Gran Ventana, Playa Dorada

Abujamin

Dec 1, 2005
OK, here goes. A few pointers for future travellers to this hotel or DR in general. I'm sure many will disagree or say what I'm saying is obvious, well it wasn't obvious to me before..

1. Don't travel to an AI on your own. If you want single travel go to Sosua or select hotels (!)

2. Contrary to the advice I had, the GV is a family hotel and nothing else. If you're happy with loads of kids then great (It was not a problem but I had been told it was more adults/couples/singles)

3. Playa Dorada (which is a private complex within which there are a number of hotels) is not (in my humble opinion) a major excursion/venturing out environment.

4. I know the DR residents will get upset about this but my (limited) experience of DR was that it was a tourist rip-off. I appreciate the poverty and the need to survive but the rip off prices charged within the Playa Dorada area do not benefit the poor. The rip-off tours of Puerta Plata were appalling.

5. The DR cigars as with many other products being sold in this resort were MORE expensive than in the USA! Sure, get off your butt and look into the country (after paying $20/$30 for a short taxi ride, or $80 a day for the smallest car). Cigarettes in the hotel were being sold for $6 packet (except for Marlboro)

6. I thought the people at the GV were great. They were all very pleasant and made me smile for the two weeks I was there.

7. The food and inclusive booze makes the holiday. Pace yourself! I had no worries with water or Puerto Plata Splattas!

8. The entertainment was fun. Nights to definitely stay in are when the dancers and the bands visit. Take more english books than you think you need (I ran out and couldn't find any there)

9. Be VERY selective about which room you get allocated. The block (3 I think) where the quiet pool is, is NOT a quiet area. They fail to tell you of the very lood discotheque outside the compound area which stays loud well past 2am. Many of the rooms in this block are also damp and dark. I was told at least 12 people asked to be moved the day after we all arrived. I was moved to block 1 and had a GREAT room. You won't know what you are missing if you just accept the 'quiet' block. You have been warned.

10. DR is a great place if you want a family holiday in the sun and no great needs for significant culture or for venturing out of the AI hotel environment.

11. Too many CHAVS, too many tatoos and pierced everything. I was amazed that they weren'ty piping in Corry. If you want to get away from that lot, don't go to POP resorts. The 20 stone topless sunbather from london did it for me. The Canadians could not believe anyone could walk around the pool all day like that. (Great for emancipation but not for the other 200 people round the pool).

You get what you pay for!

Good luck. I will definitely return. The DR girls were beautiful and not all of them after my wallet!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Well, Playa Dorada is a tourist complex, consisting of 15 hotels, a golf course and a plaza with shops, restaurants and a cinema.
Prices are tourist prices for sure there.

Now, especially in the peak season, the charters from all over the world fill up the hotels there, so of course it is alots of families.

The best you can do, as always, is to check your destination, as much as possible. As for you, maybe Sosua or Cabarete or a vacation in Puerto Plata would have been a better choice.

There will be more times, just return and explore all that the island has to offer!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Iwould suggest that before the OP ever vacations again he cosult a good travel agent. If he had, he would have known that the Grand Ventana was not the appropriate choice for a single traveler.

Suzie

Jan 12, 2006
why not alone?

Hi,
I just read your review and I'm wondering why you say that this resort is not good for the single traveller- is it going to make me feel more isolated than I'd feel at other resorts? I made a choice based on solid reviews, but now I'm all worried now because I will be going alone to this resort in a few weeks.

And what does Sosua offer that Gran Ventana doesn't? Not that I can change my intinerary, but what other "select" hotels are preferable for the single traveller?
Thanks.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Suzie said:
Hi,
I just read your review and I'm wondering why you say that this resort is not good for the single traveller- is it going to make me feel more isolated than I'd feel at other resorts? I made a choice based on solid reviews, but now I'm all worried now because I will be going alone to this resort in a few weeks.

And what does Sosua offer that Gran Ventana doesn't? Not that I can change my intinerary, but what other "select" hotels are preferable for the single traveller?
Thanks.

As a female single at this resort, you will be in the minority. Your choices will be to interact with the other vacationers who are either couples, the few other singles, or the staff. Sorry to say, many fall prey to the third choice.
Your other choice is to go off premises. If that's the case, you had might as well stayed in a more appropriate place.

