Steak That Melts In Your Mouth...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I have been trying to grill a steak that melts. You know the kind. I have tried several techniques that I thought would work. I have failed. I know this has been discussed before. Bare with me. I have asked for and purchased the best meat the butcher has. I still get a tough steak. Are upscale restaurants importing the meat they use or can I buy it here and prepare it for an awesome dinner???????????????????????????????????????????

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Snuffy said:
I have been trying to grill a steak that melts. You know the kind. I have tried several techniques that I thought would work. I have failed. I know this has been discussed before. Bare with me. I have asked for and purchased the best meat the butcher has. I still get a tough steak. Are upscale restaurants importing the meat they use or can I buy it here and prepare it for an awesome dinner???????????????????????????????????????????

Sounds like probably you're not 'aging' the meat. You have to leave the meat between four and six days in the refrigerator, without freezing. And marinate at least a day before grilling. Remember to scrape or cut any mould buildup after refrigeration.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
How is it going buddy

Snuffy said:

I believe to get the quality like at the restaurant we ate at, it must be ordered ?

As far as making tender..... marinating in anything like, lemon, lime juice will break down the capillaries... to make tender, but still may not have flavor due to the cut of meat.

I have a handheld tenderizer that works great for all meats it's called a Jaccard.you Can tenderizer any piece of meat in 30 seconds.

I'll bring you one next trip.;)

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Sort of hard to do a good steak in the DR. Imported meat is the way to go. I haven't tried chef pepper yet buy others say they are pretty good. Omaha gourmet has imported steaks but with their prices you are most likely better off at the Outback or the place that Scandall and Robert have been raving about!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's near impossible to get Dominican beef filets that are tender.
Certainly not in the supermarkets.
As best as I know, other than us, all the restaurants that serve good steaks in Sosua, use the imported beef.
If you do get a good Dominican steak, it is way better than the imported one, both in taste and food value.
As some people mentioned, you could try marinating it and maybe even hammering it a bit, because if you can get a tender one, it's nothing less than awesome.

A

apostropheman

the steak i had at the new year's party, both this year and last, was excellent!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
ok....here's what I do with every t-bone,delmonico etc.

except the filet (which I do another way).

Once purchased and brought home...rub both sides of steaks with bitter orange, wrap well in plastic wrap (empty, clean food bag will do) and refrigerate 24-48 hrs at bottom of fridge.
Then make a paste of meat tenderizer-ablando carne- and lemon juice (yeah those little green things that are actually limes) and rub both sides of steak. Re-wrap and freeze until needed (yes....the freezing actually helps tenderize them and since Dominican beef is stronger flavoured that the imported not much taste is lost in the freezing.
Thaw out in fridge overnight when needed.
When thoroughly thawed out, cover with plastic wrap or bag and pound both sides with a meat hammer or the rounded bottom edge of a thick bottle (be sure you drink the Presidente first!;) ;) ).

Now you are ready to barbeque or do on the grill. Make sure the barbeque or gill is really hot.

Season the steaks with a little garlic, pepper, and any other spice you like -NO SALT........brown both sides quickly to seal in juice then place over medium high heat until done to your liking (remember too well done will make ANY steak tough).
Season with salt just before removing from "plancha' or barbeque.

For heavens sake....DON"T pierce the meat with a fork while cooking. Use tongs ALWAYS!

Enjoy!!

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
You're joking.... dominican beef

Rocky said:
It's near impossible to get Dominican beef filets that are tender.
Certainly not in the supermarkets.
As best as I know, other than us, all the restaurants that serve good steaks in Sosua, use the imported beef.
If you do get a good Dominican steak, it is way better than the imported one, both in taste and food value.
As some people mentioned, you could try marinating it and maybe even hammering it a bit, because if you can get a tender one, it's nothing less than awesome.

Were not talking about boiling pork in a crockpot.

Were talking about quality beef.... and to say you cannot get no better than their product is hilarious.:eek: Not talking about the cost were talking about quality.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
easygoin said:

Were talking about quality beef.... and to say you cannot get no better than their product is hilarious.:eek: Not talking about the cost were talking about quality.

And, in that case, what Marc said is correct. Read his post again maybe?

Stay well,
Amy

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
I did read closely

amy2761 said:
And, in that case, what Marc said is correct. Read his post again maybe?

