Has anyone heard?

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Has anyone heard about an American and a Dominican being killed last night/early this morning in Puerto Plata? What are the details?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Apparently, an Austrian resident, with a legal 9 mm weapon, surprised a well known thief in his house at night and, instead of blowing him away in the instant, he tried to hold him for the cops. The guy reacted and in the struggle, both men ended up getting shot, and both died of their wounds while being treated at the public hospital in POP.
Sad.

HB :(:( :ermm:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
HOWMAR said:
He certainly taught him a lesson by having a gun in the house.:rambo: :ermm:

Uh oh, Howmar. You're not one of those who are against a person's right to defend themself, their family and their property? Are you?

Scandall

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Scandall said:
Uh oh, Howmar. You're not one of those who are against a person's right to defend themself, their family and their property? Are you?

Scandall
Who me? They usually say it's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people. Hmm, if these two people didn't have a gun, I guess they would have had to strangle each other.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
HOWMAR said:
Who me? They usually say it's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people. Hmm, if these two people didn't have a gun, I guess they would have had to strangle each other.

Gun control is hitting your target.

Yee ha! :)

Scandall

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Scandall said:
You're not one of those who are against a person's right to defend themself, their family and their property? Are you?
I don't know of anyone that is against a person's right to defend himself. What I'm against is giving a gun to any idiot that feels owning a gun will automatically protect them and their family. Without proper training (and I don't mean a one hour course), you might as well be giving a lit match to a monkey in a dynamite factory. There are way to many preventable deaths due to mishandling of firearms, both in the US and the DR.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
This is a perfect example of how dangerous it is to have a gun in the house.

In the United States, I feel the only people who should have guns are law enforcement. Here in the DR, I can understand a civilain having one for protection. HOWEVER, if you are going to have one, you better make sure you know what you are doing and understand and respect the responsibility involved with it. Also, you better make sure that if the situation arises where you might have to use it (such as in this story) that you USE IT and have no qualms about doing so. Guns are not to be kept in the house to detain a burglar, they are to be kept in the house to shoot...and kill him.

I have an idea what I am talking about. In the United States I had a job where I was required to carry a gun for 10 yrs. If you are going to own a gun, you BETTER understand the responsibility involved.

My 2 cents

Larry

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Larry said:

In the United States, I feel the only people who should have guns are law enforcement. Here in the DR, I can understand a civilain having one for protection. HOWEVER, if you are going to have one, you better make sure you know what you are doing and understand and respect the responsibility involved with it. Also, you better make sure that if the situation arises where you might have to use it (such as in this story) that you USE IT and have no qualms about doing so. Guns are not to be kept in the house to detain a burglar, they are to be kept in the house to shoot...and kill him.

I have an idea what I am talking about. In the United States I had a job where I was required to carry a gun for 10 yrs. If you are going to own a gun, you BETTER understand the responsibility involved.

My 2 cents

Larry

I agree with Rellosk about having strict standards. Because of my background and training (9mm up through 155mm Howitzers) it drives me nuts when I see cops...COPS!...walking around like John Wayne with the pistols in their waistbands.....guns are not toys...

As for Larry...he and I have already had this discussion and it will go nowhere so I will not bore him and the rest of you by arguing....suffice it to say that I am glad the Second Amendment exists in the US...

:)

Scandall

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Larry said:

My 2 cents

Larry
Not to mention that the most common recipient of a round from household firearm is the spouse in a domestic dispute. The next most common is a child. Followed by an intruder.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Having a gun is one thing but being capable off killing a person is another matter. Only very few are capable off killing (Lucky for us). During the American civil war there were soldiers that stood face to face to the enemy who were shooting at them that loaded their gun 27 times aimed and didn't shoot towards thier enemy who was only a few metres away. If my memory is correct only 3 percent off trained soldiers kill in action.

Greetings

Johan

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
HOWMAR said:
Not to mention that the most common recipient of a round from household firearm is the spouse in a domestic dispute. The next most common is a child. Followed by an intruder.

Hmmm. Yes. But let's put it in perspective. And this comes from a book I just finished...Freakonomics. Interesting read.

Imagine you are a parent and your child has two options on a Saturday afternoon. 1) Visit a friend's house where there is a swimming pool or 2) Visit a friend's house where you know there is a gun in the house.

Most parents would choose the pool. But statistically the child is 100 times more likely to be involved in a serious accident there than the house with the gun. But pool accidents are not very sexy on the evening news.

Obviously, there are other factors that come into play. But I would highly recommend the book if anyoine is interested in economics, statistics etc.

Disagree if you wish.

Scandall

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Scandall said:
Hmmm. Yes. But let's put it in perspective. And this comes from a book I just finished...Freakonomics. Interesting read.

Imagine you are a parent and your child has two options on a Saturday afternoon. 1) Visit a friend's house where there is a swimming pool or 2) Visit a friend's house where you know there is a gun in the house.

Most parents would choose the pool. But statistically the child is 100 times more likely to be involved in a serious accident there than the house with the gun. But pool accidents are not very sexy on the evening news.

Obviously, there are other factors that come into play. But I would highly recommend the book if anyoine is interested in economics, statistics etc.

Disagree if you wish.

Scandall
A child can die in a pool, can die crossing the street or can be struck by lightning. Having a gun in the house just ads to the possibilities.

Besides, visiting a swimming pool only lasts a few hours. Keeping a gun in the house where a child LIVES creates a 24 hour/day possibility that something can happen.

Larry

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Larry said:

Larry

I knew there was somethinf funny about you! You were a watchyman, weren't you? Just admit it Larry... ;)

Gun control cab be a sketchy issue.

Take away the guns from the honest, law-abiding citizens who utilize the proper channels to obtain their firearms and then you're left with a bunch of criminals, morons and misfits brandishing weapons.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Larry said:
A child can die in a pool, can die crossing the street or can be struck by lightning. Having a gun in the house just ads to the possibilities.

Larry

So does not having smoke alarms, or having alcohol, medicine, knives etc.....but you can't defend yourself against an attacker with any of them very well.

Scandall

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
heldengebroed said:
If my memory is correct only 3 percent off trained soldiers kill in action.

Johan

Interesting. Where do those figures come from? Which country?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Scandall said:

Disagree if you wish.

Scandall
That's why we started to "drown-proof" the kids when they were 6 months old. We new they couldn't swim yet, but hoped that bobbing in the water the extra few minutes would make a difference if the worst happened. I haven't heard of making a kid "bullet-proof".