DR cops try to holp up visitor.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Hello everyone, just got back from vacation in DR. Very nice vacation overall. Although everything is pricier now, specially around the holidays. I had a couple of bad experiences that left a sour taste in my mouth but with a Presidente the next day it went away.

This is what happened. On Friday the 23rd after dinner and a few Presidentes I dropped my friend in his Colonial Zone apartment. On my way back to Arroyo Hondo I take George Washington to make a right on A. Lincoln or Churchill. It is about 1:30AM or so. I am driving down the Ave and in front of me there is brand new Mercedes Benz with 3 guys drunk as HELL and then some. They are zig zagging on the street with music blasting. Me a tipical visitor, seatbelts on, signaling to turn right, behind them. I notice a cop car right behind us. As I approach A. Lincoln to turn right I signal, guess what the idiots in front of me decide to turn as well and stop halfway thru the turn to talk to some girls walking by. It was very dark. As soon as I start turning my wheel to go around them 3 cops in a car pull next to me as to block me and tell me to pull over. I start thinking in high speed "wait a minute, I am not speeding, i am wearing my seatbelts, did not run any lights, there are 3 drunk goons in front of me, the cops did not stop them, i am by myself, late at night, there are 3 cops, they do not look like cops if you know what i mean, SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT."

The cops tell me to pull over ahead. It is very dark in that area. I reply, what happened, what's going on? they ordered me in a bad tone to pull over. I asked them whay are you stopping me, why don't you stop the 3 drunk guys in the Mercedes. They get a little angry now and ordered me again to pull over ahead. At this point I said "well I am not pulling over if you did't pull the drunk squad why should I pull over, because there were 3 of them and I am only one, I don't think so"

So I stepped on the gas, this guys were so bold as to turn the cop lights and chase me, please like they could catch a cold on their best day. These guys were planning to hold me up that is my math.. They chased me for a little while and gave up when they saw they were in a more iluminated area, I saw them in my rear view mirror turn into a side street.

I was in DR for 3 weeks, and late at night cops want to stop anyone that looks like a tourist for shakedowns and hold ups. During my stay, this was not the only time I was stopped by cops. Just a few days ago, they had a checkpoint by Arroyo Hondo, at an intersection, they saw me a mile away and signal me to stop, they had shotguns out in hand, it was about 8PM there were people around so I stopped. As soon as I stopped they asked to open the door, looked inside, saw my diving gear, one cop behind the vehicle one next to me, not even 1 minute into the stop and they ask me how much money I was going to give them, so I gave them 300 pesos.

Thinking back, I got mad at myself for paying, because first of all, I did nothing wrong, second it is abuse, and third paying only perpetuates this behavior from the cops.

Overall my trip was great, but this experience tells me next time I go I have to be extremely careful. At least this time I was not asked for money at the airport.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CASE #1: Well done
CASE #2: You said it yourself--You blew it. "How much?" Nada..

Thanks for the tip off.

HB :D:D

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I agree with HB...as usual...a very wise man...

Well, on a positive note...there are still good cops around in DR after all!!!

For New Year's Eve, my fiance and I, along with his uncle and another couple friends of ours, decided to go (around 2 a.m.) to El Malec?n to party...

Let me tell you...what a surprise!!! There were cops everywhere...first they wouldn't let us drive one street that leads to the Malecon, but Tony asked them if we could park there, and they agreed...When we got out of the car, Tony went to say 'thanks' and they told him he was 'offending' them by offering money..(I think it was $100 RD)

Then to go into the area where they were having the concert, you had to go through a 'checkpoint' where they frisked everyone...there were some delays because of the many people that wanted to go in...but all in all, I thought it was great!!! Very well organized and secure for everyone to enjoy...We were there until 6 a.m. and not even one bad incident all night!

Had a blast!!!...Good for the changes that are beginning to happen with the police..I hope it lasts!!!

MQ

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
Riu said:
Hello everyone, just got back from vacation in DR. Very nice vacation overall. Although everything is pricier now, specially around the holidays. I had a couple of bad experiences that left a sour taste in my mouth but with a Presidente the next day it went away.

