Fishing

bedlington

Jan 8, 2006
Any information on Fishing in North D.R. not the large professional boats just local fishing in a Bay or something similar catching medium sized fish.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There was a dude by the name of Pablo, doing just that, here in Sosua, but I'm not sure if he's still in business.
I do have some old cellphone numbers.
Le me know if you want them.
Also, you can go to Rio San Juan, an hour from here, and work out a deal with a local fisherman, to go out in one of the small wooden boats, and fish with them.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Rocky said:
There was a dude by the name of Pablo, doing just that, here in Sosua, but I'm not sure if he's still in business.
I do have some old cellphone numbers.
Le me know if you want them.
Also, you can go to Rio San Juan, an hour from here, and work out a deal with a local fisherman, to go out in one of the small wooden boats, and fish with them.
Marco,

I'm pretty sure Pablo is not doing that anymore.

Gregg

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
My north coast fishing tale from last week...

I was in Sosua last week and went fishing one morning with my girlfriend's father and brother. We walked along the main road from La Union in the direction of Sosua for about 1/2 mile and then headed through the woods for about a half a mile until we reached the water.

It was a very scenic place to fish as you are on these rocks about 10 feet above the water and there are a lot of small coves. I don't know much about saltwater fishing and didn't know what lure to use so I tried a yellow buck tail jig.

After fishing for about 1/2 hour at sunrise I caught my 1 and only fish of the morning. It was about 20" and put up a strong fight - for the rest of the trip my girlfriend's father made fun of me because I was screaming with joy as I reeled it in. They call the fish a cojinua and I googled this to find that it in English it is a "bar jack." It was a beautiful fish with really blue colors along the top and the bottom.

About 10 other times fish followed my lure until the surface but did not hit it (the water was so clear you could see all the way down). People there said that the lure was too big as the fish that morning were not huge. If I were to fish there again I would bring some fresh water bass spoons or something like that.

There were only a bunch of locals fishing at the spot and I wish I recommend a place that is a little easier to reach. My girlfriend's father said that the next time I come if he has more time we could go to Luperon and rent a small boat as the fishing is supposedly good there. Maybe someone here knows someone who does tours from Luperon.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I haven't done any fishing since I was a kid, but one of the best baits for salt-water fish is .... fish. Get a small fish,. chop it up and put pieces on the hook, even if you are using a lure. The smell will attract them better than just a lure alone.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
MrMike said:
I haven't done any fishing since I was a kid, but one of the best baits for salt-water fish is .... fish. Get a small fish,. chop it up and put pieces on the hook, even if you are using a lure. The smell will attract them better than just a lure alone.

Saltwater fishing a lure is used maybe 1% of the time. MrMike is right!

BTW are there any walk on fishing boats in the Sosua area? Mel' Tours has an open fishing trip but I would think it was geared for tourists not for fishermen.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
MrMike said:

This was the first time I used a lure in salt water (here in NJ I usually use chunks of dead fish). The convenient part about using lures in DR is as there are probably not many (or none) bait shops so you have to catch your own bait fish which can take time. With lures you can straight after the bigger fish.

If I were to go that spot again I would bring a sabiki rig - this a long rig with about six small hooks and something small and flashy near the hooks to attract the the bait fish. I have used them to catch herring for bait and they could work by dangling them vertically from the rocks were were fishing from in Sosua.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Chris_NJ said:
(here in NJ I usually use chunks of dead fish)

Along with some chum on the night trip out of Belmar going for the big blues. Hey Chris, I am from NJ also.