No flames here

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
On my last trip to the DR, I ran accross an acquaintnece I had met on another trip. We had a discussion regarding DR1. He had mentioned that he reads DR1, but is afraid to post some of the questions he has for fear of being flamed.

I would like to start a thread where anyone that has not posted on DR1 can post any question or comment without fear of being flamed. (Please no sock puppets).

If anyone feels they have to flame, they can direct those comments towards me.

Last edited:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hi there :)

There is no such thing as a stupid question. We are all here to learn and help each other. I posted many questions here and many nice people have given me great feedback.

So please feel free and post your friend's questions. Everyone will do his/her best and answer them. :classic:

Good night.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Good idea, rellosk.
Maybe you could start this thread over, under another title, like "For First Time Posters", or something like that, that would attract the viewers, who just lurk, but never post, as they may not even know what a flamer is.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
rellosk,

Just a suggestion, but how about starting this thread in a gentler and kinder forum since "General Stuff" has the tag line of:

"For all those questions without a home.
Not for the faint hearted or easily offended!"

Kind of invites the harsher element, IMHO.

Gregg

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
rellosk said:
On my last trip to the DR, I ran accross an acquaintnece I had met on another trip. We had a discussion regarding DR1. He had mentioned that he reads DR1, but is afraid to post some of the questions he has for fear of being flamed.

I would like to start a thread where anyone that has not posted on DR1 can post any question or comment without fear of being flamed. (Please no sock puppets).

If anyone feels they have to flame, they can direct those comments towards me.

Those type of people will not usually post anyway.

I have lost count over the last 10 years how many people I have offered to hand hold and watch their backs, after they said to me that they have a fear of posting on DR1 due to be potentially flamed.

Even if you smoother them in cotton wool, they will still not post.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
FireGuy said:
rellosk,

Just a suggestion, but how about starting this thread in a gentler and kinder forum since "General Stuff" has the tag line of:

"For all those questions without a home.
Not for the faint hearted or easily offended!"

Kind of invites the harsher element, IMHO.

Gregg

I agree, that's why we have another 17 forums :)

I don't see much flamming going on in the Travel, Living, Legal, Business, Airline, Government, Weather, Employment etc etc etc forums.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A flame is like this:

That's because you are just too stupid in the English language to realize all the flaming that is going on on those threads behind your dumb Brit butt!

WOW! Now that's a flame... Whew! That felt weird!!

Anyway, if they won't post with Robert holding their hand, they won't post just because we say, "Go ahead,post, we won't smack you upside the head."

In the past, it seems that flamers are people that get upset when they are contradicted, or their knowledge is questioned. They tend to get "uppity"...

Oh well, no offense Robert, just wanted to know what a "flame felt like"...:p:p

And "Rellosk", that is a nice thought. Maybe it would work for a while...you and I know that eventurally someone would pipe up and ruin it..

HB, pretty flame proof.....

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
strikes me as odd

How someone could be so put off about getting flamed, yet still be interested in the DR.

A thin skin will burn you on the plane ride, nevermind once upon the terra.

How CC gets along is beyond me. :lick:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Robert said:
I don't see much flamming going on in the Travel, Living, Legal, Business, Airline, Government, Weather, Employment etc etc etc forums.
You must be joking. No flaming in the Airline, Legal, Business, and Employment forums. Do you need few links?

I'll concede there hasn't been any flaming in the Weather forum.

BTW: Note, the correct spelling for flaming :) I'm not accusing any DR1'ers of flamming, although some of the flamers sometimes acuse newbies to be flammers:):):)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
rellosk said:
I'll concede there hasn't been any flaming in the Weather forum.

Ah now...you have short memories - last summer was flamin' hot here in the DR :laugh: :laugh:

I don't really know what you're talking about Rellosk, the last few months has been a relatively flame-free period - and much love was dispensed here over Chrismas and New Year.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh: love!!!! :p:p:p Ain't it grand?

Come on all y'all, post and don't worry none about flaming!

HB :D:D:D:D

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Will Agree With Robert!

Several weekends ago,I proclaimed a "Be Nice" weekend for the General Forum!Anyone insulting posters would be given a 1 week "Time-Out"! Made no difference to anyone who might have been "afraid" to post!
I used to be involved in "Citizens Band Radio"in the USA,and also "Amature Radio Listening"! In "radio" ,it's called "Mic Fright"! You put a normal person in front of a "Mic",and they freeze up! There are millions of people out there who just want to "listen" to amature radio,and never "Talk"! Same for the internet.Millions just happy as "clams" to "surf" the Net reading others posts! Glad to have you aboard!!!
I would not characterize what goes on,on DR1 as "Flaming", when compared to the "Net" as a whole.I might call it "Toasting" at most!!! Sarcasm at least!
"Food" without some "salt" tastes very bland.You would soon grow tired of "Spiceless" fare on DR1,or anywhere else!
"Dr Debates Forum",was started when people complained that the "General Forum" was a harsh environment in which to debate.Kind of a "General "LITE" Forum!
DR1 as a whole is much more "User Friendly" than it was at it's inceptcion,but then they hardly ever have "Shoot Outs" in Dodge City Kansas any more either!! Both have evolved,become more civilized!
That does not mean,at least in the "General Stuff Forum",that a question like: "I am moving to the DR in Feb.Never having been there before. Where is the best place to live,how much does it costs,what should I bring with me,and can I get a good job there,and at what salary?" Will not meet with at least Suuuuuuuuuuuum "HEAT"!;)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Criss Colon said:
Several weekends ago,I proclaimed a "Be Nice" weekend for the General Forum!Anyone insulting posters would be given a 1 week "Time-Out"! Made no difference to anyone who might have been "afraid" to post!
Somehow, I missed you proclamation.
Criss Colon said:
There are millions of people out there who just want to "listen" to amature radio,and never "Talk"! Same for the internet.Millions just happy as "clams" to "surf" the Net reading others posts!
Keep in mind I started this thread because I met someone that wanted to post but was afraid to do so because of potential criticism.

I was just trying to set up a thread (not a forum) where newbies would feel comfortable.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ed, did you ask this person what the question was? Maybe you could ask for him/her.

I'm dying to know what this big question is. ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Ed, did you ask this person what the question was? Maybe you could ask for him/her.

I'm dying to know what this big question is. ;)
I've posted the question in another forum. Not a very interesting question for most DR1'ers; but it's a question that he had, but was afraid to ask.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Go Flames Go

Watching the Hockey game at this moment.

Vancouver Canucks hosting Calgary Flames ( Hockey Night in Canada )

Seconds left now in third period. Its over. Calgary 3 Vancouver 2.

Flames are leading the division and are now 8 points ahead of Vancouver.

Go Flames Go.

Important to stay on topic in a thread, lol.

kiwi Bruce

Ooops, typed the above with a minute left. Vancouver now has a 5 on 3 after two penalities. Jesus, now its 3 - 3

F**K Vancouver wins 4 to 3 in overtime

Last edited: