Im loooking for a word....

Status
Not open for further replies.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
My Dominican friends say a word that sounds like 'alante' to mean something like 'rich' or 'wealthy.' Does anyone know what word it is and how to spell it? I think it could be a slang word. Thanks!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Alante means forward-front-in front of.
So, perhaps you got the word out of context.
The dominicans may say, "Nosvamos por alante", meaning we are moving forward, which could also mean getting wealthy.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rocky said:
The dominicans may say, "Nosvamos por alante", meaning we are moving forward, which could also mean getting wealthy.

Sounds like what Clear777 is referring to is the DR slang term 'allante' or 'allantar', which means to boast or presume something you are not or don't have. For example, a sankie boasting to his friends that he has a Canuck girl at the resort all wrapped around his 'thumb'. His friends will say, 'eso es un allante', or 'no seas allantoso'.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
yikes...

My friend said it when I gave him a present. He just said 'alante alante!' It sounded like it was in a good way. I asked him what it meant and he said something about rich or an expensive gift or something, but I couldn't find the word in a dictionary so I presumed it must be slang. I hope he didnt mean it in the 'wrapped around his finger' context!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Rocky said:

Close: it's adelante, from adelantar.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Adelante is what you might say when you are inviting someone to come in your home.
It may also mean, go ahead.
If your standing in line at the bank, the teller may say "adelante" to let you know it's your turn.
It's to do with moving forward, maybe even welcoming in.
Do you know what I mean?

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Yeah I get it now. But that doesnt sound like the context he was putting it in. He said it in a joking manner as if it was a good thing. But for all I know, he could of been having a private joke in Spanish. It was said alot between three guys I know. They also have other slang they use which is used for different purposes than what the word actually means. For example, they say 'toma toma' for sex.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
eralc777 said:
Yeah I get it now. But that doesnt sound like the context he was putting it in. He said it in a joking manner as if it was a good thing. But for all I know, he could of been having a private joke in Spanish. It was said alot between three guys I know. They also have other slang they use which is used for different purposes than what the word actually means. For example, they say 'toma toma' for sex.
Everytime I learn a new language, I discover that it comes with cultural differences, as well.
I understand your confusion, and I can't say for sure, as I was not there, but it sounded kind of welcoming and appreciative to me, the way you relate it.
I don't believe they were mocking you, or anything like that.
Just happy for the presents and your presence.
When they say "toma, toma' for sex, they are just saying, "help yourself".

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Thats great Rocky, thanks so much for your help! Learning a language is so difficult! Im sure everything will become much clearer in time. At least Im not confused about this word any more. Thanks again!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Rocky said:
Adelante is what you might say when you are inviting someone to come in your home.
It may also mean, go ahead.
If your standing in line at the bank, the teller may say "adelante" to let you know it's your turn.
It's to do with moving forward, maybe even welcoming in.
Do you know what I mean?

Signs prohibiting passing (at least in Nicaragua) say "No Adelantar" for example. E.g. don't take your trun passing the guy in front.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My sister lived in Mexico for many years.
When you give her something nice, or when you say something she can relate positively to she says "anda."
Regarding "alante," I take it as a positive expression that has a little different meaning in each situation.
Hechandome pa' 'lante.
Mary

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
mkohn said:
My sister lived in Mexico for many years.
When you give her something nice, or when you say something she can relate positively to she says "anda."
Regarding "alante," I take it as a positive expression that has a little different meaning in each situation.
Hechandome pa' 'lante.
Mary
That's a very good example.
Anda, which sort of means, walk, or move, or perambulate, is not far off of "adelante", which can mean, move forward.
I think these Dominicans were pleased and used the words that expressed it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
UH, Mary? That's "ech?ndome pa' lante" No h...:p

My take on this is that the fellow is pretty much what we refer to here as a sankie. That is a no-class person with little or no formal education beyond his "to-die-for" smile and his way with words. He is getting a present from his foreign girl, but doesn't have the couth to say thank you in her language or his!

Sorry, "alante, alante" has no meaning in cultured or educated Spanish...

And yes, I am in a curmudgeony mood....

HB :ermm: :ermm:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Rocky said:
That's a very good example.
Anda, which sort of means, walk, or move, or perambulate, is not far off of "adelante", which can mean, move forward.
I think these Dominicans were pleased and used the words that expressed it.

I think the anda he is talking about does not mean to walk or move. Anda! in an expression sort of means great! For example, you tell a kid "te compre chocolate" he might reply anda or anda tuti. Be careful also as anda could be said in dissappointment. For example, you tell someone "acaba de perder la guagua" he/she will repply anda. The two sound different, on the dissapointment example you want to carry the last "a" a little longer, kind of andaaaa.

johndoe87

Aug 6, 2006
Hi, i just stumbled across this thread and saw that nobody here could give a decent answer to the question. Alante is just the short form of "adelante" which means "in front of". When someone or something is "Alante alante" it means that it's occupying the first place, that's shining above all others and that it has left all of them behind. For example, if john got a new job and is being a lot more succesful than his peers, then people would say "john esta alante alante". If you got a brand new car that makes everyone's head turn when you pass by, people would say "tu carro esta alante alante". In this particular case, if you gave someone a gift and they said "alante alante" it means that it's something really good, that they really like it and probably can show it off, and thus, it's "alante alante".

But this is slang, and as someone else said, it doesn't have a place in cultured or educated spanish.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
It is slang of course. If you are dressed i n the ultimate fashion, someone might remark, Tu 'tá' alante alante -- ahead of the pack, out in front, on the cutting edge -- pick your equivalent English slang. And while it may be slang, any Dominican of any class will understand the phrase, just as any American would understand any of the phrases I just listed. Slang in itself is nothing shameful, it is colorful speech, and it's a good idea to know what it means and when to use it.

drzlokiya2nv

Feb 20, 2008
as a dominican... when dominicans use the word alante they use it in the context of something being nice or hot.. it's slang... let's say the outfit you're wearing is very nice... they'll say "tu ropa ta alante alante".. or someone can say that your alante alante because you're hip, cool, etc... it's kind of like someone saying something is jevi...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
oh wow I hope the OP comes back to get the right meaning of the slang phrase 'alante alante', i think the last 3 replies are right on.

Status
Not open for further replies.