Chocolate in the DR

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Is there a shortage of chocolate in the DR? Should I bring a box of Hershey Chocolate Bars to barter for discounts?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
bigbird said:
Is there a shortage of chocolate in the DR? Should I bring a box of Hershey Chocolate Bars to barter for discounts?
There's no shortage of chocolate, although it would be difficult to get your hands on top of the line Belgian chocolate.
I really don't think you will be able to barter for anything, with chocolates, although we do have a few POP members who may fetch, sit & roll over for Belgian chocolate.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Chris said:
There is a shortage of good German or Swiss or "High Class" Chocolate... Hersheys will get you nowhere ;)

Okay, I will leave the 3 for a $1 candy bars home and bring the real thing.:beard:

Thanks for the info........

Maybe I could give the 3 for a buck to the kids and save the good stuff for the good stuff.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
bigbird said:
Maybe I could give the 3 for a buck to the kids and save the good stuff for the good stuff.
Although it's a bit cooler these days, chocolates are difficult to keep from melting in this climate.
Perhaps you could bring candy or bubble gum, that might be a bit more weather resistant.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Rocky said:
Perhaps you could bring candy or bubble gum, that might be a bit more weather resistant.

Bubble gum? Like the pink golf ball size individually wrapped stuff? It has been a long time since I had that.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Rocky said:
Although it's a bit cooler these days, chocolates are difficult to keep from melting in this climate.

Whaaaat! you're a traitor!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Missleading information!

Rocky, Rocky...dear..
Chocolate is not meant to be stored, it is meant to be eaten.
And delivered by nice friends, living in the right country for this honorable cause.

The DR1 group "Friends of Chocolate" ( not to be mixed with the name of the animation team at the Hiltons, that is "chocolate friends" ) likes the chocolate that for instance, Larry used to bring, before he moved here ( why was that necessary?? ), or Jackquontee and some other trustful sources, whom we prefer not make official and keep to ourselves.

Bubble gum? Rocky, we need to have a talk you and I...
This is missleading information!:classic:

Last edited:

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
carina said:
or Jackquontee and some other trustful sources, whom we prefer not make official and keep to ourselves.

Oh, sure, but you'll mention my name. And, besides, didn't you say that it was necessary to bring fresh cocolate from the states because it helped keep somebody's poor, dying mother alive?

Sorry to say, but you'll be going through withdrawals on this next trip. I have some things I have to bring down for the house. Oh well.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
carina said:
Rocky, Rocky...dear..

Bubble gum? Rocky, we need to have a talk you and I...
This is missleading information!:classic:

That was the best laugh I had in awhile. Glad no one saw me looking at a monitor and laughing my butt off.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Chocolate supply arriving late Aprilfrom Canada- will be having a Swiss, Belgian chocolate party - dark and milk for my many DR1 friends. I put cooler packs in my luggage for transporting.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Charlielyn said:
Chocolate supply arriving late Aprilfrom Canada- will be having a Swiss, Belgian chocolate party - dark and milk for my many DR1 friends. I put cooler packs in my luggage for transporting.

You?re so sweet :classic:
Please bring some bubble gums for Rocky as well :tired:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
bigbird said:
Sounds like the 101st Airborne Division getting ready to invade Normandy. Maybe you should pack silk stockings also.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Charlielyn said:

Any room for bubblely Areo in there? :nervous:

karibbeankidd

Oct 5, 2005
While I agree that chocolate from europe may be considered the best - give me a fresh Hersheys Bar anytime mon - something about the way it almost melts in your mouth.

And if a candy bar is your choice -
Three Musketeers gotta be #1 - nothing better than a chilled one on a hot day at the beach in Cabarete, and chase it down with a cold shot of
Patron XO - for that full blast effect.

Only way it could get better would be if a couple cuties were to stroll up with a cooler full.

Yep - thats a good day at the beach !!:pirate:

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
stiggybaby said:
My friend Manuel from Santiago said that his dad used to process cacao, which now is very valuable to health-fooders:
http://www.rawfood.com/cgi-bin/order/index.cgi?id=950725638169&d=single&item_id=0878&m=home

you really have to read the info to the above link, anyway, cacao should be easy to come by.

if you are from the USA, then you may know whole foods:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/specialty/choc_guide.html

they sell gift boxes of dominican chocolates (70% cacao).

Can this be bought in the DR as well? Does anyone know whether you can you buy anything made from organic Dominican cocoa in Santo Domingo?