barrientos-she is totally bi-lingual-and tell her what you want, she will do what she can to get the products for you.

Apparently Nacional is trying to convert the PC line into one of their "house brands" and the prices must be good. I bought some Rediwhip? and the PC variety and there was about a RD$30 peso difference. I will report later if there is a major taste difference.

Now I have to llook in the frozen food section.

HB :D:D

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Presidents Choice user all the way!!!

Hey Hillbilly and all the rest......really happy to hear that people in the D.R. are able to access PC products. I have been using them for years!! They are excellent!!! Avail in Canada at Zehrs, Loblaws, No Frills, Independant stores , etc. You really cannot beat the quality and the price. I was really surprised to hear that they are being sold in D.R.

You just never know - eh??

One more sleep and I will be there. Going to the North coast - anyone heard of PC products avail anywhere near Cabarete???

Happy Trails
Meg:classic:

Big Steve

Oct 31, 2002
President's Choice products are sold at Jewel Foodstores all over Chicagoland as well. They are of excellent quality and price, IMHO! While we are on the subject of foodstuffs... is there anywhere in Santiago to buy 'fresh' milk? When I lived in Port-au-Prince the only thing we could get our hands on was the UHT boxed stuff. Thanks in advance for your help.:classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
UHT has pretty well taken over the market.

You can get fresh milk at Nacional's dairy department. At Central, and at Pola.

I have not looked at other places. Electricity prices and frequent blackouts may be the reason for the UHT MIlk Boom..

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Don't Think You Can Get "FRESH" Milk In The DR!

At least what we call "Fresh" milk in the USA.Meaning,it comes from the farm to the dairy where it is homoginized & pasturized,and sent to a grocery store for sale! What "passes" for that here,I believe,and I will go read the label,is powdered milk,re-constituted and sent to the grocery store for sale.Like I said,I will go check.I just got back to the DR after a month in the USA.I drank 1% and 2 % milk while there.It sure made the 2% UHT milk here taste like water in comparison!!
The prices in the mega-super-markets in the USA put the DR to shame!! Not to mention,"Best-Buy","Home Depot" and the like! I may have to give up young Dominicanas for the well being of my family!!:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
cccc

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
The fresh milk (refridgerated) that is sold in the D.R. by Rica is real milk. Powdered milk and real milk have a completely different taste.

All supermarkets I have been to in S.D. have them in the dairy section... the "La Vacita" is 2% and the regular Rica is 3%. The only problem is that due to the lack of common sense in most of the supermarket stockboys, they spend a good amount of time out of the fridge so its hit and miss whether its still "fresh" or not... Expiration date means nothing.

Maybe Rica has a plant in Santiago, they usually have a little store out front that sells their products (at least the one in S.D. does). It's the only place ive been able to consistently get fresh milk...