Message Board Harassment

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you send me a brand new crispy $100 bill, I will openly, in front of thousands of witnesses, promise to never sue you for any of your snide remarks.
I suggest all other DR1 members make you the same offer.
Regards, Marco.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Kinda makes one wonder why we still live in the USA! Somenting could only happen here, Does the DR have room for me?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
To protect myself from any unwarranted litigation, my new forum name will be &^$^%#^&$

Your new name it too difficult to pronounce. I think I'll sue you. I have developed a speech impediment trying to pronounce it.

Larry

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
this is scandalous

Scandall said:
http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0112/chatroom_suit_ctv.html

I just wated to say that I am sorry if I have offended anyone with my trademark sarcasm, snide remarks and the like. Now please drop the law suit.

Watch out AZB, CC etc.!

Scandall

You don't know the meaning of the word 'snide'. It implies malicious intent. nope. Sarcastic, uh huh. Irony to the artform of satire. In spades. Malicious, no.

next

hee hee

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
dawnwil said:
You don't know the meaning of the word 'snide'. It implies malicious intent. nope. Sarcastic, uh huh. Irony to the artform of satire. In spades. Malicious, no.

next

hee hee
I was just trying to make our case stronger.
Dontcha want 100 bucks?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yeah, thats a god idea, now who called me a camel jocky oh yeah, watch out scott, you called me camel dunk. Now your finca is mine baby.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If you read the story carefully there was more going on than just name calling in a chat room.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Not sure about hard facts, but lots of hearsay anyhoo. The case doesn't have a prayer.

Can we get back to the insults and sarcasm now?

Thanks. Relying on you, Scandall baby. Come on, take a shot.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
dawnwil said:
The case doesn't have a prayer.
It dosen't Dawn? You'd be surprised. Do you have any idea what kind of cases some people sue for and win?

I skimmed the article but saw that the complaintant is claiming that the person/people drove to his house and took a picture of it and then posted it on the web among other things. If he can prove that such things happened AND prove that he had developed psychological/medical conditions as a result (not hard to do) he has a slam dunk case.

Also, if he is suing AOL, he does not need to come up with much. Juries are extremely sympathetic to people who are smart enough to sue huge corporations. They (the jurors) assume the corporations wont miss a little money. Remember the woman who sued McDonalds because a cup of coffe she bought there burned her? How much did she get? I am using a poor example but you get the idea.

All he needs is a good lawyer and they would be running over each other to represent him if they think there might be publicity involved. It doesnt matter if Aol did anything wrong, a good lawyer will find an angle and pursue/exploit it. After all, he gets 1/3 of the settlement and possibly some exposure in the process.

Larry

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
dawnwil said:
Not sure about hard facts, but lots of hearsay anyhoo. The case doesn't have a prayer.

Can we get back to the insults and sarcasm now?

Thanks. Relying on you, Scandall baby. Come on, take a shot.

Yeah, like a Newfie would know anything about the US legal system. God Save the Queen, Dawnwil.

How was that? It just doesn't feel as good for me when it's forced. Sorry.

:)

Scandall

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Scandall

damn. Thanks for trying, though.

Let me just say that Americans know less about the Canadian judicial system than vice versa. heheh I went through a phase of Court TV watching, you know.

Larry... yeah, I knew about the hot coffee case.

Flawed lawsuit aside (from details of the article), given the adversarial nature of the internet, I cannot imagine a judge anywhere willing to open that can of worms. Setting precedent, and all that jazz. Or, oops, am I wrong about precedent and common law in the US? Can't remember exactly.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
If you read the story carefully there was more going on than just name calling in a chat room.

Yep. It is a little more than just hurt feelings involved here.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
rellosk said:

I can't remember the term for stories that circulate and are eventually accepted as fact... folk myth? Popular myth? Something like that. Like that one about the guy who visits Las Vegas (or name-the-city) and picks up a girl and after a great night of sex the next morning she's gone with only the writing in red lipstick on the mirror: Welcome to the World of Aids. I had read an article about this phenomenom, with exactly the above example, and lo and behold, the people boarding my horses told me about a fireman somewhere in the province (the husband was a fireman) who scooted down to Las Vegas and had the exact events happen to him. They told this story as the gospel truth.

Not exactly the same, but that McDonald's case comes up a lot. Interesting to read the facts Rellosk.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
What AOL should do

The guy suing leads a chatroom called "Romance & the Older Man".

This is a no-brainer. They need only buy him a trip to the DR and all his emotional disturbances and feelings of inadequacy will disappear.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
rellosk said:

That was interesting rellosk, thank you. I didn't know the facts surrounding the case except that the woman had been awarded a large sum of money. That was the purpose mentioning it. It is an example of how juries tend to award bigger settlements when it is a big corporation that has been sued.

Dawn, I agree with your comment that the chat room case could potentially open a Pandoras box. I had not considered that.

Larry