This is what happened. On Friday the 23rd after dinner and a few Presidentes I dropped my friend in his Colonial Zone apartment. On my way back to Arroyo Hondo I take George Washington to make a right on A. Lincoln or Churchill. It is about 1:30AM or so. I am driving down the Ave and in front of me there is brand new Mercedes Benz with 3 guys drunk as HELL and then some. They are zig zagging on the street with music blasting. Me a tipical visitor, seatbelts on, signaling to turn right, behind them. I notice a cop car right behind us. As I approach A. Lincoln to turn right I signal, guess what the idiots in front of me decide to turn as well and stop halfway thru the turn to talk to some girls walking by. It was very dark. As soon as I start turning my wheel to go around them 3 cops in a car pull next to me as to block me and tell me to pull over. I start thinking in high speed "wait a minute, I am not speeding, i am wearing my seatbelts, did not run any lights, there are 3 drunk goons in front of me, the cops did not stop them, i am by myself, late at night, there are 3 cops, they do not look like cops if you know what i mean, SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT."

The cops tell me to pull over ahead. It is very dark in that area. I reply, what happened, what's going on? they ordered me in a bad tone to pull over. I asked them whay are you stopping me, why don't you stop the 3 drunk guys in the Mercedes. They get a little angry now and ordered me again to pull over ahead. At this point I said "well I am not pulling over if you did't pull the drunk squad why should I pull over, because there were 3 of them and I am only one, I don't think so"

So I stepped on the gas, this guys were so bold as to turn the cop lights and chase me, please like they could catch a cold on their best day. These guys were planning to hold me up that is my math.. They chased me for a little while and gave up when they saw they were in a more iluminated area, I saw them in my rear view mirror turn into a side street.

I was in DR for 3 weeks, and late at night cops want to stop anyone that looks like a tourist for shakedowns and hold ups. During my stay, this was not the only time I was stopped by cops. Just a few days ago, they had a checkpoint by Arroyo Hondo, at an intersection, they saw me a mile away and signal me to stop, they had shotguns out in hand, it was about 8PM there were people around so I stopped. As soon as I stopped they asked to open the door, looked inside, saw my diving gear, one cop behind the vehicle one next to me, not even 1 minute into the stop and they ask me how much money I was going to give them, so I gave them 300 pesos.

Thinking back, I got mad at myself for paying, because first of all, I did nothing wrong, second it is abuse, and third paying only perpetuates this behavior from the cops.

Overall my trip was great, but this experience tells me next time I go I have to be extremely careful. At least this time I was not asked for money at the airport.

Yeah, you can't get around this type of crap. When I went to DR last year, my friends and I got stop twice. The first time we had a driver, and he did not want bow down to the cops, so after a little arguing, they let us go.

The second time, I was driving to the airport and following this cab driver that I met before. I do not know my way around Santiago, and that why I was following him. But anyway, I stop at a red light and these cops were standing there. Now, granted I did not have my seat belt on, but lets be honest, 9 out of 10 people who drive there don't wear seat belts. In fact, when the cop was coming to shake me down, I notice that no one in the other cars around me were wearing seat belts, the cars had broken wind shields and half of them were drinking. So obviously the cop could tell I am a tourist and he started to mess with me to get some money. Luckly, the cab driver I was following saw what was going on and he came out of the car to talk with the cops. Since he knew the cops, they let me go.

I have been to DR 4 times last year, and I have not had to come out of pockets to these cops, so I have been lucky. I'm going back in May for two weeks, so hopefully I don't have to deal with this crap again, but I doubt it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MQ: DIDn't you tell me that you were coming to Santiago at the beginning of January??

HB ??????

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
You are right Musicqueen, on a positive note, I see a lot of changes. I do hope they last. It is time they realize that that type of behavior hurst them more in the long run, because visitors will stop coming and with that tourist revenue, that directly or indirectly pays their salaries.

Berto

Jun 20, 2003
On the other hand: a nice officer in Santiago

Gringo expat dropped me and pregnant friend at bus station for Las Terrenas and double parked. Very official looking officer stops and asks for papers. Friend had none and has not even gotten a DR driving license. I try to cover by saying I asked friend to assist the pregnant lady to the bus stop and that I have a license and passport back at hotel (all true).

He says ok, but next time please... Then he goes back to car and is leaving, we flag him done and offer a tip (Why, I'm not sure).

He says "no thank you, that is not necessary."

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Musicqueen said:
..Good for the changes that are beginning to happen with the police..I hope it lasts!!!
I also hope it lasts, and it wasn't just for New Years Eve.