Dominicanization

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
When living in a foreign land sometimes one can't help the fact that you're influenced by the culture around you and you start acting and talking like the locals. I have found myself in situations where I begin to talk like the people around me. Anyone out there is experiencing the same thing while living in DR? After moving to DR, In what way are you becoming Dominicanized?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Yes...

For me the biggest evidence of being "aplatanado" (gone native) is how much more relaxed I am. I used to be pretty high strung. Always rushing. Making lists and running to get it all done just so I could cross things off and make another list.

My family and friends have all noticed it in me.

Scandall

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Scandall said:
For me the biggest evidence of being "aplatanado" (gone native) is how much more relaxed I am. I used to be pretty high strung. Always rushing. Making lists and running to get it all done just so I could cross things off and make another list.

My family and friends have all noticed it in me.

Scandall

Sure make a list in DR and most of the items can not be found.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Jimmydr said:
Sure make a list in DR and most of the items can not be found.

That may be true. But the real kicker is the fact that you won't get most of it done without inconveniences. Those who can deal with the inconveniences do fine here...most end up leaving.

In the States you can make a list of all your errands and knock them out in a few hours. In the DR you can pretty much pick ONE thing per day that you need to get done. Perhaps two. Everything takes longer and there are also the inevitable problems :

"Oh, he's not here."
"Our system is down."
"We lost your records."
"I don't know how to do that. Only Jose does and he has gripe."
"It's raining." (which means that all bets are off)
"Take a number and have a seat." (everywhere)

Scandall

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Scandall said:
That may be true. But the real kicker is the fact that you won't get most of it done without inconveniences. Those who can deal with the inconveniences do fine here...most end up leaving.

In the States you can make a list of all your errands and knock them out in a few hours. In the DR you can pretty much pick ONE thing per day that you need to get done. Perhaps two. Everything takes longer and there are also the inevitable problems :

"Oh, he's not here."
"Our system is down."
"We lost your records."
"I don't know how to do that. Only Jose does and he has gripe."
"It's raining." (which means that all bets are off)
"Take a number and have a seat." (everywhere)

Scandall

Its a great thing that coffee and internet are my #2 and #3 things on my list.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Anna Coniglio said:
I now love habichuelas. ;)
You should be receiving your Dominicanization Diploma really soon!;)

-NAL

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nal0whs said:
You should be receiving your Dominicanization Diploma really soon!;)

-NAL

Thanks Nal

I can cook them and other delicious Dominican dishes thanks to the Aunts. ;)

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
I have been living here for two years and I guess the degree that I have been "Dominicanized" is reflected by the number of traffic tickets I get when I return to the states.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Budson said:
I have been living here for two years and I guess the degree that I have been "Dominicanized" is reflected by the number of traffic tickets I get when I return to the states.
That's hilarious.
I know what you mean.
When I go to America, I simply do not drive, for fear of being tossed in the can, and them throwing away the key.
One sure does change his driving habits, after a certain time of living here.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Three out my four trips back to Boston I have gotten a ticket for some reason or another between picking up my rental at the airport and my first destination. Now when I go back, I have to coach myself before leaving the airport.

Driving Dominican is NYC taxi driving without the rules or road rage.

Jan 5, 2006
It's funny that you guys mention that, because I also feel myself driving more aggresively on the way home from the airport after being being there for just a week or two. My girlfriend also says that my Spanish changes and that the Dominicano in me comes out for the next few weeks after I come back. lol

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Just agressive? You aren't at the point where you only make cursory stops at stop signs and traffic lights? Not crossing medians yet? How about the wrong way down one way streets?

Jan 5, 2006
Budson said:
Just agressive? You aren't at the point where you only make cursory stops at stop signs and traffic lights? Not crossing medians yet? How about the wrong way down one way streets?

I'm sure that if I spent at least one month there at one time, things would get very scary upon my return to the states. I would probably need a refresher driving course! :rambo:

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Hipocrito Mejia said:
I'm sure that if I spent at least one month there at one time, things would get very scary upon my return to the states. I would probably need a refresher driving course! :rambo:

No not really. I stay up to 40 days at a time in DR.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jimmydr said:
Its a great thing that coffee and internet are my #2 and #3 things on my list.

I'll guess you don't have much problem with #1 on your list in the DR either ?