Stay well,
Amy

All imported.... that means from anywhere no matter where.
So if you believe that is true more power to you.;)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
easygoin said:
All imported.... that means from anywhere no matter where.
So if you believe that is true more power to you.;)

Sorry, I thought he said "all the restaurants that serve good steaks in Sosua, use the imported beef."

Doesn't matter where it's from if it's 'good' which, in this case, means tender. So, lets make this a little simpler, if I can 'butcher' what Marc's said to make it a little more understandable ..... all the restaurats that serve tender steaks in Sosua use imported beef.

Does that clear it up? :classic:

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. Marc - please correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
No not at all

amy2761 said:
Sorry, I thought he said "all the restaurants that serve good steaks in Sosua, use the imported beef."

Doesn't matter where it's from if it's 'good' which, in this case, means tender. So, lets make this a little simpler, if I can 'butcher' what Marc's said to make it a little more understandable ..... all the restaurats that serve tender steaks in Sosua use imported beef.

Does that clear it up? :classic:

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. Marc - please correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding

The point was you will not find no better, prize was not the topic.;)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
easygoin said:
The point was you will not find no better, prize was not the topic.;)

*eyes on the prize*

Better than US steak?
I have had better - Rocky's steaks on New Year's Eve were pretty damn good, I eat very little red meat but I do love it, so when I do eat it I am bitterly disappointed if it's not exceptional. To my knowledge, Rocky's steaks are local and they were exceptional. This is coming from someone who imports meat from the Turks and Caicos (who in turn import their meat from the states) every few months just to have a 'good' steak instead of risk it and chance a bad experience ... I know my meat!! :classic:

Stay well,
Amy

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
I know my MEAT also.. boiled or not.

amy2761 said:
*eyes on the prize*

Better than US steak?
I have had better - Rocky's steaks on New Year's Eve were pretty damn good, I eat very little red meat but I do love it, so when I do eat it I am bitterly disappointed if it's not exceptional. To my knowledge, Rocky's steaks are local and they were exceptional. This is coming from someone who imports meat from the Turks and Caicos (who in turn import their meat from the states) every few months just to have a 'good' steak instead of risk it and chance a bad experience ... I know my meat!! :classic:

Stay well,
Amy

I just hope you're little puppy comes to you healthy.Good luck with your little buddy.;) ;) ;) ;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
amy2761 said:
Thanks! I'll be taking him around to meet the North Coast Crowd for sure!

Stay well,
Amy

Glad to hear you're taking THE PUP to the North Coast.;) In your travels stop by Eddie's and have a cold one on me.... and I WILL PAY up when I get there.;) ;) ;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
easygoin said:

I have to admit that I am not sure what you are talking about, although Amy seems to understand.
Anyhow, just to clarify, this is not an advertisement for Rocky's and which steaks we choose to use.
When I was in the fruit & veggie biz here for 8 years, we supplied 90% of the restaurants in Sosua & Cabarete.
It came to my attention, that one of the biggest problems our clients had, was getting good tender beef.
Along the way, I met several vendors, who sold impoted beef. From my recollection, most, if not all of it was from the US.
When we opened the restaurant in Rocky's, I was faced with the same problem.
We found that if, and it's a big if, we could get a tender beef filet, that it tasted better than it's American counterpart, and, of course, as the cattle are not hormone enhanced and just graze on local grass, I assume it must be healthier, although I have no scientific evidence.
Anyhow, it's a constant battle, trying to get good cuts, and I have never found really good cuts in the supermarkets.
We buy from slaughter houses, and, as we are their biggest filet customers here,(as it appears that everybody else is buying the imported beef), we get a preferential treatment, and they keep the better cuts for us.
Despite that, it's not uncommon to find that they are not as tender as I would like them to be, so we tenderize them and cut them up into strips for the steak subs.
IMHO, when you do get a Dominican steak filet, at it's best, it is the best steak I have ever had.
Perhaps I should have written all this in my first reply, but, as I said, I am not trying to get some free advertizing here, furthermore, some may disagree with me, as they may prefer US beef.
My point is that it is very difficult to get a good tender beef filet from the DR, but if you do, it may very well be the best steak you ever had.
I hope I made myself clear.
Regards, Marco.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Easygoing, just a quick question.
I saw you mention boiling meat a couple of times.
Did you think we boiled our steaks?
Is that what this is all about?