HB's three rules

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
With respect to Hillbilly's three rules, and taking into consideration that I am a male who married a Dominican female, rather than the other way round as implied by the wording of the rules, I have to say that while the rules ostensibly make sense, given the amount of tigueraje here and the numbers of buscavidas you are likely to meet, I dont think they will apply to the majority of cases, simply because the majority of Dominicans you might meet will not have a travel visa or a bank account or an equivalent education. That is just wishful thinking, and you may well discount a perfectly viable relationship if you stick to such rules without a generous amount of reflection on your particular situation. My wife certainly met none of these qualifications, and as my work often caused me to drift among the lower elements of Dominican society, I was of course well aware of the potential problems of such an unequal relationship.

But there are other guidelines as well. Family for example. Here --at least if you live here, rather than just marry someone from here -- you are not marrying an individual, you are marrying a family unit, usually quite an extensive family unit, and your life will be determined to some extent by interaction with all those people as well as your spouse. So you have to ask yourself -- what sort of family is it? are they slothful, sit around haciendo esquina, tomando ron, doing nothing, or do they have an ordered household, discipline, work, and so on? Do they care for one another genuinely? Is the family well bonded? These sorts of clues will go a long way toward helping you decide if in fact the person you are hooking up with is worth a long term commitment. I knew once I met my mother in law, and brothers and sisters in law, that I would be tied to a very good bunch of people. And in fact over the years they have helped me far more than I have been a help to them.

There is the individual's character as well. My wife, for example, is poorly educated, but very intelligent; poor in material things, but rich in spirit; without resources, but gifted in business matters and a whizz at saving money, making a buck, getting the best deal, and so on. She has innate good taste, despite never having had the advantage of growing up in tasteful surroundings. Well, those qualities more than make up for what she doesnt have, and was deprived of having simply by an accident of birth.

Linguistic and cultural differences complicate these decisions, but in the end we are still talking about criteria that dont really change across borders though they may be inflected somewhat by the location. I wouldnt choose my partner in my native country for their wallet, so why should I do so here? However, I would certainly take the consequences of an unequal economic relationship into consideration. Same with education. For some people, the requirement that their partner have an equivalent education is axiomatic. Either here or back "home" that was never the case for me, so long as native intelligence was present. And I think it is unreasonable to expect that your partner here have an equivalent education. Very few Dominicans do. But do they show an interest in new things, in learning, in the so called finer things in life? If so, you probably have a good partner there, one that will enjoy learning about life at your side.

Well, I dont mean to impugn these rules, obviously offered to everyone in good spirit, in order to help them avoid what could be a terrible mistake. But they do seem a bit unrealistic and strict. It is undoubtedly a sticky problem, and I imagine it is even harder for foreign women than for foreign men to suss it all out. I wish you luck.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Interesting post and thank you for sharing it with us! :)

The only long-distance relationship I had was with an Italian girl (she was my friend's sister). I took the time to get to know her and her friends (I already knew her family because she was my friend's sister).

But I realise that some people (who have lovers in the DR) tend to rush the relationship. I think it is important to take one's time to get to know his/her family, friends, etc.

Just my 2 cents. :classic:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Wow, something intelligent for once!!!

Thank you for a very well written post with incredibly smart pointers...

I agree with you...not only in the DR, when you get married anywhere, usually you marry the whole family, unless the person doesn't get along with them...and that should be a flag to consider looking into...

As far as my situation is concerned, my fiance comes from a well educated family, where everyone has their chores and duties around the house well defined. My mother in law works in a clinic from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mon-Sat, and while she takes care of her sister's kids (the mother is in Spain), aunt Ana comes to the house to cook and clean everyday, including Saturdays...

Grandma shares her time with her kids between PA and DR...the little lady loves to travel...(82 years old)!

Uncle Felix has family in Nagua but works in Sto. Dgo. so he goes to see them on the weekends...

Tony has a degree in Marketing, and works from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., coming home for lunch at 12 everyday...

The kids go to school and afterwards each one has a chore to do around the house...

Those were things I really considered before really making a commitment, following HB's golden rules, but also my instincts...

There are good people around still in DR, not everyone you meet, even if they are from a poor family, is out to get you...

MQ

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Let's have an intelligent discussion without the personal attacks please and thank you.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
awww shucks, Anna, where did AZB go? I was practising sarcasm on him. Wasn't snide, though.

Sincerely,
dawnwil

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
anna is in bad mood. She won't let anyone play and have fun. maybe its time to give her my monthly call and cheer her up.
Come on guys, let the insults fly.
AZB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yeah I'm mad coz today is the 12th and you still haven't called to wish me a Happy New Year:lick:

Now this is a discusion on HB's golden rules not MQ .;)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
A proposed amendment...

I have a proposed amendment to the sacred rules of HB.

