Verizon Flash 3G wireless is a rheumatic snail

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
Although I had spoken some good things about Flash 3G, now the service has changed for the worse.

Since the last half of December (at least from Maimon, Puerto Plata), the conexion velocity is far less than the worst dialup I have ever had.
As example, the speed that I'm getting now, connection to DR1 is between 150 and 300 bauds/second (not KBauds, but Bauds). If some of you don't know about bauds, let's say than 300 bauds is like walking 10 meters per hour.

I would try a satellital conection if it had more reasonable costs for the installation, but for now I'm stuck with Verizon.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
JDJones said:
In Maimon, Puerto Plata? Are you in the same Maimon that I am?
There is no telephone service in Maimon!
Where are you located that you consider is part of Maimon? In the hotels maybe?

Flash 3G is wireless, it means you connect to Internet using you cell phone.
From my finca in Maimon I can see a big Verizon antenna tower, not far away, and the signal is pretty good, but not for Internet access lately.

I live near the las "Pescader?a", Laura.

Ben,

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
JDJones said:
hmm, interesting. I've been told by the Verizon people in the past that I couldn't do that from the farm. I also tried to hook up via a fixed mobile phone that was installed by them, without success.
I guess you're living proof that it can be done. Perhaps I'm too far away from the tower, but you're not that much closer than I am.
But with your cel? That's gotta be expensive!
JD

If you pay per minute it may get very expensive, because the connection is completely sluggish, but you can pay a flat fee and use as many minutes as you want without extra cost. In that way only our patience suffers...
The flat fee cost is about 1750, on top of the cellphone plan cost.
May be I have good signal because I live on a hill, but it doesn't my Internet connection better. But it was good when I started using it some months ago.

Ben

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If you just want to do e-mail and a little browsing now and again, this is a fine solution - but it takes a lot of patience. We tried the Verizon and the Orange and just spent money and got very frustrated. I am still really happy with our main connectivity which is satellite - prices have come down a little, so consider this again. We can help you or Dunhill can help you.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
How about Centennial?

Ok..............its not Jumping Jack Flash, However its beats the heck out of Dial up and its portable, I take and use it all over with very little trouble other then you would find with your cell phone......... Centennial 3G works for me ok! And I pay RD$ 1800.00 per mo. UNLIMITED SERVICE

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
Gringo said:
Ok..............its not Jumping Jack Flash, However its beats the heck out of Dial up and its portable, I take and use it all over with very little trouble other then you would find with your cell phone......... Centennial 3G works for me ok! And I pay RD$ 1800.00 per mo. UNLIMITED SERVICE

That seems very good, thank you for sharing your experience.

Do you have used in in the North Coast? I wonder if it works in Maimon, near Puerto Plata.
I looked at Centennial website and they say that it works in Puerto Plata.

If I can make sure it works in Maimon I would sign in without delay.

I would love to hear about any other experience with Centennial 3G.

Is the service really unlimited? They allow you to download large files?
I'm thinking in files like a one hour video newcast or big programs, like Linux distributions.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Evdo

I wonder if the CDMA carriers in the DR have any plans to roll out EVDO. (really high speed internet access).

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Flash was so intermittantly F'ed up today in Sosua, I just used my telephone to get stock quotes.