inside info needed- Samana, mountains, mosquitos, etc.

Sunshine and Raine

Nov 21, 2005
Greetings all from West Virginia, US, where it is cold and snowing!! I am coming to the DR this February and would love some help finding a good place to stay. Will stay at Hillbilly's in Santiago. Any suggestions for Samana penninsula- prefer a place with a kitchen to save $ on food. Also very concerned about the price. Found a site for Juan y Lola but they said they have nothing available at the beginning of February. Prefer Las Galeras, but beggers can't be choosers. How about suggestions for the mountains? We thought we might see Carnival in La Vega on a Sunday- anyone been there for that? Again, looking for affordable (or very cheap) place(s) to stay. Does anyone know how much the trip from Santiago to Samana will be, approximately? One more question, mosquitos. Are they worse in the mountains? It seems they won't be as bad on Samana Penninsula due to the wind from the ocean. Is this true? Should I make sure, for my young son, that there are bug nets on the beds where I stay? Thanks so much for your help!!! Can't wait to be there!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
DEar Sunshine and Raine:
Get in touch with aliveandwellinthedr@hotmail.com. Her name is Ellen and she is quite knowledgeable about things Saman?. I can tell you that it is a beautiful, beautiful place, one of the HB's favorites.
Ellen can point you in the right direction, for sure regarding where to stay. In town they rent apartments with full kitchens (full Dominican kitchens) and we have stayed there many, many times.
Regarding transport to the peninsula, there are four or five buses leaving from Santiago every day from early morning to early afternoon. About $5.00 each way. Quick, clean and safe. Friendly, too.
Re: Mosquitos. It behooves y'all to come prepared with bug stuff. With lots of DEET. There are local products that work but they eat the plastic of your camara or eyeglasses if not careful..:p:p And don't forget the sun screen--that is a must....

Lemme know what you decide....

HB :D:D

Added: The carnival in La Vega is doable as well. It just involves a bit of travelling.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Samana

Hello!

I have been there a number of times.

For accomodations, the quietest place is Tropical Lodge - away from the busy streets and discos. BUT that may cosy $30 and up. There are cheaper places, but they will probably be noisy.

There is a place near LA CHURCHA on the hill that may have a kitchen, on a corner, and not TOO noisy.

There is another place with kitchen apartments BUT it was right next to the disco. I find it worth it to pay more for peace and quiet at Tropical Lodge.

As for mosquitos, I never felt any in Jan, Feb or March - maybe due to breezes. But bring DEET anyway. I seem to remember some friends complaining about them, but I never got bit.

Once in Samana, you must visit Las Galeras (don't pronounce either "S".) I suggest staying there and taking a guagua to Samana.

PM if you need more info............

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
samanasuenos said:
There is a place near LA CHURCHA on the hill that may have a kitchen, on a corner, and not TOO noisy.
The place across from La Churcha is Hotel Docia 809.538.2041(Spanish only) they have a common kitchen and 15 rooms.

Complete information on Samana Peninsula Accommodations on www.samana.net
But, you know that allready.

WebDev

hedlykarok

Mar 3, 2005
www.latinamericanlady.com
from a fellow mountaineer...

best link for your info:
http://www.samana.net/sn-english.html

you will indeed love the entire peninsula. i have been there many, many times and it is, so far, my favorite part of the island.
the first impression i got from traveling around (especially the samana-las terrenas road) was how amazingly similar it is to where i spent many childhood summers - the west side of charleston and sharon/cabin creek, where my grandparents lived. except for the fact that many houses are painted with bright and beautiful colors, the resemblance is striking to many hollers i've seen.
when you return, send me a message and let me know if you agree.

if you're interested in a retirement place, this area would be like home, but much better weather!!!
here's a link for a gringo from maryland i met on my second trip 3 years ago.
http://www.dr-samana.com/index.html
his name is wayne campbell, tell him craig sent you!

on the bug side, i have never been bitten by a mosquito in samana itself. for some odd reason, there just aren't any. las terrenas or sanchez or las galeras, there are.
there aren't any hotels "up" in the mountains (except for caba?as), you'd be looking more at staying nearer the coastline.

santiago to samana shouldn't be much on the bus, but hillbilly would know more than i on that one.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hedlykarok is a freak from Cabin Creek!!!

D@mn, this place is fillin'up with Mountaineers.:p:p

West side of Charleston? I'm gonna have to look that up on a map. I lived in Kanawah City and South Hills...

The hills are beautiful in both places, but if you want real "holler-like" country, you gotta go out to Santiago Rodriguez and Restauraci?n...smells of pine in the air. Jarabacoa is good, too.

With the tragic news on the news this weeks, I remember the coal mining towns on the way to coal river, and all the "yeller houses" that lined the road...God bless those men and their families...God Bless John L. Lewis...

hedlykarok

Mar 3, 2005
www.latinamericanlady.com
[b]gtfo!!!![/b]

Hillbilly said:
Hedlykarok is a freak from Cabin Creek!!!

D@mn, this place is fillin'up with Mountaineers.:p:p

West side of Charleston? I'm gonna have to look that up on a map. I lived in Kanawah City and South Hills...

:cheeky:eyes kin-da wandrin' why yawls calls y'self "hillbilly"?!?:cheeky:

looks like we'll have a bit to talk about when i stay in your apartment in 2 weeks!!
my mom's parents lived on beech ave and garvin and my dad grew up at kay's ford and sharon (west bank high school grad).
her dad was an excellent photographer, owned deluxe studios on lee street.
his dad worked in the mines most of his life, even had stories of the bunker wars (see Matewan y'all).
i also feel for the lost ones.

i have relatives in south hills/montrose area and winfield/teays valley now.

Midge

May 20, 2017
I am considering moving to Las Galeras with my 4 cats in August. My questions to are:
I live on $1,798 from Social Security can I find permanent, acceptable housing, a house, for $600 to $700 a month including utilities? If not what can I realistically afford to pay.
Why is the following necessary?
“I understand mosquitos can be a problem there is that all year around or just June-August. Is there not some lotion a person can apply to deter them from biting? Would my cats need something in order to protect them from bits?
Midge

Midge

May 20, 2017
Messed up the last correspondence. Try this one.

I am considering moving to Las Galeras with my 4 cats in August. My questions to are:
I live on $1,798 from Social Security can I find permanent, acceptable housing, a house, for $600 to $700 a month including utilities? If not what can I realistically afford to pay.
“I understand mosquitos can be a problem there is that all year around or just June-August. Is there not some lotion a person can apply to deter them from biting? Would my cats need something in order to protect them from bits?
Midge