Domestic help

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We are moving to the DR. We have a long time friend who wants to be our house man, interperter and sometimes chauffeur on a motor bike to the Supermarkado. He will have room and board. Can someone give us an idea what the current rate of pay is for this.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I think live in maids make about 5,000 RD or so a month, depending on location.

If he is a true friend and you value your relationship as it is I recommend that you do not become his full time employer. I think it would change your relationship and could potentialy ruin it. Hire him for odd jobs or special occasions but I think you will ruin your friendship eventually if you hire him as a live in full time employee. Just my two cents.

Good luck with your move.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Go ahead, ask him what wages he would feel comfortable working with, then negotiate from there. However, always give him the impression you are having a hard time making ends meet...

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
PURE SLAVERY !

Just kidding. That's about 152 USD / mo ? Well, s/he does get free room and board, so that counts for about 3x that much (at least).

Jimmydr said:
Our live in maid was paid 3,000 pesos a month.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
I agree with what expatsooner wrote

Don't hire him. You will ruin your relationship with him

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:
However, always give him the impression you are having a hard time making ends meet...

Sage advice. Always cry poor.

I also agree with the others who have warned against making a "friend" an "employee".

Scandall