Agriculture question for Hillbilly

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I was going to PM this question to Hillbilly but decided to throw it out here...and will make it short.

I was in the supermarket recently buying some fruit and vegetables. I reached for some nectarines and noticed that they were priced pretty high. About RD$ 140 for two small ones. The price won't put me in the poor house immediatley but seemed a little bit high.

I am not an agriculture expert. Maybe nectarines are expensive everywhere and I just never noticed. Is there a "local answer"?

Scandall

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Scandall said:
Yeah, no ****. But I always assumed they were grown here too. And maybe they are but for some reason are expensive. Who knows! That is why I asked.
Scandall

There are local nectarines Scandall. They are a little smaller and a little greener round the edges. The skin is somewhat 'tighter' (words escape me.. ;)) I have no idea where they are grown.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The expensive ones we see at the supermercados are imported.
Usually from US and South America ( mainly Chile ) and also from Canada.
As with apples, grapes, and pears for example, nectarines are not native in the amount to be found in supermarkets.
In the last published figures, 2002, DR imported fruit for over US$9 millions.

There is alot of interesting stuff to read for the one who wants to know more in the Country Commercial Guide for Dominican Republic Fiscal.
http://www.amcham.org.do/english/infoeconomy/interest/DR_CCG_2004.pdf.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Chris said:
There are local nectarines Scandall. They are a little smaller and a little greener round the edges. The skin is somewhat 'tighter' (words escape me.. ;)) I have no idea where they are grown.

They are grown in the Constanza Valley

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I found a great place to get some unusual products: fruits, herbs, pure cacao, shark oil, etc…. La Hortaliza tel. 567-3059 (W. Churchill same side as BHD, just a bit after). You can buy some humongous pink grapefruit (never had seen those before), nectarines with very few seeds (usually the ones found in supermarkets are half seeds/half fruit).

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
juanita said:
nectarines with very few seeds (usually the ones found in supermarkets are half seeds/half fruit).
Isn't a nectarine a fuzzless peach with a pit?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Isn't a nectarine a fuzzless peach with a pit?
Yes.

I think Juanita was talking about tangerines. The first time I read Scandall's post, my mind thought tangerines.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Juanita, that's great news. I knew this place several years ago but then they stopped selling fruit and veg and only sold plants.

Howmar, nectarines are a genetic variant of peaches, and not, as commonly believed, a cross between a peach and a plum. (Info courtesy Google.com)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Howmar, nectarines are a genetic variant of peaches, and not, as commonly believed, a cross between a peach and a plum. (Info courtesy Google.com)
So they obviously have a single pit and can't be full of seeds.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Scandall said:
. I reached for some nectarines and noticed that they were priced pretty high. About RD$ 140 for two small ones. The price won't put me in the poor house immediatley but seemed a little bit high.

I am not an agriculture expert. Maybe nectarines are expensive everywhere and I just never noticed. Is there a "local answer"?

Scandall

140 pesos - did I read that right? About $4 US for 2 small pieces of fruit? At that price I would think anything that you could shake out of a tree would be a better alternative. I tried a fruit in DR last week for the first time and thought it was pretty good. I think it was called "cajuito" It is red like an apple, shaped like a pear, but when you rinsed it off it tasted more like a peach. Not sure how much they would be in a store but they were good.