holiday enquiry

bedlington

Jan 8, 2006
Please can anyone help we are visiting D.R. in Feb and wish to see some real local culture and meet some local people away from the tourist route we do wish to go on any tourist trips but do acknowledge we may have to to see some things we would like to see the 7 waterfalls, Jungle safari, a local community, Doldhins if possible in the wild we also enjoy walking/hiking and nature animals in the wild we have 2 children 12 & 9 who love the outdoors rope swings, pools in rivers can anyone suggest anything i am well travelled and i am against the expensive prices the tour operators charge so lets give something back to the community We are from the u.k. so must be English speaking enough to communicate anyway.

WIL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What a great idea to get out and see the country!!

Under the SEARCH function at the top of this page, look up DAMAJAGUA FALLS

There is a post by Robert. Cleef wrote it and took the pictures. Great post.

On the North Shore there is Ocean World, a real must see. You can get ATV tours into the hills as well.

The four days in Jarabacoa might be a bit much but there are at least two things to do up there: walk the Jimenoa Falls and go riding out of Rancho Baiguate.

Also, take a trip to La VEga or Santiago on a Sunday morning and spend the day watching the carnival parades. In Santiago, go visit the Centro Leon, the most modern cultural center in the Caribbean and Latin America.

To assist you, I can suggest making contact with Roc?o Valerio at palomalinda0890@hotmail.com. Her husband is English speaking and a great guide to all things Dominican. Their pricing is also quite reasonable.

There are also a couple of people on the North Coast that can provide similar services. I am sure someone here will chip in with their contact information. You can "shop and compare" .....:p

Have a great time!

HB :D:D:D

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Are you FROM bedlington WIL ??? It's a LONG time since I went that way!!

You didn't say which hotel you are staying in but if it is on the Playa Dorada complex, your children might enjoy Fun City motor park just up the road from you. Go-Carting circuit plus a few other additions.

The Dolphin centre is fairly close to us in Puerto Plata & I am sure it does pick-ups from most Puerto Plata Hotels. I thiunk there is a chance that conchman might be able to give a bit more information on this point!

Enjoy the holiday - I am sure you will be back again after this one too!! ~ Grahame.

bedlington

Jan 8, 2006
Thanks for all info sounds fantastic but i am afraid of the safety aspect at Damajagua falls!! as i have read a few reports on this and i have to think of the kids.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
bedlington said:
Thanks for all info sounds fantastic but i am afraid of the safety aspect at Damajagua falls!! as i have read a few reports on this and i have to think of the kids.

The falls are indeed dangerous but only if we have had a lot of rain. Tours should not go to the falls during and a few days after rain, or during heavy rainy periods. But they do. If it is a dry period, the falls are great.