Maps, GPS, road signs, and exploring the DR

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
For those interested in exploring the DR but have found map, road signs, and a lack of speaking Spanish a barrier I have found getting a GPS with tracking capabilites (leaves an electronic trail of bread crumbs to follow to get back home) really helpful. You can pretty much go anywhere (your car can handle) and feel comfortable you can always get back.

Don't even ask about getting electronic maps to load in your GPS, none of the manufacturers have much to offer. I do have waypoints and tracks that most GPS's can upload so you can follow those. I have also been able to program a freeware program that displays these tracks on a reasonably good digital map I have of the DR for those who might be interested.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Budson said:
Don't even ask about getting electronic maps to load in your GPS, none of the manufacturers have much to offer.

I'm gonna disagree with you a little bit. I was actually surprised by the detail my GPS showed me while travelling in the DR. Many small locations in the campo were shown on my screen. Spots such as Guiza, Las Charcas de Maria Nova, Pedro Corto and others.

But I would be interested in the freeware program you refer to. Always looking to improve, you know. Please shoot me a PM or email with details.

Thanks,:classic:

Swede

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Here is the link to the freeware:

http://www.gpstm.com/

The name of the program is GPS TrackMaker and is a great program for those who are into GPS's and Maps (I expect, a small, ecclectic group)

The map that I made of the DR with all the routes that this program uses turns out to be quite large (about 65MB's) so I can't email it to those interested. I will try to figure out where I can post it for downloads (might be an overnight download). I will also make a streamline version I can email.

What is neat about this program is that you can hook a laptop to your GPS and it will give you realtime navigation as you are driving around.

btw: I have no financial interest in the program. Its free anyway. Just a GPS enthusiast.