Sep 19, 2005
once you get out to the beach , it goes each past a whole bunch of other hotels. You can walk the beach and hang out in front of any of the other hotels if you want to meet different people than stayed at your hotel. I am not sure SOSUA has any hotels that compare to the all inclusive formula like PD offers. I stayed at the Quiet block...just go to bed after they close the bar...worked for me! ha ha ha ha.....the room back there was huge and very nice I think....it rained for me while I stayed there so I didnt access the beach at all. The AI hotels offer an easy worry free enviroment...you can eat out of take the easy route and eat in.....when you go out and about into caberette or sosua, you can choose to eat there...if you dont find what you like...there hours of the buffet at the hotels are long enough to come back and eat. Until you are much learned in the area...having all the help at the AI guide your excursions is a much better choice than trying to go out and secure them yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!........yeah you may pay a LITTLE bit more.....but who wants hassles and problems on your preciosu vacation?.....you might have flown half way around the world...dont be cheap, and try to skimp when its time to have fun.

the choice is really to choose an NON AI and stay closer to the action ( sosua-cabertte) or stay at the worry free AI 's in POP and PD... and travel to the sosua area for your night life.......the truth is you may have fun in PD and not know what you missed in the other areas!!!!!!!!!!

if its a first time trip I would suggest the larger places and take excursions to see what the other places are like and feel them out.... then you know what you are dealing with and can piece together your custom vacation next time

good luck

bob

blitz

Apr 3, 2006
I just returned from the Gran Ventana last week. Had a GREAT time! I love the Dominican.... I have visited the Breezes in Punta Cana last November, so I only have it to compare to. (other places I've visited, I was too young and don't remember well)

FOOD: I had assumed that it being rated as a 4 star plus (according to Signature Vacations) would have meant better food than Breezes (a 3 star) but that was wrong. For the record, I'm a really picky eater so I'll admit it's hard to please me in that way... I did find the food areas clean and sanitary though, which is definately important. The Italian restaurant was by far my favourite, Octopus not bad, and the Ocean Grill was awful.

ROOMS: My ONLY complaint would be the lack of an alarm clock. Otherwise, everything you needed was there for you, it was very clean, the beds comfortable (pillows not as much), and the fridge was restocked daily. If you want a fridge full of beer, leave a note with a tip "mucho cerveza por favor", and you shall receive!

BEACH: This was another huge disappointment after having been to Punta Cana. Obviously being further from the Carribean, you just don't get the white sands and such beautiful turquoise water, and it can get very windy/rough. It is however a very long beach!!

NIGHTLIFE: It was poorly advertised, but if you pay attention, every night after the show they have a "disco tour". The times I went, there wasn't much of a tour, but the Roadway (restaurant turned disco at night) is literally steps away... bring a drink with you if you want, just ask the security guards at the gate to give you a plastic cup! Otherwise, a beer will put you back 100 pesos.

Normally, nightlife would have been more of a focus to me, but I travelled with my mum.. so staying close to the hotel was perfect.

From reading things here, next time I travel to POP, I will visit Cabarete. I had a great time in Playa Dorada, and also when we ventured out of the complex into Puerto Plata on the "bus" (aka minivan that crams as many people into it as possible) which cost us 20 pesos each... There's absolutely nothing to be worried about during the day, I never once felt scared or threatened...

My major complaint with this resort is the lack of SERVICE these people provide to you. You don't at all feel like they're going out of their way to do things for you. On the plus side, a lot more people speak english in Puerto Plata than in Punta Cana.. so you will find it easier communicating with them.

Also, there is only one bar open around the pool during the day, and it's always ridiculously busy. Another one opens later at night, but should be open all day.

If anyone would like to ask me anymore questions, feel free to message me..

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
To the OP...if I am correct in assuming this is your first trip to an AI, I would not generalize and say all AIs are not for single travellers. I have travelled to the GV solo, and some other resorts, and havent had a bad experience based on this, I guess it just depends on what you hope to get out of your vacation. Sorry that aspect didnt pan out to meet other singles, but try to make the most of a vacation.
Without trying to be offensive, I agree that this resort definately attracts a certain "class" (or lack thereof!!) of people from a certain country in Europe...but dont let that discourage you.
As for the pricing of goods and excurions, as one who has travelled extensively, I think that tourist traps are the norm in these type of "tourist oriented" destination. If you venture out into the towns or barrios where the locals live, you will notice the price of things is significantly less (although you will be spotted as a tourist for apparent reasons!).
Some of my best DR vacations have been spent off resorts though, I must agree.