What Are The Current "In" Places in Santo Domingo

Jan 5, 2006
Hello all.

I'm going to DR in mid February and want to spend at least a couple of days in Santo Domingo. My last few trips have all been into Santiago or the north coast, so I've lost touch with nightlife in SD.

What are the current hot places to spend a fun night at? I'm looking for the more upscale places to have a few drinks and dance a bit; maybe catch a live band. I'm not looking for a meat market, pick up chicks type place, or some seedy, chopo type crowds, as I'll be well accompanied. Please include location, website ot tel # if possible. Thanks.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Hipocrito Mejia said:
Thanks guys! Has anyone been to or heard anything about a place called "Platinum" or something like that?

Yes, went there in november, it was supposed to be a happening place, but we were there too early, at 11 it was still empty so we went elsewhere. I think it's close to Lincoln avenue, but I didn't drive so I'm not sure. Uhm, sorry, not a very helpful reply.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Take a look at http://bonche.com you will get a feel of whats in and whats not.

Give me an idea of your age and maybe I can help you more.

By the way, Jetset is a chopo place... of sorts...

Jan 5, 2006
Thanks for the link Robert.

From what I saw there, I think that I'm looking for a place like " Seven to Seven". A little more upscale, subdued crowd, ages 25 and up, that plays a good mix of music; not just merengue & bachata. Any ideas for places like that?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Seven To Seven has been closed for a long time now and wasn't very subdued the night I went. If you want more subdued and less crazy Monte Christo is more of a bar type place. Cafe Teatro in the Colonial Zone is pretty mellow and has live music on many nights. Platinum I believe is mostly a college student hang out. If I am noty mistaken it is in a shopping center on Independencia near the corner of Alma Mater.

Also on the other side of the bridge, I always liked Eclipse. It is hard to keep up with the colonial zone scene but once in a while I stumble upon a cool place there. . . . .unfortunately I am usually too drunk by that point to remember where it was and what it was called!

europeanguy

Nov 23, 2004
Besides www.bonche.com also www.uepa.com needs to be mentioned

One club I like for lounging is Tamboo Bamboo. It is an excellent place to stay with your girlfriend in the evening before going out to discos.

Worth mentioning also is Praia. But pretty difficult to get in. So far I haven't succeeded......

Close by these places is Retro cafe. A small, nice bar. In the same area you'll find Lancelot and MonteChristi.

For the exact adresses see the websites; they are close to Av. Lincoln.

I'm more or less familiar with Zona Colonial: also here some very nice places, like Liquid.

Jan 5, 2006
Why is it so difficult to get into Praia?

Also, do you have any more specific thoughts on Lancelot? What type music & crowd? Thanks!