K1 Visa

cannon79

Jan 11, 2006
Hello all,
any info would be appreciated....Im in the US and He, my fiance is in Dominican Republic.
I just filed my I-129f Fiance visa request. This was approved and I was just notified that my fiance will be recieving a packet to file for the K1-Visa.
this is new to me and finding info is getting confusing. Does anyone know the process from here. How long once he files this before we get an apt with the embassy or is there any cost to this for his Visa forms. Im trying to see what to expect and what we can do to prevent any delays that may come up.

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Not sure if this helps or not, but I am a US citizen and I filed for my wife's visa last January (K1 and K3). The K1 is also applicable for spouses. Our K1 papers got to the Embassy in July and we are 14,000 something on the waiting list. The K3 papers (regular visa) got to the embassy in October, and we are 17,000 something on the waiting list. The Embassy only sees 2,000 people a month. Meanwhile my friends who got married in India last year already have their wives here. Does anyone here have any idea as to what I can do or whom I can contact to expedite this process? I have already spoken to my Congressman.

Thanks in advance,
Sonny.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
sonny said:
Not sure if this helps or not, but I am a US citizen and I filed for my wife's visa last January (K1 and K3). The K1 is also applicable for spouses. Our K1 papers got to the Embassy in July and we are 14,000 something on the waiting list. The K3 papers (regular visa) got to the embassy in October, and we are 17,000 something on the waiting list. The Embassy only sees 2,000 people a month. Meanwhile my friends who got married in India last year already have their wives here. Does anyone here have any idea as to what I can do or whom I can contact to expedite this process? I have already spoken to my Congressman.

Thanks in advance,
Sonny.

K1 is no longer the way to go. As for seeing 2,000 people a month, that's during a good month. I suggest a plan B.
Good Luck.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
rellosk said:
What exactly is your suggestion?
Getting married in the DR I guess. Things turned 180 degrees. Before it was faster with a K1 now it would appear that applying for spouse is faster. Perhaps getting a visitor's visa and getting married in the US. Good luck is all can I say.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
sonny said:

Thanks in advance,
Sonny.

Sonny,

You are confused. You filed an I-130 petition for you spouse and then filed a K3 to get her here sooner. Your K3 is ahead of the I-130 on the waiting list and this is a good thing. When you have you interview in about 12 months, they will in all likelyhood make your K3 interview into a CR-1 interview. This is a very good thing. It means that upon entering the USA, your spouse will receive her green card right away and you will not have to adjust status or apply for advanced parole so she can travel.

Yes, people from other countries are getting here much faster because the DR is a very high fraud country. I know you are looking for the magic bullet, but trust me.......there is no way to make it happen sooner. Stop on over at our Dominican immigration forum and ask some questions. We have many knowledgeable people there who can answer your questions.

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
rellosk said:
Your confusion is why I always advise people to use a lawyer. While it is not necessary, it sure makes the process easier.

That said, here are two sites where you can get some answers. The first is a Yahoo user group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K-1visa_DR/messages?yguid=75856850

and the other is a relatively new site http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com/

Good luck and keep us informed of the progress.

While it may seem like a lawyer might be able to speed up your case, unless you don't want to fill out the paperwork or your case is unusual in some way, you will be better off doing it yourself or using an agency that assists people in the process. There has been so many people on my forum that have actually had an attorney make their wait LONGER because they didn't know what they were doing.

Yes we are relatively new, we started in July last year, but we laready have 96 members, and over 7,000 posts of useful information, and some not so useful, but fun.;)

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
twincactus said:
While it may seem like a lawyer might be able to speed up your case, unless you don't want to fill out the paperwork or your case is unusual in some way, you will be better off doing it yourself or using an agency that assists people in the process. There has been so many people on my forum that have actually had an attorney make their wait LONGER because they didn't know what they were doing.
Tim, you misread my post. I never said a lawyer will make the process faster, I said it will make it easier.

You did bring up a good point, if you are going to use a lawyer, choose one that comes well recommended. There are plenty of lawyers and agencies that make false claims.

Sep 19, 2005
I wonder if it is actually faster to become a citizen of another country then apply for a visa to america frim THAT other country!!!!!!!!!!

if the wait is that long then they dont have enough resources to do the job

bob

gringo3999

Feb 4, 2006
k-1 visa

Can anyone help me about a k-1 visa? The waiting list is 11 months at the consulate in Santa Domingo!! And of course I have the slowest service center!! Nebraska. Has anyone been through this process in Santa Domingo? Gringo9888@yahoo.com

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
I wonder if it is actually faster to become a citizen of another country then apply for a visa to america frim THAT other country!!!!!!!!!!

if the wait is that long then they dont have enough resources to do the job

bob

You're funny Bob, what country would you suggest?

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
twincactus said:
The sad part is Bob might actually be right. We have been waiting since October of 2004.

-Tim
--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com
http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com

on a K1 visa? that's weird b/c i have seen cases on US Consulate website
that the consulate got the papers on july 2005 and the appt was set
for march '06. Sometimes i think it depends on each individual case.

Good luck in your case.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
My K-1 case arrived in Feb2005 and I have my appointment in Mar2006.

I mailed the original application packet to the Texas service center, which was rerouted to California in Dec2004.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
Need more details on this one......

VirginiaGomes said:
Just applied for the k-1 (fiance's visa) in December 2005 and they already went last week to the appoinment (January'06 ) and she got the visa and is coming this weekend.
Any explanation on why this may had happened this fast?
He is a US born and she is dominican and had a tourist visa.

I don't think so. Unless they had some special inside connection but most of these stories I hear turn out to be false. She probably came here on the tourist visa she already had.

Anyway, our case is a bit longer because we are CR-1 since we are already married.

-Tim
--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com
http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com