Exchanging money in Sosua

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
On my last trip to Sosua I noticed that it has become necessary to negotiate to get the best exchange rate. This is true both with the street money changes and the cambios.

I?ve never felt the need to negotiate in other areas of the country. Is this a new trend or is it unique to Sosua?

Also, is Sosua the only place where the street money changers are prevalent? The first time I saw them I thought they were con artists, but on this last trip they seemed to give the best exchange rates.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It's amazing how many money changers there are on the street in Sosua. I don't see them other places, either. Used to see them on the Conde in Santo Domingo, but on my last few trips there, I didn't see any.

They do seem to give the best rate, but I believe there is more risk with a money chaner on street. However, so far haven't heard reports of people being cheated by street changers in Sosua.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
In my opinion, unless you know the guy on the street, it's not worth the risk of a cointerfeit bill or being robbed.

I agree it seems they offer a Peso below the market Tasa so negotiating is a must at the smaller Cambios. It pays to shop the rate if changing $100USD plus. The range yesterday was as low as 33 and as high as 34.10.
110 Pesos is a few beers!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have done business with a lot of the money changers on the corner across from La Roca. The ones I deal with are as reputable as any. I even cash checks in U.S. dollars with them. They give me the cash immediately, so they are in fact trusting me. Something no con artist will ever do.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I always get the best rate at the Western union office - maybe I'm not a good negotiator. By the way, the Banco Popular ATM was at 34.15 yesterday. - D

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
exchanging momey

there are hundreds of street exchangers here in SD,but I would not use them...they are mostly crooks...only use exchange houses and if you go regularly,you always will get best rate...tourists usually get less...
34.75 here in SD yesterday...got 35 on wed...
bob

A

apostropheman

i'm wary of changing money on the street or anywhere in public like the beach. too many people watching and waiting for an oppourtunity. i'm going to call a money changer to come to me in future. if you have friends there chances are they know a reliable person that provides this service.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Just curious, but there are banks in Sosua. Would they give a better rate than the street money changers or the resorts? Or is it better to exchange on the street?

Boricuajoe

Dec 30, 2004
Most banks give you a better rate if you have a bank account with them and the supervisor sees you often conducting business there. Banco Popular and Banco Santa Cruz are known for this trend.