Shaving Razors

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Is it still possible to buy a straight razor in pharmacies in the DR? How about permanent razors with replaceable blades? Or Permanent handles with replaceable cartidges? Or are the plastic disposable razors all one finds these days in the stores? (Sure seemed that way when I went to pharmacies in SD this past August).

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Keith R said:
Is it still possible to buy a straight razor in pharmacies in the DR? How about permanent razors with replaceable blades? Or Permanent handles with replaceable cartidges? Or are the plastic disposable razors all one finds these days in the stores? (Sure seemed that way when I went to pharmacies in SD this past August).
I have never seen straight razors, the double edged kind. The permanent handles with replacement cartridges seem to be very popular, although I suspect the disposables sell better in the poorer areas.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Go in any colmado, anywhere in the country and ask for a "Gilette" !
This is how folks down here call the razor blade (double edge rectangle).
The barbers use them in old-fashioned straight razor (like in the western movies !), so I guess one can easily purchase a handle, and a pack of Gilette blades, so one doesn?t need anymore of these plastic razors.

However, yes, in most supermarkets, you are only offered expensive and quite useless disposable plastic razors, or expensive Mach 3...

It would be smart to go back to the real thing !

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Squat said:
Go in any colmado, anywhere in the country and ask for a "Gilette" !
This is how folks down here call the razor blade (double edge rectangle).
The barbers use them in old-fashioned straight razor (like in the western movies !), so I guess one can easily purchase a handle, and a pack of Gilette blades, so one doesn?t need anymore of these plastic razors.

However, yes, in most supermarkets, you are only offered expensive and quite useless disposable plastic razors, or expensive Mach 3...

It would be smart to go back to the real thing !
No kidding?
I never saw the double edged ones.
I thought "gilette" had just become a generic word for any manual shaver, like how we call facial tissues, "Kleenex".
My maids refer to my "expensive Mach 3" as a gilette, and the disposable ones too.
Of course, that might be just a local term.
PS: If you ever see the safety edged rectangular blades, please let me know, as I need some.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
walk down the barrio, stop at any colmado, and request a pack of Gilette. You?ll be given a little orange (or red) box...
If you don?t find any, ask your local barber-shop.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Squat said:
walk down the barrio, stop at any colmado, and request a pack of Gilette. You?ll be given a little orange (or red) box...
If you don?t find any, ask your local barber-shop.
Which just goes to show, that I don't know squat, lol.
Sorry dude. I just had to do that. I crack myself up.
Love the nick.
Regards, marco.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
yes, I know it?s a funny nick... I picked it years ago... It was our teenage buddy group?s nick... i should have realised the meaning in english... In the old days, we used "squatting" as "hangin?out"...
well, now I have to stand up to my nick (!!!)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Thanks, Squat. I'm like Marco -- all these years I thought "gilete" only meant whatever razor, and in the supermarket, it always meant disposables.... Nice to know they're still around. Wonder how hard the handles are to find...But as you say, any barber should be able to tell...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The days of the great double edged razor is long gone but you can still get a pckage of Gillete razor blades almost anywhere. If you want a real "straight razor" -->> like in the westerns-->> that is called a "sevillana" and they are sold in hardware stores, along with strops and sharpening stones.

However, the shave with the new Gillete Mach 3 is sooo much better that even the old Wilkenson Sword blades....

And, yes, you can find soap brushes and mugs here too....

HB :D:D

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hillbilly said:
However, the shave with the new Gillete Mach 3 is sooo much better that even the old Wilkenson Sword blades....
I agree 100%, but didn't dare say anything, for fear of getting my non-eco-friendly hand slapped.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The reason for the original inquiry was as part of preparation for a series in the Green Team blog on "Personal Choices" -- little things we all can do here and there that have a cumulative effect on the environment -- I've been reading all the essays and opinion pieces I can on the environmental aspects of our daily living -- personal care, clothes washing, household appliances, etc. I came across one essentially trying to argue that people should go back to the old barber's straight edge... beyond my own doubts that I would ever use one of those things and whether one would be willing to sacrifice the comfort of current razors, I wondered if this was even a feasible recommendation in the context of Dominican reality. In other words, even if one wanted to do so while living in the DR, could you readily find the supplies in order to pull it off? If not, then it was all a moot point. If so, then I can discuss the pluses and minuses of the various options -- including the comfort factor, which on neck skin like mine that gets easily irritated, is a BIG consideration -- and let the reader decide. But at least it would be an informed choice.

I'm not a big believer in trying to dictate lifestyles or trying to shame people into changes. I would rather give them the tools (information) to make better-informed choices.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Keith R said:
I'm not a big believer in trying to dictate lifestyles or trying to shame people into changes. I would rather give them the tools (information) to make better-informed choices.
Good way to be....