Instead of already having to be in possession of a Visa. You might want to give equal consideration to a person who has left the island and visited the first world. Here's why:

I had to evaluate a young woman (about 22) for an advanced class. During the course of our conversation I learned that while she had never been to the States she had been through France, Italy and Spain. She then told me in great detail how much she loved seeing the Renaissance era frescoes in the Vatican. And how happy she was to spend two full days in the Louvre.

I am sure there are not many like her. But I am sure everyone here would quickly grant her dispensation from HB's rules if they had the chance to date her. She was gorgeous too.

Just a thought.

Scandall

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Why God gave two ear's and one mouth

Advice.... may not pertain to all....BUTT it's a hell of a good guideline coming from someone that's been there so long for someone who needs it:eek: :eek: :eek:

It never hurts to listen.;)

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Thanks for the excellent post macocael!

Your insightful points seem so simple, logical, and common sense but given the accolades these "Golden Rules" have received here, it would seem that common sense is often not so common.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Scandall said:
I have a proposed amendment to the sacred rules of HB.
Instead of already having to be in possession of a Visa. You might want to give equal consideration to a person who has left the island and visited the first world.
Numerous wonderful Dominicans would not meet this qualification either.

I think the point of macocael's excellent post is that there are far more important things to consider beyond visas, cash, trips, etc. ....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks, the Three Golden Rules are not written in stone.

What the OP pointed out is quite true. He found someone with true values beyond the itch to get away from the Dr.

But try to get a starry-eyed young thing, bewitched by a guy with a silver tongue ( and oftentimes something else :p) who has swept her off her feet, and who is not capable of any straight thinking, to analyze the family situation, toknow how to understand family ties...

I tried to keep it as simple as possible--BTW-> VISA to any European country counts, too, unless it is a woman that was "working" over there....And none of them even know what the Louvre is..."maybe a soap??"

HB :D:D:D

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
I forgot to comment on the HB's 3 Golden Rules yesterday.

Isn't there a saying about 'the exception proving the rule'?

It's excellent to hear from someone who intelligently proves the exception. Does not disprove Hillbilly's rules in the least, which of course was not the OP's intent. His words will be understood and appreciated by those with half a brain, and perhaps taken into consideration by same. Unfortunately, they will be another straw to grasp by those incapable of sound reasoning.

Malibook-- is that what you meant? That the accolades are given to the Golden Rules because common sense is not quite so common? Agreed. ;)

I disagree with the OP in that the 'majority' of cases fit his model.

dawnwil

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
oops

malibook, I misread your post initially, thought you were saying the opposite. I was teasing nada.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
dawnwil said:
malibook, I misread your post initially, thought you were saying the opposite. I was teasing nada.
I was just teasing those who keep praising these "Golden Rules".
Obviously everybody is free to be as picky and demanding as they want.
Just like some people have qualifying physical attributes that must be met.
Good for them.
I am still waiting for my beautiful, young, rich princess to sweep me off my feet.

My point is that I feel that a list of qualifications, that are so difficult to obtain that they automatically disqualify a huge portion of the population, is unreasonable.

Bob pretty much summed up my feelings on this matter.
laurapasinifan said:
hillbillys rules are cute and may apply to most RESORT workers....they are to be taken lightly when outside that enviroment I think. It is true that there are plenty of men and women that would LOVE to get the opportuntity to hook up with someone that has a way out of their poverty for them. I met a girl from a small town through friends and she didnt and still doesnt meet ANY of hillbillys rules!!!!!!!!!!! maybe I was lucky, maybe my girlfriend is totally unsterotypical...it doesnt matter.....she is totally affraid of moving to america, she loves her life and her family where she is now. She would love for me to move to the DR. How many young women can fit hillbillys rules anyway?.......THIS is the DR!!!! most young women would never get a visa unless someone offered to marry them. America doesnt want young women coming from the DR to america!.....so getting a visa is like a needle in ahystack...and how do you amass a bank account in a country that pays the way the DR does. And especially how they treat women in the workforce!!!!!!!!!!!like a peice of meat for the bosses pleasure hopefully. Four years of college is possible....but only if the family was middle income or higher..........doesnt anyone think it is possible to find a good woman from a family that didnt make it into the middle income brackets?...sure it is......not EVERY 18-20 year old woman in the DR that didnt go to college is a HOOKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the country is 95% catholic.....dont you think that has SOME miniscule effect on their thought process?????????

The DR isnt this little snapshot of Puerto platta or Sosua, or Boca Chica

it is way more......bob
Malibook said:
If visas are so difficult to obtain, wouldn't that make Hillbilly's requirement of having one unreasonable?

Setting the materialistic bar so high would exclude the vast majority of wonderful human beings who happened to have been born in the Dominican Republic.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
dawnwil said:
I disagree with the OP in that the 'majority' of cases fit his model.
I don't believe he made this claim.
Seems to me that his point is that the majority of Dominicans do not meet Hillbilly's rules.
Regardless of the actual statistics, macoael probably did not find a needle in the haystack and such wonderful people are not such a rare exception to these "Golden Rules".