Volunteering in the DR

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006

I am very interested in moving to the DR in the not so distant future. Once there, I would like to teach english to the young schoolchildren there. I would also like to visit a school and maybe help out, when I go for vacation.
Does anyone have any information they could share on that subject?

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
The DR is a large country, do you know where you are moving to? That may help people answer your question.

cocacola33

Oct 25, 2005
I am volunterring in Puerto Plata for 4 months this summer, i posted about this on DR1 but only recieved a smalla mount of feedback (2/3 replys). PM for more information, thanks x

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
tarrantino said:

I am very interested in moving to the DR in the not so distant future. Once there, I would like to teach english to the young schoolchildren there. I would also like to visit a school and maybe help out, when I go for vacation.

Hi Tarrantino,

Think of these issues, and I am sure many valued members of this board can help you.

1. Your location is important, where are you moving?

2. When you move here, do you want to work as a volunteer full time, or have a schedule at a school or in a project, say for a certain amount of hours.

3. There are several organizations and fundations, also with members of DR1, that are involved in both charity and other projects where children are involved.

4. If you want to volunteer full time, I suggest you contact any of the legal foundations with backtrack records and apply for volunteering.

5. If you are interested in partly volunteering, depending on location, you can contact Laprofe on this messageboard for Puerto Plata, Chris for Punta Rucia,
HillBilly for Santiago, Snowbird for Puerto Plata as well.

6. For organizations, depending on where you?re going, Dreamproject, Fundacion Patria, Integracion Juvenil, Punta Rusia Project, Sosua Kids might be a choice for you.
There are more as well.

7. For a private iniative, contact Sunnie on this messageboard. She is helping a few kids of the street to read & write, and learn English.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
solange said:
I have a volunteer project going on in Munoz, Puerto Plata. I have at this moment volunteers staying here at Suncamp. If you like I can give you their references. Please visit my website for more information www.suncampdr.com
I can also give you information for teaching here (weather volunteer or private teaching, or teaching in private schools). My e-mail is: info@suncampdr.com
Welcome!
I see you now have a new nickname, Dianne.
Do you really think that changing your posting name and the name of your business will just slide by?
Your bad reputation is well deserved, and it's about time you stop coming onto DR1 to try to get free publicity and recruit clients.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Rocky said:
I see you now have a new nickname, Dianne.
Do you really think that changing your posting name and the name of your business will just slide by?
Your bad reputation is well deserved, and it's about time you stop coming onto DR1 to try to get free publicity and recruit clients.

Ouch. I guess we can assume that you two know each other.

Scandall

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Scandall said:
Ouch. I guess we can assume that you two know each other.

Scandall

Or that our Rocky is just a guy, able to read and get the facts between the lines.....:classic: :classic: :classic: :classic: :classic:
Nothing escapes Rocky. Nothing.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
tarrantino said:

Sorry, I was so busy trying to ask the right question , I neglected to say that when I do move to the DR it will be somwhere around Sosua. Maybe you can suggest somewhere that might be a safe area. I don't want to move into the big city. Ideally, I wouldwant to live close enough to an area that might need volunteers, (which could be any where) which is why I am asking for advice.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Maybe the organization SOSUA KIDS will be a good choice for you then.
I don?t seem to find the URL right now, but I am sure someone will fill you in after my posting.

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
rellosk said:
This relationship does seem to be going on for quite sometime. It's a DR1 classic:

It is amazing that she would be advertising her hotel under the guise of running a charity. You'd think at this point she'd just pay for an ad.

Anything to get a hotel guest maybe?:bandit:

There are many kinds of foundations and organizations in this field.
If someone claim to be representing such, they are registered and
have a legal status.

Other possibilities to help out are of course by helping in individual cases,
by churches, companies etc. In those cases it is also very clear from the people involved that it is NOT a foundation etc, and there are no claims that you need to live at a certain place, pay this or that etc, as the foundations might have due to the status of the volunteer work applied for.

If you are not a foundation or organization, but still have claims such as you need to stay at a certain apartment rental etc, then this might be a reason for underlying motives.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Where to live

It's near impossible to suggest where to live around Sosua, as personal taste, budget, needs, etc, all come in to play.
The best way to do it, is to give yourself a week to find what suits you best.
There are enough good people around here, that you'll be well taken care of.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
carina said:
Maybe the organization SOSUA KIDS will be a good choice for you then.
I don?t seem to find the URL right now, but I am sure someone will fill you in after my posting.
Here's one link I found.

There is another link that I found on another board that I would post it but it would only be deleted. Send me a PM if you want that link.

Another charity in the area is The Dream Project. They are a 501c3 corporation, which in my mind makes them more legit. (I also like that I see the firm of Guzman Ariza associated with the organization).

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Another contact may be Pastor Julio Mena who lives in the Cabarete area.

His phone number(s) are 809-292-0558 or 809-634-9519.

Good Luck,

JD

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Not sure that Sosua kids need volunteers as much as they need money and school supplies.

They provide uniforms and school supplies for families that can't buy these things in order for kids to attend school.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
Not sure that Sosua kids need volunteers as much as they need money and school supplies.

They provide uniforms and school supplies for families that can't buy these things in order for kids to attend school.

I know that, but the question was also to visit a school, and teach English in a school as a volunteer. I am sure Sosua Kids have those contacts in Sosua.