i'm here!!!

tourismstudent

Nov 28, 2005
Hey everyone from sunny Cofresi!

I am finally here and I start my internship tomorrow. Let me know if anyone else lives in Cofresi! So one question...if I am asked by a Dominican guy to go dancing and he works at a fairly reputable restaurant, do u guys think this is okay? Sometimes i don't know who to trust..they are all flirts!

S.S

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Judging by your tagline, I'm going to guess you are very young. I will also assume that you are somewhat naive in the ways of the Dominican Republic.

Assuming the above is true, my advice is do not let anyone, (I don't care if they pull up in a Maserati) get to close to you emotionally. If you want to have a fling, have fun. But don't get attached to anyone, until you get to know the lay of the land.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They are all after two things.

One is sex and the other is a meal ticket out of here.

You should know that the HIV+ rate in the general population is hovering at 4% and anyone who lives in a poor neighborhood or batey is a one in ten risk of HIV+...Facts, not fiction or to scare you.

Just use your head...

HB :D:D Being fatherly tonight

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
rellosk said:
But don't get attached to anyone, until you get to know the lay of the land.

and for pete sakes don't get laid on the land.

time for my nap:tired:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2006
Have fun and enjoy DR as much as you can. Get out and meet as many local people as possible and get to know the culture. You will find that people are genuinely warm and friendly once they know and trust you, but when you first meet someone there, expect the worst and hope for the best. It's more likely that you'll get the best from people, but IMO you can never be too cautious. Keep in mind that obvious foreigners are usually targeted by the lowlives (criminals, sankies, scammers, etc.), and that even legitimate businesses will try to take advantage of obvious foreigners by inflating prices.

You should get a handle of everything and how things are done there in short order. Good luck and have fun!