Dying in the Dominican Republic....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Jimmy that's a good topic that's never been cover. We suggested it before.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Jimmy,

This is a good idea to brainstorm about. I have thought about this as well but have not investigated it YET. HMMM.

JD

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
In Puerto Plata, where I live, there is only one cemetery.
The area is not divided in centuries, nor in expats or locals, or "noble" families.
You are burried above ground, where space is available.
In the villages around you will also find small cemeteries.
There is no "expat/immigrant" cemetery, although there are family graves.

Also, maybe to take into consideration, is if you have family here that will provide the rituals, costs etc for you.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
carina said:
In Puerto Plata, where I live, there is only one cemetery.
The area is not divided in centuries, nor in expats or locals, or "noble" families.
You are burried above ground, where space is available.
In the villages around you will also find small cemeteries.
There is no "expat/immigrant" cemetery, although there are family graves.

Also, maybe to take into consideration, is if you have family here that will provide the rituals, costs etc for you.

The only family that I plan on having is maybe a few adopted chichren and a few natural ones in the coming years.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Jimmydr said:
The only family that I plan on having is maybe a few adopted chichren and a few natural ones in the coming years.

That?s a family.:classic:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What difference does it make where you are buried? You will never know if your desire came true.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Jimmydr said:
Well if I live there with my brother, one of us will go first I am thinking.

On a more serious note, if this really matters to you, go and check all out where you will live in DR.
There are funeral homes, taking care of everything such as coffin, reception, car, and tomb.
It is not difficult at all, and if you feel better knowing the procedure, then ask a friend who knows the area to go with you, and check all out.:classic:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
At the moment, I'm leaving my body to a medical school in the US. Once I move down full time, I'll leave it to a DR school. My Dominican girlfriend is shocked by the idea, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me. - D

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Danny W said:
At the moment, I'm leaving my body to a medical school in the US. Once I move down full time, I'll leave it to a DR school. My Dominican girlfriend is shocked by the idea, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me. - D

That sounds like a good plan.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Danny W said:

I can imagine she is shocked..here they don?t even do ironing when having periods, as the believe is they?ll die then..:classic:
And don?t shower in cold water during that time either, then the blood freezes and won?t "come out" and they?ll die too:classic: :classic:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Blandino in Santiago and Santo Domingo does cremation. That is my plan.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Unbelievable

I can not believe there have been 18 posts on this subject and not one has mentioned cremation.

I have already lost a wife, two parents-in-law, my two parents, two sister-in-laws and a brother-in-law and all were cremated.

Cremation does have a down side in certain circumstances tho I think.

Kiwi Bruce