Success starts at home first....

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Having travelled extensively since 2000 the one thing that I notice is winners at home are winners abroad and losers shall always be losers.

I see people arriving in DR with as much as $100,000 and as little as $3,000 all thinking that they will be successful in Dr whereas they were not back home.

I see many successful retired people in DR that came there to live better, not stick it rich. I spent over 100 days there during 2005 because I needed a break from working.

Just my opinion.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Living among palm trees in a new culture, usually do not change peoples chances in success in business, I agree.

What can change the scenery though, can be that here you can have success in a business that might have been your hobby or interest in your home country, and your actual profession might be useless as well here.
Differences of culture, simple and plain.

Still, reality remain, you need to know what you are doing, here as anywhere else.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
If you come here with $3,000 in your pocket hoping to strike it rich, you most likely will fail. If you come here with a pension and a hobby that you love, you may very well make a little money from it.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Jimmydr, many people come to live here that have retired, or like snowbirds ( over the winter months ). These are very often people that have bought a condo or simular. They live well here on their pensions, not fancy, but well.
They might not chose to work or do business, but they keep busy anyway with different acitivites and get-togethers.

As for coming with money, it would depend on what your plans are and in what field.
Some require very little money, some more.
I think the most important is to come with a head that functions, with patience and with an understanding and willingness to learn the culture here.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
carina said:
Jimmydr, many people come to live here that have retired, or like snowbirds ( over the winter months ). These are very often people that have bought a condo or simular. They live well here on their pensions, not fancy, but well.
They might not chose to work or do business, but they keep busy anyway with different acitivites and get-togethers.

As for coming with money, it would depend on what your plans are and in what field.
Some require very little money, some more.
I think the most important is to come with a head that functions, with patience and with an understanding and willingness to learn the culture here.
I am not talking about those people, because I am one of them people.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
As for business, there are no shortcuts here either, probably same as in any country.
Do well, means alots of work and and knowledge.
Here, you have to ad differences in culture.
If you didn?t make it back home, you probably won?t here either, I agree with you.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
carina said:
As for business, there are no shortcuts here either, probably same as in any country.
Do well, means alots of work and and knowledge.
Here, you have to ad differences in culture.
If you didn?t make it back home, you probably won?t here either, I agree with you.

I bring this up because many new people read this board and there are many things to learn here.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
People don?t learn that from reading here, they need to fail and then maybe they learn. I wish it was different, but it is not.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JimmyDR wrote: "Few learn from here but 98% will never."

D@mn, but truer words were never spoken. Just today I was talking to a nice guy about some fellow countrymen of his that happen to live in Manzanillo. One guy with a great job, pulled this woman out of some dive in Dajabon, set her up to be his local "squeeze" since the docs back home told him he couldn't have children. He now has two with this woman. And she is bleeding him dry.
The kids go around naked (but she spends over 30,000 a month on herself) and barefoot, the house is a mess and the little business he set up for her is totally bankrupt.

This happens all the time. This is one case of the 98% that don't listen...

Take the case of the woman that wants to take her b/f-hubby-whatever back to Canada. To "prove" that they are married, she takes a picture of herself and her mate in bed having sex! This is supposed to convince the Consul that they are married??? (This is a true case as reported to me by a woman that works with Canadian Immigrants :p:p) They don't listen

End of rant!

HB :D:D:D

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Take the case of the woman that wants to take her b/f-hubby-whatever back to Canada. To "prove" that they are married, she takes a picture of herself and her mate in bed having sex! This is supposed to convince the Consul that they are married??? (This is a true case as reported to me by a woman that works with Canadian Immigrants :p:p) They don't listen

That is just too funny. For some people all the advice in the world won't help