2 way radios

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I am buying some 2 way radios to bring down to Sosua. In the US they supposedly require an FCC license. Is there any such requirement in the DR?

Last month I brought a few cheap Radio Shack walkie talkies as presents for the kids, and I realized that it's a fantastic way to keep track of the brood. While the kids are out on their bikes, mom's at the supermarket and I'm strolling the beach, we're all connected. - D

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Do they work well?

I was thinking about purchasing a pair of these when we travel down. Also thought it easy to keep in touch when groups split up. But I wondered if there is any difference in frequencies from Canada & DR, and just how well they would work. And, do you have to purchase top of the line? Anyone with experience?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
snowqueen said:
I was thinking about purchasing a pair of these when we travel down. Also thought it easy to keep in touch when groups split up. But I wondered if there is any difference in frequencies from Canada & DR, and just how well they would work. And, do you have to purchase top of the line? Anyone with experience?

They work fine. There are several types like Motorola and Midland that have between a 5 an 10 mile range that are about $60 per pair with rechargeable batteries. If one group is at the beach and the other is at the hotel, it's a perfect way to communicate. - D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
During the holidays, Radio Shack at Bella Vista Mall had great deals on these. Some highpowered (10 miles reach, comparable to most Citizen Band radios). Again, you don't need license to operate them in the DR, or at least they are not enforced. By the way, you may look into becoming a Radio Ham in the DR.

HI8ALS

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Mirador said:
During the holidays, Radio Shack at Bella Vista Mall had great deals on these. Some highpowered (10 miles reach, comparable to most Citizen Band radios). Again, you don't need license to operate them in the DR, or at least they are not enforced. By the way, you may look into becoming a Radio Ham in the DR.

HI8ALS

Take any distance claims and cut them in half - especially at Radio Shack. Terrain, buildings etc. can really cut down on distance. also, rechargeable batteries are a must. That said, thay are really cool, fun for the kids, and useful for the parents.