Residency Question

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
Is there any particular ADVANTAGE to using an attorney to complete and submit your application for residencia? Does the application carry more weight or look more favorable to immigration officials or something?

Is an application directly from an individual more likely to get denied than one submitted by a licensed attorney?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you speak good Spanish, have the time and are patient, you can do it yourself. The advantage of using an attorney is that they know exactly what must be done and often save you a lot of time and anxiety.

OIf course, you don't want just any attorney. If you decide to use an attorny,best to ask this board who are the best people to use in whatever area you are in.

My recommendation is to use an attorney

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
Yeah, I already have my attorney. Guzman.

I am just curious though.. that's all. Here in USA, I do everything myself - all my business affairs... So, it's weird to pay someone to do "paperwork" and such.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I used Guzman myself. He is trustworthy.

In the US you are fluent in the language, know the customs and procedures, know who to see and where to go, etc. Here language, customs, and everything else are different. I recommend using the attorney to get the provisional residency and, a year later, the permanent residency. After that you can easily handle the periodic renewals yourself if here.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I arranged for both my temporary and later permanent residency all on my own, but even with the new protocols in place and a fairly straightforward corruption free process ahead of you, it might be well worth it to pay extra bucks to have the lawyer do the paperwork. I went ahead and did it myself because I am a journalist and i wanted to see a governmental process up close. On the whole I was not disappointed, though there was an attempt to shake me down, and there were delays, confusion, and incompetence. In order to save yourself the time and effort wasted as a result of that confusion, as well as save yourself the time you will have to spend waiting on lines (or rather, pushing your way through the crowds), you might consider letting the lawyer do his thing. If you have no command of Spanish and no understanding of the culture here, then I strongly recommend that you hire the lawyer.

G

gary short

Where is Guzman's office located and what price would one expect to pay in order to get residency status? Also what documents are required and does one have to travel to the capital? Excuse my newbietity. I'm sure this has been covered.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
gary short said:
Where is Guzman's office located and what price would one expect to pay in order to get residency status? Also what documents are required and does one have to travel to the capital? Excuse my newbietity. I'm sure this has been covered.
His firm has offices all over the Dominican Republic here's their website: http://drlawyer.com/

Just send him a PM or an email asking him the approximate cost.

newbietity... I like it:)

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I Used Guzman for my house and now my redidency. His prices are actrually less than the "street lawyers" .........

tropicalsun

Apr 29, 2006
Attorney not required?

macocael said:
I arranged for both my temporary and later permanent residency all on my own, but even with the new protocols in place and a fairly straightforward corruption free process ahead of you, it might be well worth it to pay extra bucks to have the lawyer do the paperwork. I went ahead and did it myself because I am a journalist and i wanted to see a governmental process up close. On the whole I was not disappointed, though there was an attempt to shake me down, and there were delays, confusion, and incompetence. In order to save yourself the time and effort wasted as a result of that confusion, as well as save yourself the time you will have to spend waiting on lines (or rather, pushing your way through the crowds), you might consider letting the lawyer do his thing. If you have no command of Spanish and no understanding of the culture here, then I strongly recommend that you hire the lawyer.

So, an attorney isn't required? Can you describe the process?
I checked the law regarding attorney honorarios and didn't find anything regarding visas or migracion. I assume the fee must be hour based. How long (how many hours) should it take an attorney to complete this process?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Attorneys work on fixed fee's to obtain Residency for you.

Between US$1000-1500

I think Fabio charges US$1000 for temporary residency (ask him). He has an excellent track record and obtained residency for many people that post on DR1.

tropicalsun

Apr 29, 2006
attorney fees for residency

Robert said:
Attorneys work on fixed fee's to obtain Residency for you.

Between US$1000-1500

I think Fabio charges US$1000 for temporary residency (ask him). He has an excellent track record and obtained residency for many people that post on DR1.

Robert, thank you for your reply. Yes, I know the government mandates "monopolistic" set fees. The point of my post was that I didn't find residency in the fee schedule. I have seen prices quoted on this board, from $usd 150 - $usd 2000 with most being around $usd1000.

This is why I wanted to know how long it takes to complete the application. I may do it myself.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
About 90 days, give a take a couple of weeks to complete your temporary residency. On your own, I guess the same. If you have the time and the patience, doing it yourself is the way to go. Most don't, as it can be a VERY frustrating process.

I guess I spent a total of 2hrs when Fabio Guzman did mine.
They handle the paper work, know the system and cut out the waiting around time.
You basically show up for the photo and medical tests and again to pickup your residency card and cedula (national ID card).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The main hang ups are the letters that are needed and the translations that are needed.
The letters must be notarized and then signed by the Attorney General;s office. That takes knowledge and some pull to get it done in a timely fashion. The "WHO" is most important.

The letters of guarantors are also something that can cause delays. Who will guarantee your stay here and the costs of getting you out of the country if this need should arise?

The rest is just photocopies of documents-but how will you knowhow to ask the local Police Commandant for a letter of good conduct>?? And know how to hand over a few $$ at the same time..

Not really necessary (lawyer) except for the writing of the different letters..and that is what they charge for.

HB :D:D

deecat3

Apr 1, 2006
How long do you have to plan on staying before applying for temporary residency?
What if I stayed 6 months at a time???

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
deecat3 said:
How long do you have to plan on staying before applying for temporary residency?
What if I stayed 6 months at a time???

There is no minimum stay in the country required prior to applying for your residency. You would only need to come down to the DR on two occasions and leave the day after or even on the same day: 1) To take your medical exam. You will be ready to fly back most probably at noon that day, and 2) To retrieve your residency documentation once it is ready for pick up (Your attorney will inform you when).