canoe

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Go Kayak

Without knowing your needs/intents, I'd try and sway you to a larger (ocean) kayak.

None on the island last time I checked, the ones I've used have been brought over from PR. And for that matter, I've never seen (nor looked for) canoes anywhere.

There might be a used kayak for sale in the capital. I could do a little leg work for you if you're interested.

Where do you think you are, Maine?

Luperonsailor

May 1, 2005
I know better than Maine. I saw an aluminum canoe at a house in Miamon. The dominican that was there told me KM 11 on the Autopista Duarte going into the capital. It was an american aluminun 14 feet long. I want one for the lake (pressa) near miamon. Kayak won't work for me. I need to carry camping gear and fishing pole.

Luperonsailor

May 1, 2005
If I could find a store in SD or Sto that sales camping gear. They might be able to steer me toward a canoe. I would like to get a pop-up tent and some other equipment for camping. I have been to KM11 in SD. they build large tourist boats for the tour companies and have no idea what a canoe (canao) is.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Sports store

Luperonsailor said:
If I could find a store in SD or Sto that sales camping gear. They might be able to steer me toward a canoe. I would like to get a pop-up tent and some other equipment for camping. I have been to KM11 in SD. they build large tourist boats for the tour companies and have no idea what a canoe (canao) is.

There is a store on El Conde SD colonial zone that has tents, etc. close to the corner on elconde and duarte

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a boat place on Los Proceres, (Lincoln after crossing Kennedy, opposite the Diamond Mall) but I haven't looked closely enough to notice whether they sell canoes.

Canoe is 'canoa' in Spanish.

pescador

Apr 19, 2004
When do you need it by? ?Does it have to be alluminum?
Also, you might reconsider an ocean kayak, You can pack camping equipment in them, if you camp light. Typically they have 2 storage areas, one front and one rear, plus bungees for strapping drybags on the deck. This could be much more flexible for you since you're on an island and especially since you fish!! I'm a kayak fisherman myself, recently relocated away from the Gulf though :( The DR is an excellent place for kayak fishing around the reefs. Go to www.texaskayakfisherman.com. for tips etc. If you turn towards a kayak, you have to decide between "sit on top" or "sit in side". For fishing, sit on top may be best, but thats arguable.
Think about it.
Keep in touch

Luperonsailor

May 1, 2005
Thanks for the info everyone. I need the thing when I find it. I am teetering on maybe building one of the 6 hur designs. But I would rather find one and just by it. PESCADOR I will consider your suggestion. I am going to be fishing on a lake. The pressa just east of Bonao. I am limited to about 12 feet in length since I am driving a little Daihatsu Hijet. I would like to have the choice of day or overnight canoeing. Where can I see or buy kayaks.

pescador

Apr 19, 2004
12 foot ha?
Thats pretty short for a canoe. I have a 12 foot sit on top kayak that works great for me and has enough room for an overnight trip.
Its a Tarpon120 by Wilderness Systems. Weighs 60 pounds. Has a sealed hatch up front and open area in back (where I keep the ice box and tackel. Get dry bags and you can put more things in the back cargo area and not worry about having wet things (not a bad idea to have everything in dry bags even in a canoe). Also has a built in back rest for the seat which really saves the back. They also have a 10 foot, the Tarpon100 at 50 pounds, I have one of those also...actually its my fiance's. But I've used it and works out good too. Its a lot easier to carry around and store. It could still carry enough stuff for an overnighter if you pack it right and go light. If you used to be a back pack camper, you can surely fit anything in the kayak that you used to cram in a backpack, that's for sure.
I used to have a home built canoe. But now prefer the kayak. Kayak is better to control in the wind also. And can handle some really rough seas.

As for buying kayaks in the DR, I did see one store that had them on thier web site. I don't remember the name but remember it beeing a good drive south out of Santo Dom., maybe 1-2 hours drive if I remember right. Was a boat supply store. (never been there, just the website).
I'm not familuar with the canoe you are thinking about building. ?Is it a strip built? You have to consider the availability of decent wood in the DR.
Let me see what I can do for you on this end. Give me a couple days.

?So tell me, what kind of fish do they have in that lake? ?Ever fish it before? ?got fotoS? :D

OH! What kind of storage do you have available for a canoe or kayak? ?you live in a house, or appartment?
Maybe I'm pushing you towards a kayak more because I want a kayak fishing bud in the DR :p hahaha
I've done some fishing off the rocks there and standing on the reefs and got some nice fish and saw more that I wish I could have got. I wish I had a kayak then!! My fiance lives in SD and I'm getting ready to quit this job and go there. Imigration is moving way to slow to wait her out here (in the US)

Luperonsailor

May 1, 2005
Did you get my IM? there is a boat store in Boca Chica, Maybe Captain Bob's. storage noproblem, house, big large mouth bass, carp, talapia, perch.