Exploring the north ? HELP needed!

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Ive watched this site a lot over the last couple of months and very much enjoy the posts. (especially Howmar ? Planner ? Sunshine ? Escott ? Rocky?.) Im wary of the responses I may get but here goes??.

Returning to Playa Dorada on the 1st of Feb with my girlfriend. Ive been many times before ? however this time want to venture out just that little bit further and im looking for some advice as to where to go that?s
a) English speaking, ( sorry, I know I should learn Spanish but?.)
b) Friendly and
c) safe. Also not too far away from Playa D.

Im a nightclub manager in the uk and clubbing in the DR is not really what we are looking for (Mangu owner - if your reading this and need a new manager let me know ) however Caf? Cito has caught our eye and I think that we will visit there. On our last trip in May we made friends with some of the guys at ( please excuse the spelling ) Burgentine and will return there for an afternoon but where else??

Rockys seems to come up a lot ? how close is that to Playa D?
FOD ? whilst sounds nice I don?t think can offer anything we cant get in the AI resort.
Blackbeards isn?t our thing so wont go there for dinner so where else can you suggest.

Your help will be gratefully received and appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Dan & Jen

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
wishingiwasthere said:
Ive watched this site a lot over the last couple of months and very much enjoy the posts. (especially Howmar – Planner – Sunshine – Escott – Rocky….) Im wary of the responses I may get but here goes…….

Returning to Playa Dorada on the 1st of Feb with my girlfriend. Ive been many times before – however this time want to venture out just that little bit further and im looking for some advice as to where to go that’s
a) English speaking, ( sorry, I know I should learn Spanish but….)
b) Friendly and
c) safe. Also not too far away from Playa D.

Im a nightclub manager in the uk and clubbing in the DR is not really what we are looking for (Mangu owner - if your reading this and need a new manager let me know ) however Caf? Cito has caught our eye and I think that we will visit there. On our last trip in May we made friends with some of the guys at ( please excuse the spelling ) Burgentine and will return there for an afternoon but where else??

Rockys seems to come up a lot – how close is that to Playa D?
FOD – whilst sounds nice I don’t think can offer anything we cant get in the AI resort.
Blackbeards isn’t our thing so wont go there for dinner so where else can you suggest.

Your help will be gratefully received and appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Dan & Jen
Rocky's is in Sosua, about 25 minutes from Playa Dorada, about 10 minutes back past the airport. Sosua is worth the trip. It is a typical beach resort town with a mix of tourists, ex-pats and locals. I would suggest a visit for a day on the beach or an evening in the clubs. Whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner, you'll meet some of the local ex-pats, including a few Brits, at Rocky's. From Playa Dorada it is about $25 US by taxi or 20 pesos by guagua (local minibus). If you should decide on taking public transportation, PM me and I'll fill you in.
As far as Cafe Cito, it's within a half mile of Playa Dorada. They have a weekly Pub Crawl that leaves by bus every week and will give you a flavor of the local Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete clubs and bars, and return you safely to your hotel even if you're in no shape to walk. See: http://www.popreport.com/CC2/Index2.htm

PS- Thanks for top billing.

Last edited:

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Welcome to DR1! I would love to spend some time with you and your girlfriend, I love to meet new people in the DR.

I?m sure we can come up with a lot of interesting things to do. I don?t particularly thrive on the club-disco scene but you would be surprised how many things there are to do around Puerto Plata.

Stay in touch,

Sunnie

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Thanks so far to you two! We would love to meet you with you for a drink. Has any one else got any suggstions for a nice beech resturant with a great view perhaps?

Definately a visit to Rocky's is a must - will try and use public transport and will PM Howmar for further details - however we do want to try and sample a little more "real life" away from the AI atmosphere.

So any nice "dream view" resturants, perhaps a bonfire on the beach type thing sounds great!

Thanks for the help so far.

Kindest regards

Dan & Jenny
16 days to go!!!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
All good advices.
And do take Sunnie up for a "tour" of the ordinary Puerto Plata life, may it be daytime or a tour of the night..
You?ll have fun!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
? agree on what has been posted and suggest that you really have an "adventure" and come to Santiago for a day and night. On the cheap!

Not just for the nightlife--such as it is-- but to see a real Dominican town, eat at some nice restaurants, perhaps see the best cultural center in the Caribbean, and in 18 or so days, we will be in Carnival mode, too.:p:p:p

So there is plenty to see and do for a day and night. It is clean, safe, of course, and lots of family type fun....

Let me know if you want some help...:D:D:D

HB, the Santiago city rep (along with Texas Bill, AZB, Snuffy and a few more..)