Dominicans in Louisiana?

Kidd Creole

Nov 29, 2005
What is the History of Dominicans in Louisiana? I have to do a report on the demographics of Louisiana, I noticed there was a good population of Dominicans, & cubans there. So does anyone know the History of the immigration there?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It has to do with the shipping lines that ran between Puerto Plata and Louisiana. Lots of the wood used to build old New Orleans came from the DR. And other construction materials used in Puerto Plata came from New Orleans.

Do research, there should be a few books, articles on it.

Mercy

Feb 18, 2002
Dominicans in Louisiana

I do not know the history of the immigration here, but as a dominican in Louisiana I can tell you, at least in the Baton Rouge area there are not too many dominicans. I heard there was a good group of dominicans in New Orleans, but after the mess with Hurricane Katrina I have no idea where they are now.
Also, the few dominicans I know here are very well educated people that either came to study here at LSU or came here as proffessionals to polish their English. Every dominican I know here speaks fluent English. To my knowledge, there is no life in Louisiana without English.
Hopefully someone else will pitch in a better post.
Good luck in your report.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I am currently working in the south helping with the post-katrina recovery process. I have had the fortunate experience of coming across some Dominicans in the N.O. area. To assist you in your paper writing process I would suggest you take Dolores' advice. I agree with Dolores and can support what she has written. Many still work in the shipping industry, making boats. I have met a few here.

However, post-Katrina, I estimate, that the 4-5000 Dominicans has dwindled to 1000-1500. Some may come back, but it will be a long while before things are back to normal. Jobs are being created left and right so this may help in the re-immigration to LA.

I understand that many Dominicans lived in West Bank which is still pretty much in tact and not as affected as other parts of NO like the 9th Ward. This also may help in restoring the faith and letting go of the fear.

If you do a search in the archives you should be able to come across an organization called Dominicans in Louisiana. The president has evacuated. But there may be other ways to get a hold of folk from the organization.

Best of luck.

Kidd Creole

Nov 29, 2005
I got a pretty good Grade on my Report :classic: So would you consider those who Migrated from Santo Domingo to Louisiana before the Creation of the Dominican Republic, Dominican?

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Congratulations on the good grade. Well I'll answer your question with two questions:

Do you consider the wealthy free Blacks that moved to Samana from Philadelphia in the 19th Century? African-Americans or Dominicans?

What do you call the first people of color to arrive in Chicago, IL in the 19th century, who happen to come from the Dominican Republic? African-Americans or Dominicans?

How you answer this will pigeon hole you into taking a side of thinking... LOL

On my end, I find the self-perception that many Dominicans have quite ironic and right down hilarious.

Again, congrats. Keep up the good work.

D
Kidd Creole said:
I got a pretty good Grade on my Report :classic: So would you consider those who Migrated from Santo Domingo to Louisiana before the Creation of the Dominican Republic, Dominican?

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
The most demographically important "pre-modern" migration from the Island is not Dominican and, to be precise, not properly Haitian either; it was St. Dominguean, a distinct society to that of the Haiti we know. Several thousand migrants -free and slave, of all 'colors' and classes- went to Louisiana in the late 18th and early 19th century from the late colonial period of St. Domingue (today's Haiti).

Times of revolution in Paris, the rise of Napoleon, but also of the formidable Toussaint Louverture in St. Domingue.

Many plantation owners, servants, administrators, doctors, bureucrats, farmers, slaves, soldiers, architechts, merchants, skilled workers, etc.. left SD for LA during the period encapsulated within 1793-1804. The actual DR did not exist then. New Orleans actually has libraries with records of these waves of newcomers from those 'ungovernable' territories. New Orleans has a very rich and diverse history.

great questions!!!

- Tordok

deelt said:
Congratulations on the good grade. Well I'll answer your question with two questions:

Do you consider the wealthy free Blacks that moved to Samana from Philadelphia in the 19th Century? African-Americans or Dominicans?

What do you call the first people of color to arrive in Chicago, IL in the 19th century, who happen to come from the Dominican Republic? African-Americans or Dominicans?

How you answer this will pigeon hole you into taking a side of thinking... LOL

On my end, I find the self-perception that many Dominicans have quite ironic and right down hilarious.

Again, congrats. Keep up the good work.

D

Papo718

Dec 12, 2005
The voodoo that the creoles practice in new orleans today was brought there by the 10,000 refugees that went there in 1803 from haiti. i was'nt going to answer but i could'nt hold it because it's amazing how history say's one thing and is supported by fact then some people just make up there own beliefs.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
You keep me honest. Thanks! Yes, the historical context of these migratory patterns can't be understated.
:)

Tordok said:
The most demographically important "pre-modern" migration from the Island is not Dominican and, to be precise, not properly Haitian either; it was St. Dominguean, a distinct society to that of the Haiti we know. Several thousand migrants -free and slave, of all 'colors' and classes- went to Louisiana in the late 18th and early 19th century from the late colonial period of St. Domingue (today's Haiti).

Times of revolution in Paris, the rise of Napoleon, but also of the formidable Toussaint Louverture in St. Domingue.

Many plantation owners, servants, administrators, doctors, bureucrats, farmers, slaves, soldiers, architechts, merchants, skilled workers, etc.. left SD for LA during the period encapsulated within 1793-1804. The actual DR did not exist then. New Orleans actually has libraries with records of these waves of newcomers from those 'ungovernable' territories. New Orleans has a very rich and diverse history.

great questions!!!

- Tordok

johny2001

May 24, 2006
Being a native of NO, I knew people from all over the Americas. I knew a few Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, El Salvadorans, a few Peruvians and Guatemalans and some Costa Ricans for good measure.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I am a Dominican American that lives in New Orleans. My parents moved here before I was born, and I was born in new Orleans. I know many latinos in the area, but not many Dominicans. If you are a Dominican in New Orleans, please PM me. I would love to meet you.