Products with Energy Star Label

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Has anyone seen products in the DR carrying the US DOE's "Energy Star" approved label for:

clothes washers
clothes dryers
refrigerators
freezers
battery charging systems
commercial lighting
televisions
VCRs
home audio systems
cordless phones
external power adapters
computers
monitors
printers
scanners
copiers
fax machines
laptops
compact fluorescent lightbulbs
residential light fixtures
ceiling fans
commercial fryers
commercial refrigerators
commercial freezers
water coolers​

If so, could you tell me which ones, or at the very least, what kind of product and where (what store in what city) you saw it?

We need this info for an upcoming Green Team. DoE says Energy Star poducts are likely available in the DR, but can't tell us which or where. I'm hoping that the desk guy at Commerce Dept. will be of more help, but not holding my breath.

I'm betting some of our DR1ers resident in the country can help. :classic:

Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
One of my PC?s monitor has it...
Most POST (power on self test) will disply it when you first turn on your PC.
My fridge has it too...

All that stuff was bought down here...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My new AC and the washing machine both have them but I believe they are both American made.
The AC is an Amana and was bought at Pricesmart, and the Maytag washer was bought at Plaza Lama.
Also, the Sharp TV's in our rooms had the Star, as they have a special economy mode that you can set in the menu. I bought them in various places. El Encanto was one store and Plaza Lama as well.
(The stores mentioned are all in Santiago)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Thanks, Squat. I know that one can import your own when moving there (did it myself once upon a time!); what I'm trying to determine is current availability in local stores.

Thanks much, Rocky! Just what I'm looking for. :) A question: did you pick these units because they had the energy savings feature (the Star)? Was it difficult to find which units had them, or did the stores in question tout them in any way?

Best Regards,
Keith

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Keith R said:
A question: did you pick these units because they had the energy savings feature (the Star)? Was it difficult to find which units had them, or did the stores in question tout them in any way?
No, no & no.
Sorry, Keith.
Alan picked the AC up for me, the washer was just the best deal I could find on a giant brand name washer, and the TV's happened to be a decent brand for a decent price.
I will look for the stars in the future.
Regards, Marco.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
LOL you're anticipating my blog's advice! ;)

Thanks, Marco. I didn't think that these features get much play (if any at all) in the DR market, but didn't just want to assume -- thought it better to check. In my experience, usually the price of the appliance, not its cost to use, is what everyone focuses on in the DR.

How about everyone else? Be interested to hear what our owners of commercial businesses, who have had to buy high-draw equipment, have to say....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hi....

My Fridgedair refrigerator, which was bought in Plazaa Lama, Santo Domingo two years ago had the energy star data on it, as did the Microwave I bought at Ferreteria Americana.
So did our TV whcih was also purchased at Plaza Lama.

While the energy star ratings themselves did not determine which appliances I bought (style, size and price being the determining factors) the ratings did help in my choice of brands (energy is expensive down here and also iffy at times:classic: ;) ).

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Thanks, MommC. I'm with you -- with the cost of Dominican energy soaring, people should start thinking of their costs over the life of the appliance, rather than just the initial purchase cost. But before I try to argue this point in a Green Team blog, I want to have some idea of how easy/difficult it is to find energy efficient durables in the DR market. Does no good to make recommendations that do not take into account local conditions! ;)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, seems like some Dominican vendors actually are catching on that they should promote appliances with the Energy Star certification. Check out this banner I found on Americana Departamentos' website:
environment_bannerenergy.gif
It links through to the Energy Star website. Interesting though,as happens all too often in Dominican attempts at using English in marketing, they misspelled a key word. LOL

And on Molina's website I found an Energy Star frig:
environment_Molina_KitchenAid.gif

Didn't see any signs of Energy Star on La Sirena's or Plaza Lama's websites, though. Can't seem to find a website for Curacao Trading Dominicana. Is Elektro still in biz in Santo Domingo? Any other Dominican stores that sell white goods that have websites I should check?

Regards,
Keith
Green Team detective

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Curacao went out of business if I'm not mistaken..........on another note, Keith, check out pt 1 of my trip report, I saved energy by buying Presidentes and drinking them immediately instead of putting them in the freezer to keep them cold :D :D :p hahahahahha